Lipsynching On The History Tour And Other Times

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
I know i've complained about Michael lipsynching on The History Tour to no end lol, but I'm just wondering why he lip synched sometimes during ballads and midtempo songs? I don't like the lip synching period but I can understand it more for the upbeat songs 'cause I'd imagine that it's difficult to sing and dance at the same time, but what is the reason for not singing on ballads when he can obviously pull it off? Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQTj5OzQMy8&yt

Fans always say his voice was strained on this tour which is why he lip synched so much, but he sang so beautifully in that video I posted, so it doesn't make sense to me. I don't get why anyone would lip synch a ballad. It reminds me of the time when MJ performed "Remember The Time" at the soul train awards in a chair because he had sprained his foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qxRaPcYOVc

What was the reason for lip synching here? That was just lazy to me, he could have at least had a microphone on to make it look more believable lol.

because i don't believe that at the era of his career his could sing live, just listen to scream at brunei.... sounds terrible.

and human nature on dangerous tour.... he sounds.... well, not very goood i don't think

that's just my opinion =]

I know i've complained about Michael lipsynching on The History Tour to no end lol, but I'm just wondering why he lip synched sometimes during ballads and midtempo songs? I don't like the lip synching period but I can understand it more for the upbeat songs 'cause I'd imagine that it's difficult to sing and dance at the same time, but what is the reason for not singing on ballads when he can obviously pull it off? Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQTj5OzQMy8&yt

Fans always say his voice was strained on this tour which is why he lip synched so much, but he sang so beautifully in that video I posted, so it doesn't make sense to me. I don't get why anyone would lip synch a ballad. It reminds me of the time when MJ performed "Remember The Time" at the soul train awards in a chair because he had sprained his foot.

What was the reason for lip synching here? That was just lazy to me, he could have at least had a microphone on to make it look more believable lol.

yes..this question is brought up too much. whether or not he is acutally lip sycning...his presence is a sung song. he can do anything he wants at this point, cus he's Michael Jackson...and we'll go and see him do it. we already know he's talented. he has nothing to prove. and, when i'm there seeing him, i can't tell the difference of what he's actually doing..it all looks real to me. and feels real. and there are a combination of things he's always doing during the performance, which are very real, and take a monstrous amount of talent to do.

this is a question that is asked when we are waiting a long time for new MJ, and we have no other questions to ask in my opinion. so..i guess..lol..since it was posted, i have to admit, i'm expressing my irritation with the question, cus it's one of the most unnecessarily asked questions with the most record askings..or..at least among the most record askings. in between all the askings are the performances where he dazzles with a live performance. so..to me, it's just complaining. lol...i don't really want to post in this manner, but, the question has, once again, been asked by someone, who, i assume, is already impressed with his talent..so...i guess, since it was publicly posted, i figured i'd risk being honest and getting whatever reaction i got, publicly. the reaction to my opinion doesn't bother me, cus MJ's talent and success, which we all appreciate, is worth it.:)

As vncwilliam - Michael's talent and success is unquestionable and I appreciate every performance he has done. However, as with Britney in the UK recently, if Michael decides to perform and lyp synches it will go down like a lead balloon. I am not comparing Michael to Britney, merely looking from the public and media point of view at what they are looking for. The fact that I am writting about it annoys me! I am sure his talent will win through . . . and this is all based on the assumption that something might happen . . . because Michael doesn't have to do anything.

While mid tempo and ballads may sound like they are easier to sing, they simply aren't. They take a lot more control than faster songs. Ballads generally have longer notes to hold etc.

Yes he can do it, but obviously on the HIStory tour, there was something wrong or some reason he couldn't sing live, so he lip synced.

In regards to TV performances- pretty much everyone in pop does it lol. Some of Michael's best performances have been lip synced. Motown 25, MTV 10, Grammy's 88. Could be just a perfectionist thing. :)

As vncwilliam - Michael's talent and success is unquestionable and I appreciate every performance he has done. However, as with Britney in the UK recently, if Michael decides to perform and lyp synches it will go down like a lead balloon. I am not comparing Michael to Britney, merely looking from the public and media point of view at what they are looking for. The fact that I am writting about it annoys me! I am sure his talent will win through . . . and this is all based on the assumption that something might happen . . . because Michael doesn't have to do anything.

ur looking from the public and media point of view? lol...

why should that matter to you?

and although i wouldn't compare MJ to Britney, her star is not hurt by anything she has done, apparently.

we have no idea how an MJ performance would go down, until we see it. so far, nothing that MJ has done has dimmed his bright star. so..that's how i rest my case.

sure - I accept I cannot tell the future re how it would go down - if I could tell the future then my world would be very fun :)

- however it matters to me because MJ has such talent and it interests me how different artists have been received in the UK - it seems to have nothing to do with how massive or small they are - rather when, where and how they choose to perform - that's all.

:)

i wont say a thing..its been covered too man times already but i will say he has sung live from j5-thru bad. he was having problems with his voice during the dangerous and history shows. id rather have him miming on tours and singing live in the studio then have him tarnish his voice. hes is michael jackson @ this point in his career or even @ that point he had basically done everything u cud do lol. the reviews sure didnt mind the miming.

yes..this question is brought up too much. whether or not he is acutally lip sycning...his presence is a sung song. he can do anything he wants at this point, cus he's Michael Jackson...and we'll go and see him do it. we already know he's talented. he has nothing to prove. and, when i'm there seeing him, i can't tell the difference of what he's actually doing..it all looks real to me. and feels real. and there are a combination of things he's always doing during the performance, which are very real, and take a monstrous amount of talent to do.

this is a question that is asked when we are waiting a long time for new MJ, and we have no other questions to ask in my opinion. so..i guess..lol..since it was posted, i have to admit, i'm expressing my irritation with the question, cus it's one of the most unnecessarily asked questions with the most record askings..or..at least among the most record askings. in between all the askings are the performances where he dazzles with a live performance. so..to me, it's just complaining. lol...i don't really want to post in this manner, but, the question has, once again, been asked by someone, who, i assume, is already impressed with his talent..so...i guess, since it was publicly posted, i figured i'd risk being honest and getting whatever reaction i got, publicly. the reaction to my opinion doesn't bother me, cus MJ's talent and success, which we all appreciate, is worth it.:)

I understand what you're saying and I know the lip synching topic has been covered at nauseum, but I am not just ranting about Michael lip synching all the time or using this as an excuse to complain about him. I am just wondering why he has chosen to lip synch ballads and mid tempo songs in the past.

While mid tempo and ballads may sound like they are easier to sing, they simply aren't. They take a lot more control than faster songs. Ballads generally have longer notes to hold etc.

Yes he can do it, but obviously on the HIStory tour, there was something wrong or some reason he couldn't sing live, so he lip synced.

In regards to TV performances- pretty much everyone in pop does it lol. Some of Michael's best performances have been lip synced. Motown 25, MTV 10, Grammy's 88. Could be just a perfectionist thing. :)

Good point, but surely he could have at least attempted so sing live a little more on that tour. Then again I don't know what was going on behind the scenes. It does make me wonder though why he was able to pull off YANA so well in that video, but couldn't be bothered to sing it live most of the time.

As far as his live TV performances go, he actually danced during Billie Jean so I was not as bothered, it's one of the few times that his lip synching did not bother me. As for the Grammy's '88 he didn't lip synch the whole thing, he sang the beginnning of "The Way You Make Me Feel" live, as well as the end of "Man In The Mirror". The performance I posted of him at soul train is still the worst to me though, he didn't even attempt to pretend he wasn't singing live. It was still kinda entertaining though i'll admit. Only Michael could get away with that.

I understand what you're saying and I know the lip synching topic has been covered at nauseum, but I am not just ranting about Michael lip synching all the time or using this as an excuse to complain about him. I am just wondering why he has chosen to lip synch ballads and mid tempo songs in the past.

Good point, but surely he could have at least attempted so sing live a little more on that tour. Then again I don't know what was going on behind the scenes. It does make me wonder though why he was able to pull off YANA so well in that video, but couldn't be bothered to sing it live most of the time.

As far as his live TV performances go, he actually danced during Billie Jean so I was not as bothered, it's one of the few times that his lip synching did not bother me. As for the Grammy's '88 he didn't lip synch the whole thing, he sang the beginnning of "The Way You Make Me Feel" live, as well as the end of "Man In The Mirror". The performance I posted of him at soul train is still the worst to me though, he didn't even attempt to pretend he wasn't singing live. It was still kinda entertaining though i'll admit. Only Michael could get away with that.

and the emboldened is my point exactly. lol :lol:

and that performance of rtt is a repeat of the original impromptu one he did when he didn't want to perform the song at all at the original awards show. and it's still entertaining.

i'm still looking for the original impromptu one. obviously, people were so impressed with the original, they asked him to do it again, and i never thought of whether or not he sang in the original, until all these questions were brought up. lol

and i'm still impressed, even after all these questions have been brought up. lol

I

I agree with you about the mic, he could at least have a mic. :lol: It annoys me so much! Although it was very proffessional of him to do this perfomance for his fans even though his leg was strained. :) And it's funny ofcourse, only Michael can get away with that, haha.

Back