Korean Couple Let Baby Starve To Death While Caring For Virtual Child

Agent M

Proud Member
Korean Couple Let Baby Starve To Death While Caring For Virtual Child
Telegraph Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:32 EST

37406291.jpg

An internet-obsessed Korean couple allegedly allowed their infant daughter to starve to death while they cared for their virtual child, police said on Friday.

Kim Yoo-chul, 41, and his partner Choi Mi-sun, 25, fed their three-month-old baby only on visits home between 12-hour sessions at a neighbourhood internet cafe, where they were raising an avatar daughter in a Second-Life-style game called Prius online, police said.

Leaving their real daughter at their home in a suburb of Seoul to fend for herself, the pair, who were unemployed, spent hours role-playing in the virtual reality game, which allows users to choose a career and friends, granting them offspring as a reward for passing a certain level.

The pair became obsessed with nurturing their virtual daughter, called Anima, but neglected their real daughter, who was not named.

Eventually, the couple returned home after one 12-hour session in September to find the child dead and called police. The pair were arrested on Friday after an autopsy showed that the baby died from prolonged malnutrition.

"The couple seemed to have lost their will to live a normal life, because they didn't have jobs and gave birth to a premature baby," Chung Jin-won, a police officer in Suwon, the Seoul suburb, told the Yonhap news agency.

"They indulged themselves in the online game of raising a virtual character so as to escape from reality, which led to the death of their real baby."

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/2...tarve-to-death-while-caring-for-virtual-child

I don't know whether to pity them(they clearly have mental issues) or be angry at them.

But RIP to that baby angel.

Makes me feel sick. Some people don't deserve to have children. :no:

Game addiction again. A week ago, there was a news about a guy who was playing games at an Internet cafe found dead. I rarely play games since I know it could be dangerous

May the innocent angel rest in peace. This is why I believe not everyone should be allowed to have offspring.

You might think it's silly but Game addiction is a big problem here.
Well... You never know;;:no:
Yes but it depends on the individual, and you are saying that you don't want to play video games for the fear of becoming addicted...so you're admitting that you have no self control.

I play the games Koreans get really addicted to, like Starcraft, but I don't get "addicted".

I've been playing video games since I was a child and I turned out okay.

Back