Kenny Ortega on Michael Jackson's final days

Arabian Knight

Proud Member
Kenny Ortega on Michael Jackson's final days

Shortly after this picture was taken at rehearsals for the hugely anticipated O2 shows, Michael Jackson was dead. One man was beside him through those last weeks and months: his friend, mentor and choreographer Kenny Ortega. In his first major interview since that June afternoon, he tells the story of the Jackson he knew, the mood of his final days and hours, and why he has decided to bring the King of Pop’s ghost back to life

Jackson185x295_633216a.gif

Where were you when you heard Michael Jackson was dead?

Kenny Ortega knows exactly where he was: on a Los Angeles soundstage, waiting for Jackson to show up for work. They’d been collaborating for months. Decades, in fact. In an extended period when Jackson went out of his way to avoid the press – when he spent years shuttling from his Neverland bolt hole to courtroom to penthouse suite to Middle East island hideaway – the choreographer and director was one of the few people who saw Jackson on a regular basis. He’s an exuberant, positivity-spinning showbiz trouper in the old Hollywood mould. The three High School Musical movies he made for Disney may make Grease look like The Great Rock ’n’ Roll Swindle, but Ortega more than anyone holds the key to Jackson’s state of mind in the last months of his life.

So was he concerned at his old friend’s non-appearance that final day? We know, thanks to the coroner’s report, that Jackson had punctures up and down his arms, chronically inflamed lungs and an arthritic lower spine, and that he had been taking the surgical anaesthetic propofol and a variety of other sedatives. Had Jackson been unreliable, tired, in pain? Did he seem pepped up to the eyeballs on this cocktail of prescription drugs? “I’d been to his home, I’d seen him playing with his children, and seen no evidence ever of anything like that.”

Was he eating properly? “Um…” Ortega pauses. “I think he was eating as much as he thought he needed to. I wished he would have eaten more. I was always making sure there was plenty of food around. People have said they saw me carving up meat and hand-feeding him – it’s not true. I would unwrap his plate and slide it over in front of him. But I didn’t feed him.”

Ortega, clad in an unshowy suit jacket and polo shirt, the uniform of the working director, is an animated character who chats at nineteen to the dozen. When talking about Jackson’s talents he rattles out superlatives; only occasionally, when pressed, will he concede that all might not have been well with his old friend. A diehard fan, he certainly won’t tolerate any suggestion of Jackson’s darker side. In death, Jackson has polarised opinion even further: those who see a car-crash life, a horrific, Grand Guignol pantomime, and those who see a messiah-like figure who could do no wrong – an image Jackson appeared happy to reinforce in his Earth Song video. Ortega claims that he saw only good – a man who took time to visit the world’s orphanages while on tour could only have pure and saintly motives, right? And Ortega was one of the few who had a ringside view of the Jackson circus.

Jackson was 50 years old and saddled with a history of medical issues. He had rebuilt his appearance, allegedly to look more like his childhood heroine, Diana Ross. His skin – on his face at least – was now white. His hair had never fully recovered from the 1984 incident when it caught fire while filming a Pepsi commercial. After his 1993 Dangerous tour, he reportedly entered rehab for addiction to painkillers and sedatives. He was plagued by back pain. During his 2005 trial on several counts of child molestation, intoxication and conspiracy to commit child abduction, he often appeared dazed – on one occasion he appeared in court in his pyjama bottoms.

His mental health was further questioned because of his treatment of his children: he dangled his baby, Blanket, from a hotel balcony and sent his two elder children – Prince Michael and Paris – out on public appearances with veils over their faces. All three were white, leading to inevitable speculation about whether he was their biological father.

So wasn’t this battered, rake-thin man too frail to mount a comeback? Ortega is having none of it. “No! Look at photographs of Fred Astaire at the height of his career. They’re the spitting image.”

On the day he died, the entertainer was due to begin rehearsing Dirty Diana, the fifth single from 1987’s 30 million-selling Bad album. Ortega had been putting Jackson through his paces since the singer’s appearance at a press conference in London in March to announce This Is It: a run of concerts, first 10 shows, then 50 over 8 months, at the capital’s 23,000-capacity O2 arena. Fans from all over the world applied for tickets at, some reports said, a rate of 16,000 per second; they sold out in a matter of hours. According to the chief executive of concert promoter AEG Live, Randy Phillips, the first 10 shows alone would earn Jackson $50m (£35 million) – a much-needed fiscal shot in the arm for a man who had frittered away millions on, among other things, the upkeep of his Neverland ranch, the fees of a phalanx of lawyers and paying off his adolescent accusers.

Now, ahead of This Is It’s scheduled opening night on July 13, Jackson, Ortega and their team were on the last lap of rehearsals in the Staples Center in LA.

But Jackson’s comeback was not to be. That summer afternoon four months ago, Ortega remembers, “We were getting a lot of rumour calls, and my phone was just ringing constantly… I was waiting for one of the folks from our team who was at the hospital to call and let us know what was really happening. Of course, what I wanted to believe was that this was another of those days in the life of Michael where rumour and exaggeration take over.”

Inside the Staples Center, Ortega gathered his team around: musical director, vocal coach, dance coach, production designer, lighting designer, musicians, dancers, technicians – “Michael’s [other] family”. They joined hands in a circle, “and we did pray for him, and pray for him to return to us in a strong state of health, so that we could continue [to move] our dream forward. It was a few minutes later when I received the call from one of our team of producers that said we had lost Michael.”

It was Thursday, June 25, 2009. Jackson was pronounced dead at 2.26pm Pacific time. The autopsy confirmed he died from cardiac arrest caused by an overdose of prescription drugs. The night before he died, Jackson’s personal physician, Dr Conrad Murray – whom Jackson paid a monthly salary of $150,000 and whose continued employment was part of Jackson’s ongoing negotiations with AEG – gave him Valium, lorazepam, midazolam and, via a drip, propofol. The verdict, after weeks of conjecture, rumour and an international outpouring of grief and silliness, was homicide. Dr Murray may yet face criminal charges.

But as befits the greatest entertainer of the pop age, or one of the weirdest, depending on your view, death hasn’t stopped Jackson’s This Is It. The show that never was is now a film that few could have imagined. Ortega has edited more than 100 hours of footage filmed at the LA rehearsals into a theatrical movie that Sony Pictures have reportedly paid $60 million (£36 million) to distribute.

“At the time I was uncomfortable with the notion. My immediate instinct was: too close, too quick, too emotional,” Ortega tells me when we meet on the Sony Pictures lot in Culver City, Los Angeles. He’s been frantically busy on This Is It, while also working over at rival studio Paramount on another film: his remake of Footloose, starring Gossip Girl’s Chace Crawford in the Kevin Bacon role.

“But then I discovered that there was gonna be a movie anyway,” the 59-year-old continues. “And a friend of mine called me and said, ‘I’m reading online that they’re talking to other directors.’ I thought, ‘Now wait a minute – this is really sacred material here. And we were there and I’ve been there on all of these ventures in this last twentysomething years with Michael.’”

Ortega couldn’t bear the prospect of an outsider – “somebody who didn’t really know what the experience was about” – having their hands on what would become Michael Jackson’s last will and testament. He talked to other members of Jackson’s inner circle. “I thought, if everyone will agree that this is a legacy piece, about those four months and about showing the fans what it was that we were trying to do, then I should try do this. Because, you know, who else?”

As Ortega says, he was the only one who was there, who knows what really happened.

Michael Jackson’s return was to be a big production: 3-D films, gravity-defying aerial stunt work, an ecological theme, a full band of musicians. A cherry picker, rising to the height of a two-storey building, would hoist Jackson out over the audience, spinning and rotating 360 degrees, “moving him through airspace” – his Peter Pan fantasy finally coming true. Even Jackson’s stage wear was cutting edge. “We were incorporating new technology in the fabric,” coos Ortega, “wonderful breakthroughs in science that enabled video and light to be played inside his clothing.” The budget for all of this was “the upper twenties”. That is, $25-$30 million, or £15-£18 million.

It was a tall order, but Ortega was the man for the job. A Hollywood and pop music veteran, he had choreographed Jackson’s Dangerous and HIStory world tours (1992-3 and 1996-7 respectively). He taught Patrick Swayze his Baby-wowing moves on Dirty Dancing and helped Madonna with her Marilyn-channelling shimmy on the Material Girl video. He had turned High School Musical into one of the most lucrative franchises in the history of the Walt Disney Company. Ortega knew all about putting on a show, and he knew all about Michael Jackson.

Last edited:

Ortega saw the world courtesy of Jackson’s Dangerous tour. Not just each city’s biggest stadium, best hotel and finest restaurant – he wanted to visit its orphanages, too. “It wasn’t uncommon for us to land somewhere and Michael would say, ‘Do you wanna go with me to the orphanage?’ He liked to just go straight there from the airport. And surprise people, catch them a little off guard – so he could walk in and really see what it was like.”

If we had only Ortega’s unimpeachable view of Jackson as our guide, no one would have anticipated the incidents that exploded into the public arena after the end of that tour. The first reports emerged of Jackson’s addiction to painkillers, and the first allegations surfaced concerning his relationships with young boys. Jordan Chandler, 13, said he and the singer had engaged in oral sex and masturbation (Jackson paid Chandler $22 million, some £13.5 million, to settle the case out of court). Capping a busy year even by Jackson’s surreal standards was the beginning of his relationship with Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis.

Surely that catalogue of events was enough to shake Ortega’s faith in Jackson just a bit? He simply shrugs and shakes his head. “First of all I wasn’t there during any of that.” As to the allegations of child abuse, “I didn’t believe it,” he says firmly. “And I still don’t believe it.” Putting on a show, touring the world, hitting its orphanages, had “offered [me] a big enough picture of who he was and who he wasn’t”.

Ortega’s devotion to Jackson seemingly remained unquestioning even after 2003’s raft of allegations. These arose after Jackson admitted to TV interviewer Martin Bashir that he had shared his bedroom with Gavin Arvizo, 13 – that he had in fact slept in the same bed as “many children”. States Ortega: “I’ve never seen Michael do anything to embarrass, harm, insult, hurt anyone, ever.”

In Ortega’s eyes Jackson was not freakish or predatory. He was a pure spirit, a superman more than worthy of the unquestioning idolatry of his fans. If the entertainer had a fault, it was that, “He was not always cautious, and not always careful, and not always thinking of being conscientious maybe…” Admitting to sharing a room with a 13-year-old in front of the world’s cameras – and being filmed holding hands with said boy – would certainly amount to a staggering degree of incautiousness. But Ortega prefers to see a perfectly reasonable explanation.

“It’s like when I was 12 years old – I used to spend the night at my friend’s house, and we used to sleep in his single bed. And if anybody asked me I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. I do think there was an innocence there,” he says, conflating his own adolescent innocence with that of a fortysomething man. “And an unprotectiveness. And an honesty that he didn’t think he had to be protective of. I wanna believe that. And I do.”

Ortega wants to believe that the dream would still be alive at the O2 arena too. The King of Pop, not ***** *****, back on his throne. Night after night, Jackson would sing, dance, act and interact with this multimedia stage spectacular. He hadn’t sung properly on stage in over a decade. He was a single parent – albeit with an army of staff – to 12-year-old Prince Michael, 11-year-old Paris and Blanket (real name, Prince Michael II), 7. Why did he want to undertake such a gruelling commitment? Tackling his huge debts – reportedly $400 million (£245 million) – was, admits Ortega, “partly” a factor. Jackson’s attitude was apparently, “This is a great job, and I’m gonna be able to get myself back at a good place and provide my family with some security.” But Ortega emphatically denies the suggestion that his 50-night stand in London was forced on Jackson by his creditors and handlers.

“There are those out there who say, ‘Michael didn’t want to do This Is It. He wasn’t capable.’ Michael didn’t just wanna do it – his attitude was, we have to do it.” After almost two decades of multiple litigation, gibes about his appearance, jokes about chimpanzees and exactly who donated the sperm to conceive his children, Jackson had a lot to prove. “I also think it was giving him back something that had been sucked out of him. His dignity as an artist. His meaningfulness as an artist. He wanted this. This was bringing him happiness. This was something to look forward to.”

Another “big, big part” of Jackson’s motivation was the content of what Ortega calls his “message songs”: Heal the World, We Are the World and Earth Song. Jackson wanted to “remind everybody” about planetary peril. Even after years of paedophilia accusations and declining fortunes, Jackson’s messiah complex – something many, including Ortega, embraced – was undimmed.

“And there were more reasons,” adds Ortega. “Just enjoying it, loving it. The stage was like his second home. He used to say, ‘You just fill the front of the stage with my fans and you don’t have to worry about anything else. That’s my food; they’re my fuel.’” For those around him, such schmaltz, it seems, was infectious.

Casting – of back-up dancers and musicians – began in April. Ortega and Jackson started “conceptualising” the show. “Michael was the architect and all of us were the builders.” In early May rehearsals began. They started doing three, four days a week. “We weren’t rushing.” The singer took time off for a Jackson family reunion to mark the 60th wedding anniversary of his parents, Joe and Katherine; it would be the last time he would see his brothers.

Were Jackson’s children around much in rehearsals? Ortega says “not a lot”, but that they did visit This Is It’s mini-movie sets. One day the team were filming a visual segment for Smooth Criminal. “We were putting Michael inside an old black-and-white film, and he was being chased by classic gangsters. Paris, Prince and Blanket were sitting just behind me on director’s chairs and Paris leaned forward and said, ‘This is the first day that we’ve seen Daddy on a movie set.’ Yeah.” Ortega smiles an avuncular smile. “And Michael came over at one point and said, ‘Are they behaving?’”

Michael Jackson as “Daddy” – hearing Ortega refer to him in this way is startling in its, well, normality. It adds a much-needed and mostly missing third dimension to a man normally viewed, by friend and foe alike, as a 2-D caricature. Whatever the truth of his children’s biological parentage, Jackson was a father, and a very different one to his own: gentle, loving, protective.

Jackson’s father, Joe, the brutal patriarch who (literally) whipped his boys into Motown-friendly shape, has said that young Prince is a natural stage performer. Ortega isn’t sure about that – he hasn’t seen the kid perform. “But they are very bright children. Beautifully educated and spoken. I think Prince and Paris both could be young directors. And I’ve read that Paris is interested in fashion as well. I don’t know about Blanket. He’s still awfully young, and a little on the quiet side.”

But how fully paternally present could Jackson have been given it was later revealed that he was plagued by insomnia? Was Ortega aware of this? Was Jackson open about the fact that he was receiving daily dosages of propofol, or his “milk” as he called it?

Ortega grows quiet. “No,” he replies, then repeats the word four times. “Not even a clue. I was aware of the fact that he would have a sleepless night. He would say, ‘I’m channelling. I’m writing music, and ideas are coming to me and I can’t turn it off.’ At one point we were talking in his dressing room and I said to Michael to talk to his higher power and just say, ‘Look, until we open the show in London, can we hold off on the record?’” No way – when the musical ideas came to Jackson, they were God-given blessings. There was no “holding off” on such divine gifts.

Could Ortega see that the lack of sleep was wearing Jackson down? “Sometimes, yeah. Yeah. And we’d have to be careful. Absolutely. I was concerned about his physical strength and whether or not he was doing all the things he needed to do to be the strong person that he needed to be to fulfil what he wanted to fulfil.”

Ask if Dr Conrad Murray was a regular presence on the set, and Ortega replies that he only met him “a couple of times. I had a couple of conversations with him. He was Michael’s personal choice doctor, and was his daily physician as I understand it. And was doing everything in his…” Ortega falters, as if he’s mindful of the ongoing legal situation. “He was helping Michael stay nourished and healthy and, you know, looking after him.”

Kenny Ortega last saw Michael Jackson around midnight on Wednesday, June 24, some 14 hours before he was pronounced dead. Rehearsals in that last week, insists Ortega, had been going well. They had finally “signed off” – approved – the 3-D film segments, what they called “the living scenery”. Major parts of the set were in two huge trucks en route to the Staples Center. The team had eight more rehearsals in Los Angeles before the entire production was shipped to London for two weeks of full dress and technical rehearsals. Patrick Woodroffe, the show’s lighting designer, has said that on the Tuesday, Jackson came on stage at 9pm and, “We all looked at each other and there was something that said that he really had it. It was like he had been holding back and suddenly he was performing as one had remembered him in the past.”

Had it been clear to Ortega all along that Jackson was actually capable of fulfilling his contractual obligations and playing all 50 shows? “No, it wasn’t clear to me,” the director confesses. “Not all through the rehearsals did I have absolute confidence. But that’s me,” Ortega chuckles. “I’m the director, and nervous. But towards the end – that’s why it was so sad, that’s why it was so difficult, that’s why it was painful. Because at the very end, we did see it.”

I ask Ortega what were his last words with Michael. He takes some time to reply.

“He said, ‘I’ll see you tomorrow,’” says Ortega with a gulp. His eyes fill. “That’s exactly what he said to me. Then he left, with a big smile on his face, waving goodbye to everybody. One of our movie producers ran over to thank Michael for the work we had done that night to finish the films. He came running back to me and said, ‘You won’t believe what Michael just said to me: “Make sure those ghosts come through the screen!”’

“It was just funny, because with all the 3-D stuff, Michael was always insistent: ‘Make sure everything’s coming out at the audience so they’re ducking out of the way of it.’” The fans wouldn’t have known what hit them.

This Is It will show another ghost coming through the screen. But, insists Ortega, a ghost about to hit the top of his game. Jackson’s vocals were strong, his dancing skills still dazzling. “This guy was just amazing. And getting stronger. An improvisational genius. And really, not going full-out yet. Apart from a couple of moments, I don’t think that the movie shows him really unleashing it – but you know it’s there. It’s undeniable.”

In the wake of Jackson’s death, Kenny Ortega busied himself directing the televised Los Angeles Memorial Service. The event, on July 7, was watched by a worldwide audience estimated at one billion. As exemplified by Jackson’s gold-plated, solid bronze, blue velvet-lined, red rose-bedecked coffin, it was moving, it was cheesy and it was hubristic. The all-star glitz-fest, featuring performances from Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey and the Rev Al Sharpton, bore all the hallmarks of a crowd-pleasing Ortega theatrical spectacular, from the parading of Jackson’s children to the single sequined gloves worn by Jackson’s brothers. The latter touch was the family’s, Ortega insists. “They had a couple of little ideas, people that they wanted invited. It wasn’t my production, it was all of us working together until well into the night the day before, with artists jumping on planes, dropping engagements and coming in at a moment’s notice to participate.”

Then, shortly before Jackson’s funeral on September 3, came the coroner’s report classifying his death as homicide. Had Jackson been (over)dosed with drugs to ensure that he performed? Did the pressures and expectations from tour promoter AEG and its insurers drive him too hard? Fatally hard?

Ortega refutes the allegation. “Never believe any of that. It’s not true. He set his own expectations. Nobody had to set expectations for Michael Jackson – he was Michael Jackson.”

Which leaves the $400 million question: who killed Michael Jackson? Kenny Ortega pauses for a long time before answering.

“An accident,” he says quietly. “I don’t think that everybody contributed to his life in the most positive way. But I don’t think that you can hold those people responsible. Michael was a 50-year-old man. A father. A professional. A businessman. Accomplished things for himself and others. And,” he concludes with one statement that few, whether Jackson supporter or detractor, would dispute, “he conquered the world of music and performance.”

Michael Jackson’s This Is It is released on October 28

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6881309.ece

Thanks for this!

"Were Jackson’s children around much in rehearsals? Ortega says “not a lot”, but that they did visit This Is It’s mini-movie sets. One day the team were filming a visual segment for Smooth Criminal. “We were putting Michael inside an old black-and-white film, and he was being chased by classic gangsters. Paris, Prince and Blanket were sitting just behind me on director’s chairs and Paris leaned forward and said, ‘This is the first day that we’ve seen Daddy on a movie set.’ Yeah.” Ortega smiles an avuncular smile. “And Michael came over at one point and said, ‘Are they behaving?’”

Michael Jackson as “Daddy” – hearing Ortega refer to him in this way is startling in its, well, normality. It adds a much-needed and mostly missing third dimension to a man normally viewed, by friend and foe alike, as a 2-D caricature. Whatever the truth of his children’s biological parentage, Jackson was a father, and a very different one to his own: gentle, loving, protective."

Thank you for posting. I don't like the why the article is written but Kenny answers are interesting.

I hate how articles ALWAYS refer to the "balcony" or "turns up to trials in pyjamas" .. is it really neccessary?
Anyway kind of sad towards the end, made me cry as Michael said "see you tomorrow" and that they were only a short time away from moving to England :cry:
I really wish he made it :( :cry:
& I'm glad the children got to see there Dad on the movie set :) I didn't know that.. God the shows would of been incredible :(

“An accident,” he says quietly. “I don’t think that everybody contributed to his life in the most positive way. But I don’t think that you can hold those people responsible. Michael was a 50-year-old man. A father. A professional. A businessman. Accomplished things for himself and others. And,” he concludes with one statement that few, whether Jackson supporter or detractor, would dispute, “he conquered the world of music and performance.”

This sums up how I feel. Lots of mistakes by people were made... some of those people, such as Dr. Murray, should have to pay, but I pretty much agree with Ortega here.

These shows sounded and looked phenomenal. I'm really looking forward to the film.

The part I have bolded is interesting because here Kenny is saying he did not feed Michael when Randy has been quoted as saying he did. Are journalists making stuff up or did Randy?

Was he eating properly? “Um…” Ortega pauses. “I think he was eating as much as he thought he needed to. I wished he would have eaten more. I was always making sure there was plenty of food around.

People have said they saw me carving up meat and hand-feeding him – it’s not true. I would unwrap his plate and slide it over in front of him. But I didn’t feed him.”

Originally posted by Victoria83 from: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77698

I'm suspicious of that part of the autopsy, as well, and that bothers me, too. I hate the thought that he might have been attacked, and suffered. I'm also suspicious of his weight, as given in the leaked autopsy. Because it was not an official report, I fear it could have been altered.

Here is what Randy Phillips, of AEG, is on record as saying:

http://a.abcnews.com...=7990611&page=2

While the team insists that they saw no sign that Jackson was using drugs, Phillips said worries mounted that Jackson did not have the energy to endure. His weight showed signs of wear and tear.

"Kenny [Ortega] used to cut his chicken breast for him and feed him," Phillips said. "I actually, in the last week, brought in someone whose sole purpose it was to remind him to eat. That was my biggest concern, was his weight."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillips himself said that he was worried about Michael's weight! It's highly unusual to HIRE someone to feed a person! But yet the leaked autopsy portion suggests his weight was normal for his height. I also have concern about the height given. Michael's height was given as five-eleven, at the time of his arrest. I've also seen it given as five-ten, but never five-nine. Debbie Rowe is five-nine, and Michael was taller, as can be seen in photos. Why this is important is if the report was altered to make him seem ok. . by giving his height as less than it really was, and his weight as more, it would seem normal for his height. See what I mean? So, the above statement, in red, seems to confirm what the followers have been saying all-along about Michael's weight-loss. This is very contrary to subsequent statements by AEG that Michael was just fine. One doesn't hire someone just to see that Michael ATE, if he were just fine?

If height/weight are "altered" in the leaked report, I wonder what ELSE was altered? We still don't know what Michael's condition really was. . .

The part I have bolded is interesting because here Kenny is saying he did not feed Michael when Randy has been quoted as saying he did. Are journalists making stuff up or did Randy?

Was he eating properly? “Um…” Ortega pauses. “I think he was eating as much as he thought he needed to. I wished he would have eaten more. I was always making sure there was plenty of food around.

People have said they saw me carving up meat and hand-feeding him – it’s not true. I would unwrap his plate and slide it over in front of him. But I didn’t feed him.”

Originally posted by Victoria83 from: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77698

I'm suspicious of that part of the autopsy, as well, and that bothers me, too. I hate the thought that he might have been attacked, and suffered. I'm also suspicious of his weight, as given in the leaked autopsy. Because it was not an official report, I fear it could have been altered.

While the team insists that they saw no sign that Jackson was using drugs, Phillips said worries mounted that Jackson did not have the energy to endure. His weight showed signs of wear and tear.

"Kenny [Ortega] used to cut his chicken breast for him and feed him," Phillips said. "I actually, in the last week, brought in someone whose sole purpose it was to remind him to eat. That was my biggest concern, was his weight."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillips himself said that he was worried about Michael's weight! It's highly unusual to HIRE someone to feed a person! But yet the leaked autopsy portion suggests his weight was normal for his height. I also have concern about the height given. Michael's height was given as five-eleven, at the time of his arrest. I've also seen it given as five-ten, but never five-nine. Debbie Rowe is five-nine, and Michael was taller, as can be seen in photos. Why this is important is if the report was altered to make him seem ok. . by giving his height as less than it really was, and his weight as more, it would seem normal for his height. See what I mean? So, the above statement, in red, seems to confirm what the followers have been saying all-along about Michael's weight-loss. This is very contrary to subsequent statements by AEG that Michael was just fine. One doesn't hire someone just to see that Michael ATE, if he were just fine?

If height/weight are "altered" in the leaked report, I wonder what ELSE was altered? We still don't know what Michael's condition really was. . .
When he was arrested he was probably measured with shoes on. Plus people shrink with age. Also, even if MJ was 5' 11", his weight in the autopsy report would still be okay for his height. That would put his BMI at 18.7. That's at the lower end of the scale, but still okay.

I saw this today at work. It was always nice to have Michael's face staring at me when I'm trying to do ten things at once. Apart from the odd snide remark I really liked the article. It was well written and very insightful.

“An accident,” he says quietly.

This is Bull. Everyone in Hollywood knows Michael Jackson was murdered. It is an open secret. When you ask the celebraties about this topic( Michael Jackson's "death") they immediately look nervous and quietly recite the media scripts they rehearsed for the sheep. Ask Ortega; "Was Walter Conkrite murdered?" and the fear is not present we know that was a natural death and we do not continually need re-told about now nearly 4 months later.

This is more psy-op conditioning the media(not just Murdoch) use 24/7.

Why no focus on Murray?(He will never be arrested as I said back in June.)

Why are the Jackson family now being made the greedy villians?

Why are SONY, John Branca, AEG now Michael Jackson's "best friends" and "know this is what Michael wanted" on all issues an matters Michael Jackson?

I hate how articles ( such at this Times article)always wrongly state Michael settled with Jordan Chandler out of court, and choose to ignore the fact the out of court settlement was part of a civil case and nothing to do with the actual police investigation or grand jury proceedings. I will be sending The Times an email about the lazy journalism of this, which the media has turned in to a fact, when it's a lie.

Thank you for posting.

I feel like the author of this article has lots of negative perceptions of Michael and just can't seem to believe how much Kenny loves him nor all the positive things that Kenny says about Michael. It's quite annoying actually. He reminds of that guy who wrote that GQ article 'When Michael was Cool' or something like that. For every positive, there were like two negatives said about Michael.

But I did greatly enjoy all of Kenny's answers. I know some people are getting on Kenny's case, but I always believed Kenny was genuine and was genuinely worried about Michael taking care of himself. We all know that Michael compartmentalizes his life also. Kenny also seems like one of those people that is always positive. No wonder Michael always wanted to work with him.

Kenny Ortega seems like a really sincere sweet person who truly cared about Michael. They remained friends for over 20 years, that is proof enough to me that he has Michael's best interest at heart. I don't understand people who run him down. It reminds me of the tabloids bashing Michael.

This is Bull. Everyone in Hollywood knows Michael Jackson was murdered. It is an open secret. When you ask the celebraties about this topic( Michael Jackson's "death") they immediately look nervous and quietly recite the media scripts they rehearsed for the sheep. Ask Ortega; "Was Walter Conkrite murdered?" and the fear is not present we know that was a natural death and we do not continually need re-told about now nearly 4 months later.

This is more psy-op conditioning the media(not just Murdoch) use 24/7.

Why no focus on Murray?(He will never be arrested as I said back in June.)

Why are the Jackson family now being made the greedy villians?

Why are SONY, John Branca, AEG now Michael Jackson's "best friends" and "know this is what Michael wanted" on all issues an matters Michael Jackson?

So everyone in Hollywood is staying silent? Since when has that ever happened?

I feel like the author of this article has lots of negative perceptions of Michael and just can't seem to believe how much Kenny loves him nor all the positive things that Kenny says about Michael. It's quite annoying actually.

I am also annoyed because this is happening these days and they don’t seem to accept that Kenny Ortega has nothing negative to say about Michael.

People do measure as being taller than they are when measured with shoes. So its possible that, that part of the leaked report is correct. As far as the weight issue goes, I have no reason to believe he wasn't at a healthy weight at the time he passed.

So I'll just leave it at that. :)

And I have to add that I also feel this article is more written off of the authors opinion of Michael, whether it be true or false, its pretty obvious what the author felt about Michael. And that may have influenced the way its written...Most of it disgusts me aside from Kenny's quotes.

Dont like the tone of this article but some interesting comments.

Sounds as though AEG were planning a movie regardless of Kenny being involved or not. Interesting.

Back