King and Queen Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury top Nations Favourite Number One Single

billyworld99

Proud Member
michaeljacksonfreddiemercuryjacksonmercury.jpg

Posted: 2012/07/16 in Michael Jackson
Tags: Billie Jean, Bohemian Rhapsody, Favourite Number One Single, Freddie Mercury, Michael Jackson, Queen

Queen’s classic single ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ saw off strong competition from Michael Jackson’s ‘Billie Jean’ to be crowned the UK’s ‘Favourite Number One Single’.

The poll, which has been carried out by the Official Charts Company, asked people to vote for their favourite UK Number One single of the last 60 years and revealed its winner last night.

Taken from Queen’s fourth album, 1975’s A Night At The Opera, Bohemian Rhapsody reached the top of the Official Singles Chart on November 2nd of that year giving the band their first ever Number 1 single.

Bohemian Rhapsody would return to Number 1 again on December 15, 1991 following the death of lead singer Freddie Mercury. It is the only single to become an Official Christmas Number 1 on two separate occasions and claim the top spot in four different calendar years (1975, 1976, 1991 and 1992).

Coming from ‘Thriller’, one f the best selling albums of all time, Billie Jean was one of the best-selling singles of 1983 and is one of the best-selling singles worldwide. The song topped both the US and UK charts simultaneously on it’s release.
Considered to be one of the most revolutionary songs in history, “Billie Jean” was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in 1989.
The song was promoted with a short film that broke down MTV’s racial barrier as the first video by a black artist to be aired in heavy rotation.

In the battle between Bohemian Rhapsody and Billie Jean, The King of Pop missed out on the top spot with just a few votes, had the poll closed just a few hours later the results might have been different.

It is amazing feat that a black artist has reached the top of a poll like this, as they usually barely feature. It is equally amazing that a flamboyant openly gay performer as Freddie Mercury tops a chart like this.

http://divinevarod.com/2012/07/16/k...cury-top-nations-favourite-number-one-single/

Obviously I think Billie Jean is a much better single but... I'm really not mad about the number one choice at all. Congrats to all of Queen's fans :)

"It is amazing feat that a black artist has reached the top of a poll like this, as they usually barely feature. It is equally amazing that a flamboyant openly gay performer as Freddie Mercury tops a chart like this."

No, not amazing at all. It's not as if Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury aren't loved the world over and haven't scored any commercial success... race and sexuality have nothing to do with it.

billyworld99;3671514 said:
Coming from ‘Thriller’, one f the best selling albums of all time, Billie Jean was one of the best-selling singles of 1983 and is one of the best-selling singles worldwide. The song topped both the US and UK charts simultaneously on it’s release.
ONE of the best selling albums of all time????? :bugeyed

How about someone does his or her homework and checks the most known information in the world - Thriller is THE BEST SELLING ALBUM IN THE WORLD, has been for many, many years!!!

For crying out loud...

I love Queen. Of course, I love MJ even more, but I don't mind Queen topping a chart like this, especially in the UK (their home country) and especially that MJ lost only by few votes.

Now, release There Must Be More To Life Than This and make it Christmas Nr 1 in the UK this year!

Billie Jean 78;3671866 said:
billyworld99;3671514 said:
ONE of the best selling albums of all time????? :bugeyed

How about someone does his or her homework and checks the most known information in the world - Thriller is THE BEST SELLING ALBUM IN THE WORLD, has been for many, many years!!!

For crying out loud...

for 28 years now. best selling album of the US in 1983 & 1984.
wasnt billie jean the best selling single in 1983?

I'm actually happy that Queen won in this poll with Bohemian Rhapsody in their home country. They deserve it :)

I love Queen. Of course, I love MJ even more, but I don't mind Queen topping a chart like this, especially in the UK (their home country) and especially that MJ lost only by few votes.

Now, release There Must Be More To Life Than This and make it Christmas Nr 1 in the UK this year!

A properly finished 'State of Shock' would rock the charts this Christmas! Though TMBMTLTT could be 'christmasy'.

But still... :D

Considering I adore Queen as well, this result sits fine with me, although i do prefer Billie Jean as a whole...nevertheless, great stuff! :clapping:

Back