Liberian Girl has a bit of Speed Demon

vinniram

Proud Member
Anyone else notice that when you play Liberian Girl, it starts with a little bit of the end of Speed Demon? At least, my copy of the CD has that where the beats at the end of Speed Demon continue into the start of Liberian Girl. I know they're one after the other, but I've played Liberian Girl by itself and have heard this continuation in the very first few seconds of the song. I think it's pretty cool :)

That was common back then to have songs fade into each other or have songs connected and not fade out.

That was common back then to have songs fade into each other or have songs connected and not fade out.

Just about every track on Stevies Characters has crossover. I find it annoying to be honest. Especially if you want a compilation and you have to fade out early and miss out on parts of the song.

I dont think there is a copy of Speed Demon without the LG intro except on rare vinyl promos of SD.
speeddemoncover.jpg

^^^^Stevie did that a lot on various albums. I remember on the CD version of Prince's "Lovesexy", the tracks weren't separated. If you wanted to listen to a specific song you had to fast forward to it like a cassette.

I hate when songs do that. I never really listen to albums in the original order of the songs. I usually shuffle. And it makes for a weird effect.

I hate when songs do that. I never really listen to albums in the original order of the songs. I usually shuffle. And it makes for a weird effect.
But you've got to remember that before CD's came out, there was no shuffle. You either had to listen to the whole album as it is or move the needle to the track you wanted. Or fast foward if it was a cassette or reel-to-reel. A lot of albums back then were designed to listen to the whole thing as one, especially "concept" albums. This was one of the reasons songs were connected. What was worse was 8-tracks, lol. A lot of the time a song would be cut in two as it went to the next "program". A "program" is the four sections on the player. Also songs tended to be in a different order on 8-tracks than on the regular album to make the songs fit better in each section.

Back