Kobe Bryant : "I was mentored by Michael Jackson"

ivy

Proud Member
Out of nowhere one afternoon, Michael Jackson made a call to the irrepressible and isolated Kobe Bryant, and so much changed for him. From a distance, the King of Pop could sense so much of his own obsessive genius within the prodigy. Bryant was the 18-year-old wonder for the Los Angeles Lakers, and no one knew what to make of a restlessness borne of a desperate desire for greatness.

“He noticed I was getting a lot of [expletive] for being different,” Bryant said.

They would talk for hours and hours, visiting at Neverland Ranch, and Bryant has long been fortified by the lessons Jackson instilled about the burden of honoring true talent, about the ways to open your mind to be smarter, sharper and insatiable in the chase.

“It sounds weird, I guess, but it’s true: I was really mentored by the preparation of Michael Jackson,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports.

Bryant isn’t much for nostalgia and sentimentality, but it hung in the air as he cut into his steak over dinner recently in the fourth-floor restaurant at the Graves Hotel. Jackson is gone, but Bryant is going on 15 years with the Lakers.

“We would always talk about how he prepared to make his music, how he prepared for concerts,” Bryant said. “He would teach me what he did: How to make a ‘Thriller’ album, a ‘Bad’ album, all the details that went into it. It was all the validation that I needed – to know that I had to focus on my craft and never waver. Because what he did – and how he did it – was psychotic. He helped me get to a level where I was able to win three titles playing with Shaq because of my preparation, my study. And it’s only all grown.

“That’s the mentality that I have – it’s not an athletic one. It’s not from [Michael] Jordan. It’s not from other athletes.

“It’s from Michael Jackson.”

Kobe Bryant arrived in the NBA as a lone wolf, has played his whole career that way, and that’s how he’ll leave the league. One of the things which Michael Jackson helped him understand was that, ultimately, you’re competing far more with your own standards, your own limits, than someone else’s. Bryant’s never run around in packs of players, never let his career be judged or driven in the context of his contemporaries.

“That’s how I am,” Bryant said. “That’s what made me tough. I didn’t need other guys to push me. This is me. I’m like this with you, and I’m like this without you. Michael [Jackson] was the same way. That was our connection.”

---------------------
I copied the Michael Jackson parts above you can read the Full interview (sport related) in the below link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtfY.L671VvJ1mmozAAsB1G8vLYF?slug=aw-kobebryantchat112310

There is still so much more to learn about Michael Jackson.
Thank you Kobe for sharing your experience with Michael Jackson. :better:

ivy;3094901 said:
Out of nowhere one afternoon, Michael Jackson made a call to the irrepressible and isolated Kobe Bryant, and so much changed for him. From a distance, the King of Pop could sense so much of his own obsessive genius within the prodigy. Bryant was the 18-year-old wonder for the Los Angeles Lakers, and no one knew what to make of a restlessness borne of a desperate desire for greatness.

“He noticed I was getting a lot of [expletive] for being different,” Bryant said.

They would talk for hours and hours, visiting at Neverland Ranch, and Bryant has long been fortified by the lessons Jackson instilled about the burden of honoring true talent, about the ways to open your mind to be smarter, sharper and insatiable in the chase.

“It sounds weird, I guess, but it’s true: I was really mentored by the preparation of Michael Jackson,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports.

Bryant isn’t much for nostalgia and sentimentality, but it hung in the air as he cut into his steak over dinner recently in the fourth-floor restaurant at the Graves Hotel. Jackson is gone, but Bryant is going on 15 years with the Lakers.

“We would always talk about how he prepared to make his music, how he prepared for concerts,” Bryant said. “He would teach me what he did: How to make a ‘Thriller’ album, a ‘Bad’ album, all the details that went into it. It was all the validation that I needed – to know that I had to focus on my craft and never waver. Because what he did – and how he did it – was psychotic. He helped me get to a level where I was able to win three titles playing with Shaq because of my preparation, my study. And it’s only all grown.

“That’s the mentality that I have – it’s not an athletic one. It’s not from [Michael] Jordan. It’s not from other athletes.

Kobe Bryant arrived in the NBA as a lone wolf, has played his whole career that way, and that’s how he’ll leave the league. One of the things which Michael Jackson helped him understand was that, ultimately, you’re competing far more with your own standards, your own limits, than someone else’s. Bryant’s never run around in packs of players, never let his career be judged or driven in the context of his contemporaries.

“That’s how I am,” Bryant said. “That’s what made me tough. I didn’t need other guys to push me. This is me. I’m like this with you, and I’m like this without you. Michael [Jackson] was the same way. That was our connection.”

---------------------
I copied the Michael Jackson parts above you can read the Full interview (sport related) in the below link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtfY.L671VvJ1mmozAAsB1G8vLYF?slug=aw-kobebryantchat112310

Very, very beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.

Kobe is a champ and so are the Lakers. God bless him, his family and his entire team.

Thank you so much for posting. Michael's greatness as an artist has always been surpassed by his greatness as a person. He was by far one of the most special people to ever walk this planet.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-kobebryantchat112310&print=1

Kobe still tough, with assists from the greats

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
10 hours, 46 minutes ago

Printable View
Return to Original ShareretweetEmailPrintMINNEAPOLIS – Out of nowhere one afternoon, Michael Jackson made a call to the irrepressible and isolated Kobe Bryant(notes), and so much changed for him. From a distance, the King of Pop could sense so much of his own obsessive genius within the prodigy. Bryant was the 18-year-old wonder for the Los Angeles Lakers, and no one knew what to make of a restlessness borne of a desperate desire for greatness.

More Stories on Yahoo!NHL star embarrasses his coach after game Bride discusses wedding prank paralysis More From Adrian WojnarowskiHurt Haslem sidelined at least until late February Nov 21, 2010 Roy's knee is the one that scares Blazers Nov 18, 2010
Kobe Bryant, in his 15th NBA season, says his on-court mentality comes from advice offered by the King of Pop.

(Gary Dineen/Getty Images)

[Related: Kobe inspires Kanye West]

Re: Kobe still tough, with assists from the greats

Kobe Bryant is the one singing on Breaking News

I just love hearing these types of stories, stories like these I wish we would hear more of from his family and friends, especially family.

Beautiful. Thank you so much for posting Ivy. Michael touched people in all walks of life. What a wonderful person!

thank u so much ,we still learn new things about Michael and things from Michael ,true genius.

That's interesting. I wondered why he spoke at the memorial to be honest. Now I can see why.

Makes me wonder if mike ever attended a laker game

I know I saw him backstage with Magic Johnson like in 1979-1980 in some old pictures. Not sure if it was a Laker game or a Jackson's concert but Mike has been friendly with Magic for over 30 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to a Laker game in disguise.

Last edited:
Kobe expressed this before about MJ! I remember reading about it before! So I am not surprised! It's awesome! Chris Tucker said something similar about learning from MJ too!

I liked this part in one of the articles:

It's enough to make you wonder where the Lakers would be today without the influence of Michael Jackson. Maybe they'd be less "dangerous," nowhere close to "invincible." I don't mean to suggest they'd have been "bad," but I think we'd have seen a few more "thrillers" in the finals instead of the easy wins we've grown accustomed to. Surely that suggestion isn't "off the wall," so don't tell me to "beat it." Try to "remember the time" when the Lakers beat the Blazers in Game 7 of the 2000 conference finals. That team lived by the motto "don't stop 'til you get enough." And then they made "HIStory."

Makes me wonder if mike ever attended a laker game

He has. One appearance that I know of was during the 1983 NBA Finals. Paula Abdul & the other Laker girls were doing a dance number to "Beat It" and MJ was there checking it out (as well as the game). There's a 2 second clip of him at that game (with other celebs) on a documentary about the 76ers championship season.

'...Bryant has long been fortified by the lessons Jackson instilled about the burden of honoring true talent, about the ways to open your mind to be smarter, sharper and insatiable in the chase...'

One world champion encouraging another. Great story.

Marty In LA

Ah, thank you for posting. Great story.

Michael is truly so inspiring.

Back