List of Bands/Artists who CAN read and write sheet music

analogue

Proud Member
A while ago i made a thread called ''List of artists who can't read sheet music'' so now i'm interested to know what bands and artists can read sheet music.

So does anyone know any bands/artists out there that can read sheet music?

take away the ones from your previous thread and you'll probably end up with an answer for this one. i'd imagine only a minority of successful musician-artists don't have at least a basic knowledge of technical theory, because it's not a hard thing to grasp, especially when you already have the natural talent and vision.

Quincy Jones
Burt Bacharach
Debbie Gibson
George Martin
Minnie Riperton
Patrice Rushen
Dudley Moore
Flavor Flav (had classical piano training, can also play a few other instruments)
Wendy Melvoin
Matt Fink (Dr. Fink)
Lisa Coleman
Donny Hathaway
Eric Leeds
Duke Ellington
Phillip Bailey

Q on the notation:

How did you learn how to read music?

Quincy: I don't know. I just started and had to pay attention. It's logical though. If you're standing out from all the other people you know you're playing it wrong, so you have to understand the value of each note. There's only four beats in each bar, or six or three or whatever it is. You just use your mother wit, common sense really.

So you learned on your own?

Quincy: Yeah. In school they had books and so forth. It's easy to get next to music theory, especially between your peers and music classes and so forth. You just pay attention. I had a good ear, so I realized that printed music was just about reminding you what to play. A lot of people say, "Count Basie and Earl Hines don't read music. That's amazing!" It has nothing to do with it. Reading music is just a way to document it so you can remember what to play at the same time, but the creation of music has nothing to do with it. That's a divine sense in a way.​

Back