List of non-hits for new MJ listeners

Mr. Norway

Proud Member
I was inspired by a list I read that Joe Vogel had put together in his book of songs he would recommend to non-fans to listen to by MJ, besides the obvious hits that everybody knows. The list, containing 10 songs, should also display a diversity in style. A fun game, I thought, and here is my list. Not easy but still... what do you think about it and please feel free to make your own lists. (PS! Yes, it`s certainly possible to claim that songs such as Jam, Give in to me and Who is it are hits, but now I talk about MASSIVE hits)

1. Jam
2. Ghosts
3. Speed demon
4. Someone in the dark
5. Morphine
6. Who is it
7. Butterflies
8. Give in to me
9. Streetwalker
10. The lady in my life

- Fall Again
- On The Line
- Dirty Diana Keep The Faith
- Who Is It
- Whatever Happens
- Blood On The Dance Floor
- Liberian Girl
- The Lady In My Life
- Is It Scary
- It's The Falling In Love

Last edited:
- Fall Again
- On The Line
- Dirty Diana
- Who Is It
- Whatever Happens
- Blood On The Dance Floor
- Liberian Girl
- The Lady In My Life
- Is It Scary
- It's The Falling In Love

I think Dirty Diana is counted as one of the hits. At least in my book.

Massive hits? I assume you mean the singles that sold the most. Jam was a pretty massive hit, though, since it was in the charts (peak position no.1) for about 20 weeks according to some statistic websites. But anyway, this does look kinda fun, I'll try to go for some underrated songs to recommend.

1. Free
2. Dangerous
3. Scared of the Moon
4. Off the Wall
5. Speechless
6. Money
7. Morphine
8. Is It Scary
9. (I Like) The Way You Love Me
10. I'm So Blue

In no particular order.

Last edited:
I was inspired by a list I read that Joe Vogel had put together in his book of songs he would recommend to non-fans to listen to by MJ, besides the obvious hits that everybody knows. The list, containing 10 songs, should also display a diversity in style. A fun game, I thought, and here is my list. Not easy but still... what do you think about it and please feel free to make your own lists. (PS! Yes, it`s certainly possible to claim that songs such as Jam, Give in to me and Who is it are hits, but now I talk about MASSIVE hits)

1. Jam
2. Ghosts
3. Speed demon
4. Someone in the dark
5. Morphine
6. Who is it
7. Butterflies
8. Give in to me
9. Streetwalker
10. The lady in my life

1. Slave To The Rythm
2. Xscape
3. Blue Gangsta
4. For All Time
5. Shout
6. We've Had Enough
7. Beautiful Girl
8. Much Too Soon
9. Behind The Mask
10. She Got It

some of these are unreleased but just search them on youtube :) enjoy them, truly classic song's deserving of recognition of the highest calibar.

Last edited:
Get On The Floor
I Can't Help It
Baby Be Mine
The Lady In My Life
Speed Demon
Keep The Faith
Is It Scary
Unbreakable
Threatened
Morphine
Slave To The Rhythm
Free

Get On The Floor
I Can't Help It
Baby Be Mine
The Lady In My Life
Speed Demon
Keep The Faith
Is It Scary
Unbreakable
Threatened
Morphine
Slave To The Rhythm
Free

keep the faith is a gem, would for sure recommend that if you havent heard it already @Mr. Norway :) slave to the rythm, greatest unreleased song that has leaked, free is a masterpiece would certainly recommend that to the thread starter also :)

I think Dirty Diana is counted as one of the hits. At least in my book.

252291.jpeg

keep the faith is a gem, would for sure recommend that if you havent heard it already @Mr. Norway :) slave to the rythm, greatest unreleased song that has leaked, free is a masterpiece would certainly recommend that to the thread starter also :)

- Zakk, I appreciate the recommandations but I can assure you that I did not start this thread because of my own lack of knowledge to MJ`s music. It was frankly just a game to see which songs you would recommend to people who are not that familiar with his music, besides the obvious BIG hits that everybody knows.

DangerousSC: No, I didn`t actually mean the most-selling singles. You`re probably right that Jam may have sold a lot. Still, it`s not considered to be one of the huge hits that everybody (besides us fans of course) knows. When people in general are asked to name five MJ songs there are a lot of famous and popular songs that are repeatedly mentioned and Jam is not usually among those.

And yes, I consider Dirty Diana among his HUGE HITS :)

PS! About Slave to the rhytm: Great song, amazing vocals but HORRIBLE production!!!!!!!!! I really don`t hope MJ would keep it that way if he was going to release it.

My list:

Hollywood Tonight
Threatened
Whatever Happens
She Drives Me Wild
Morphine
Who Is It
Dangerous
(I Like) The Way You Love Me
We've Had Enough
Is It Scary

It's hard to pick just 10. In no particular order:

Who Is It
Someone In The Dark (his vocals are otherwordly)
Give In To Me
Get On The Floor
Heartbreak Hotel
Time Waits For No One
Morphine
Cheater
For All Time
Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
Lady In My Life
On The Line
Give In To Me
For All Time
Whatever Happens
Who Is It
We've Had Enough
Streetwalker
Earth Song (apparently not that big in the US)

Keep The Faith
Lady In My Life
On The Line
Give In To Me
For All Time
Whatever Happens
Who Is It
We've Had Enough
Streetwalker

- Well, Earth Song is DEFINATELY considered one of his biggest hits no matter what the US says. But it`s okay, I can give you one doubtfull choice :)

Give In To Me
Who Is It
Whatever Happens
Keep The Faith
Heartbreak Hotel
That's What You Get For Being Polite
Everybody
Speed Demon
Butterflies
Smile
Why You Wanna Trip On Me

LindavG;3886706 said:
What was the list Joe Vogel came up with? Just curious.

- Linda, at first I didn`t remember where I had read it, but I knew it was somewhere on the site. Then, suddenly, it hit me that it was in the Q&A session with Joe Vogel. So here is the whole section.

MJJC: In your last piece "The Top Ten Michael Jackson Songs of All Time" you wrote "If I were forced to gather together a group of songs to hold up against the best work of the Beatles or Bob Dylan or Prince, these are the ones I would bring." I'd like to know, if you were asked to put together an album not for the fans, but for people who do not know Michael Jackson or have never appreciated his music, which songs would you choose to include in this album to make these people know and understand Michael Jackson, the artist and the man, and his music?

Joe Vogel: In a way, that was part of the philosophy of my Top Ten list: What ten songs really showcase Michael’s genius, working in different styles from different parts of his career. But if I were to throw together a mix for a non-fan, I might do: In the Back, Butterflies, Cheater, In the Closet, Give in to Me, Morphine, Stranger, 2Bad, Human Nature, Little Susie, Will You Be There, Threatened. I’d probably go with a lot of lesser-known tracks, because part of the problem with Michael Jackson is his classic songs are so familiar many people can’t hear them anymore.

PS! About Slave to the rhytm: Great song, amazing vocals but HORRIBLE production!!!!!!!!! I really don`t hope MJ would keep it that way if he was going to release it.

yes, horrible production. but only on the leaked version, remixed by tricky Stewart for the Michael album in 2010! we are yet to hear the original composition that was being slated for the invincible album as it was recorded and worked on by Michael in 1998, I hope we hear the demo in the future, finished by either Rodney Jerkins, Dr. Freeze or Michael Prince & Brad Buxer :)

We´ve had enough
Little Susie
Give in to me
Keep the faith
Will you be there
Whatever happens
Speechless
Stranger in moscow
Morphine
Childhood

Heartbreak Hotel
Al Capone
Come Together (best version btw)
She drives me wild
Who is it
Money
History
Ghosts
2000 Watts
Heartbreaker

Last edited:
Can't forget Will You Be There. Most non-fans I know love that song :) Oh, and Stranger In Moscow because it's probably his deepest and most autobiographical song.

Heartbreak Hotel
Al Capone
Come Together (best version btw)
She drives me wild
Who is it
Money
History
Ghosts
2000 Watts
Heartbreaker

great selection of song's right there, in my opinion some of michael's greatest song's. especially Money, i love that song dearly :)

Last edited:
Bolded is 'She Drives Me Wild' Featured on the 1991 Dangerous Album Released by Sony/Epic Records. Copyright MJJProductions Inc. :)

Well that was the most embarrassing thing ever, i love the song so much and i definitely knew that and all but i was singing it my head when i thought about it and wow ummm, wow lol

Life Of The Party (Jackson 5)
Everybody's Somebody's Fool (young MJ)
Up Again (young MJ)
Even Though You're Gone (Jacksons)
Show You The Way To Go (Jacksons)
Your Ways (Jacksons)
Time Waits For No One (Jacksons)
Walk Right Now (Jacksons)
Torture (Jacksons)
Girlfriend
I Can't Help It
Liberian Girl
Speed Demon
Who Is It
Will You Be There
Ghosts
Morphine
Heartbreaker
Butterflies
Heaven Can Wait
Whatever Happens
Threatened

Keep The Faith
Lady In My Life
On The Line
Give In To Me
For All Time
Whatever Happens
Who Is It

We've Had Enough
Streetwalker

Add Heaven Can Wait, I Can't Help It, Human Nature, Keep The Faith, Shout, YRMW, and (I Can't Make It) Another Day. :punk:

yes, horrible production. but only on the leaked version, remixed by tricky Stewart for the Michael album in 2010! we are yet to hear the original composition that was being slated for the invincible album as it was recorded and worked on by Michael in 1998, I hope we hear the demo in the future, finished by either Rodney Jerkins, Dr. Freeze or Michael Prince & Brad Buxer :)

Slave To The Rhythm was recorded in 89/90. It is a Dangerous outtake.

How has no one mentioned Tabloid Junkie

also Id pick

Xscape
I Can't Help It
Speed Demon
Fly Away
I'm So Blue
Dangerous
Who Is It
Butterflies
Break Of Dawn
Baby Be Mine