kelis and america never a good match (an underated artist)

billyworld99

Proud Member
i've wonderd why kelis never been a big star in the u.s. but she had hits over seas, the only biggest hit she had in the u.s. was milkshake which was a typical pop song during the time but i think most of her material is original and she was during very interesting things in her videos , and different hairsytles, her voice is unique not a sound you are used to hearing in mainstream music

Kelis was married to NAS, who says she wasn't big in the US? she's known for other things now rather than her music, like that child support she gonna make Nas go broke by, its just Beyonce emerged at her time in 03' also Christina, Janet and Britney were doin their thing also, Milkshake killed her, it was huge that it covered all her other dope tracks.

Americans don't like Kelis because of the way she stiffed Nas in divorce, child support, and alimony. Well, that's a factor into why she isn't big in America in 2010 before that, Can't Get Along With You and Caught Out There (I think thats "I Hate You So Much Right Now") were both hits in the US, she got quiet and only re-ignited the flame of her career when "Milkshake" came out, she got pregnant and did her motherly duties, so she wasn't heard from for awhile until the divorce. Now she's commonly known as a gold digger of sorts.

I really like Kelis. I think the reason she's more popular overseas than in the States is because she's quite experiemental and European audiences are more open-minded.

Acapella sounds like a Donna Summer song and is obviously tailor-made for the European dance market.

I loved that slow ballad she did a few years back, I can't remember what it was called, but there was a sample of some guy singing in the chorus... Was it Little Star??

Kelis is one of the few I like from the hip-hop scene. I don't know if I should put her into the hip-hop category... :swoon: NE ways I had Kaleidoscope copied on a cassette :D and at some point I tried to find it on a CD but it was nowhere to be found. Wanderland was the only thing I'd find and her newer stuff. I though she was too "angry black woman" for the american audience.

Hmm, I love some of her songs. My favourites are 'Trick Me' and 'Get Along With You'. 'Get Along With You' is a mind blowing song IMO, I wasn't a fan of 'Milkshake' and I'm not feeling her new disco sound.

What's the name if the song where she's a doll in the video and she pulls herself apart peice by peice?

Back