Leona Lewis. (The new Mariah/Whitney)

Sparkle72

Proud Member
Since she's been HUGE over here in the UK for months, I've noticed she's got to #1 with "BLeeding Love".

WOW...That's awesome!

What does everyone think of her?

Here's some songs from her debut album "Spirit" due out in America on April 8th.

Bleeding Love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF84pIhP5UM

Better In Time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNoDUblAtE

Whatever It Takes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_-pDhCkjk

Here I Am:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOuyLIktHIQ

Angel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prE72D9mEiQ

I hate that song, Bleeding Love. "I keep bleeding, I keep keep bleeding"... put on a damn band-aid and SHUT UP!

lol same here. its all ive heard for months. its so annoying shes got a decent voice but certainly no where near whitney or even mariah and i dont even like mariah

Yeh, I might not hate the song so much if it wasn't the only song on radio station's playlists for the past few weeks.

I like Leona i think shes got some good songs apart from the obivous i like Yesturday

I Love Leona :yes: She is for me the Whitney and Mariah of the UK anyway, He vocal range is amazing and has that WOW factor.. from the first audtion on X factor and watching her grow and better week by week I knew she would win and thought she is gonna to be a huge star and she deserves it too with a voice like that, She is still young so her voice will only mature over the years and get better still.. I'm gonna post some of my fave performances some being from her time on X factor, Some of them were amazing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vv4jPexww8

First audtion - Somewhere over the rainbow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ozkK8K6ndI&feature=related
Whitney's
I have nothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpkJD7TjWgw

All by myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEqjX-16OWk

First time ever I saw your face

I love "Better In Time". She is a talented and very promising singer. It's true, borrowing some vocals and visual elements from singers like Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston and Beyonce, but she is very promising and has a strong, melodious voice.

Leona Lewis has a fantastic voice and she really knows how to hit those notes. Bleeding Love was a great song and will be considered a classic in years to come however I can't say the same for her album. I got her album for Christmas and I have to say I was really disappointed, I can't fault her vocal performance on it but the songs themselves are pretty bland and not very creative. Each song on the album seems to sound extremely similar, the only ones that really stand out are Bledding Love, Better In Time and her cover of Roberta Flack's The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face. The songs are just mostly generic R&B or ballads that sound just like all the ones that X Factor makes their winner sing for their debut single. Bleeding Love though is incredible, emotional and unique and I love the musical arrangement on it and I love the way Leona's voice soars towards the climax of the song.

Leona is an very talented vocalist its just a shame that she doesn't have the right kind of songs to hit a chord. Hopefully next time round, her album will have some stronger songs and that she will get some more creative freedom.

Last edited:
I love "Better In Time". She is a talented and very promising singer. It's true, borrowing some vocals and visual elements from singers like Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston and Beyonce, but she is very promising and has a strong, melodious voice.

whoa....Beyonce? lol......actually i think she's better than Beyonce..lol

you know...i wish people wouldn't say the next mariah celine..or whoever, cus...that puts the burden on the singer..and there's only one of each singer...and besides...she's the next...Leona..and that's more than good enough...but..lol...i understand that it's a compliment to her and the singers that you mention..lol

Leona Lewis has a fantastic voice and she really knows how to hit those notes. Bleeding Love was a great song and will be considered a classic in years to come however I can't say the same for her album. I got her album for Christmas and I have to say I was really disappointed, I can't fault her vocal performance on it but the songs themselves are pretty bland and not very creative. Each song on the album seems to sound extremely similar, the only ones that really stand out are Bledding Love, Better In Time and her cover of Roberta Flack's The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face. The songs are just mostly generic R&B or ballads that sound just like all the ones that X Factor makes their winner sing for their debut single. Bleeding Love though is incredible, emotional and unique and I love the musical arrangement on it and I love the way Leona's voice soars towards the climax of the song.

Leona is an very talented vocalist its just a shame that she doesn't have the right kind of songs to hit a chord. Hopefully next time round, her album will have some stronger songs and that she will get some more creative freedom.

this is a quote i was hoping for..cus it makes you appreciate the most underappreciated member of the music industry... the songwriter.

i really don't like bleeding love. i think the videos posted above, feature much greater classic songs, than bleeding love. i think 'all by myself' and, 'i have nothing' and 'first time ever i saw your face are gems..classic compositions. and i think that her remake of 'first time ever i saw your face' is gunna help her tremendously. this is definitely proof that a singer is tremendous...but she's nothing without a great songwriter.

and it looks like the UK has the usa beat, as far as x factor or pop or american idol type competitions are concerned....cus i don't think that any american idol winners have crossed over successfully to the UK and the rest of the world...but this first woman contestant winner of x factor is the first winner of an idol type competition to cross over to america and the rest of the world, with success.

oh that simon...lol...making sure his face is all over the place...that he owns the store. lol

Last edited:
I like that "Bleeding Love" song, she has a beautiful voice. Not 2 mention, she is fine as hell.

She can't emote, how does she expect us to believe her music when she herself doesn't when. I dont see her "bleeding the love" she claims to be bleeding. All I see is an actress trying to look sad in a song. She has a decent voice though but she has to start singing from her soul to get my attention.

I can't listen to bleeding love because someone told me its about periods and now everytime I hear it I think of periods.

I can't listen to bleeding love because someone told me its about periods and now everytime I hear it I think of periods.

OMG.
You do realize I'll be thinking that whenever I hear it.

Last edited:
She can't emote, how does she expect us to believe her music when she herself doesn't when. I dont see her "bleeding the love" she claims to be bleeding. All I see is an actress trying to look sad in a song. She has a decent voice though but she has to start singing from her soul to get my attention.

Agreed. She has potential though. I just ain't feeling the same as when a Whitney hit or a Mariah even though Mariah's voice is not like it used to. Touch My Body is weak to me too but uh that's another topic.

Leona's slow vibrato just doesn't sound natural which is especially evident in the ballads. and I spotted some autotune too which I'm not a fan of.

I don't like anybody who has been on 'reality' shows! The votes are all rigged. Anyway we always forget about them after a few months! Anybody in the States know who the MacDonald Brothers are?!:lol::p

Last edited:
whoa....Beyonce? lol......actually i think she's better than Beyonce..lol

you know...i wish people wouldn't say the next mariah celine..or whoever, cus...that puts the burden on the singer..and there's only one of each singer...and besides...she's the next...Leona..and that's more than good enough...but..lol...i understand that it's a compliment to her and the singers that you mention..lol

this is a quote i was hoping for..cus it makes you appreciate the most underappreciated member of the music industry... the songwriter.

i really don't like bleeding love. i think the videos posted above, feature much greater classic songs, than bleeding love. i think 'all by myself' and, 'i have nothing' and 'first time ever i saw your face are gems..classic compositions. and i think that her remake of 'first time ever i saw your face' is gunna help her tremendously. this is definitely proof that a singer is tremendous...but she's nothing without a great songwriter.

and it looks like the UK has the usa beat, as far as x factor or pop or american idol type competitions are concerned....cus i don't think that any american idol winners have crossed over successfully to the UK and the rest of the world...but this first woman contestant winner of x factor is the first winner of an idol type competition to cross over to america and the rest of the world, with success.

oh that simon...lol...making sure his face is all over the place...that he owns the store. lol

I agree with you. It's a great asset to have an extremely good voice and great technique but that can only get you so far. To truly become a great artists you have to have truly great songs. The songs and the voice has to compliment each other to create a winning formula. Writing a song is not hard but writing a memorable and great song is a difficult task. I think too many artists play it safe these days and just create songs for the moment or just do it on a paint by numbers method and regurgitate the same kind of things over and over. Its the songs the step out of the box or that are infused with a great amount of passion emotion or energy that become timeless and memorable.

Last edited:
Back