Kanye West Apologizes For Saying "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People." Ex-President Accepts

Agent M

Proud Member
Bush Reacts To Apology From Kanye West

Former president says he ‘appreciates’ rapper’s saying ‘I didn’t have grounds’

By John Springer TODAYshow.com contributor TODAYshow.com contributor updated 11/11/2010 12:27:44 PM ET

Hip-hop artist Kanye West now says he regrets his 2005 comment that “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” — a remark that the nation’s 43rd president identifies in his new memoir as one of the lowest points of his eight years in office.

In an exclusive interview taped Tuesday, West told TODAY co-anchor Matt Lauer that he made the comment during a 2005 benefit concert out of “frustration” over the deaths and suffering of victims of Hurricane Katrina, which had devastated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast that summer. The Bush administration was widely criticized for its handling of the disaster, which took nearly 2,000 lives during the hurricane and its aftermath.

“I would tell George Bush, in my moment of frustration, I didn’t have the grounds to call him a racist,” West told Lauer. “But I believe that in a situation of high emotion like that, we as human beings don’t always choose the right words.”

West’s interview with Lauer aired Thursday on TODAY. After its taping Tuesday, the hip-hop artist made a number of remarks critical of the interview via his Twitter feed, alleging that he had been put in an uncomfortable position.

Referring to tape of his MTV VMA appearance rolling in the background as the interview took place, West asked Lauer Tuesday, "How am I supposed to talk if you're going to run this thing in the middle of my talking?" On Thursday, Lauer explained that running tape like that is standard procedure while interviewing guests, and said “We stand by what happened” during the interview.

Shown the clip of West’s apology during a live interview about his book on Wednesday, Bush said he was glad to hear that West had had a change of heart. Although Bush specified the rapper by name in his new memoir, “Decision Points,” he said that it was the fact that many Americans perceived him as uncaring and apparently detached from the disaster that hurt him deeply.

“I appreciate that,” Bush told Lauer after viewing the clip. “It wasn’t just Kanye West who was talking like that during Katrina; I cite him as an example.

“I am not a hater,” he added. “I don’t hate Kanye West. I was talking about an environment in which people were willing to say things that hurt. Nobody wants to be called a racist, if in your heart you believe in equality of race.”

In an interview with Oprah Winfrey that aired Tuesday, Bush said, “I can see how the perception would be, ‘Maybe Bush didn’t care.’ But to accuse me of being a racist is disgusting.”

In “Decision Points,” Bush wrote that the knowledge that people believed he was racist and didn’t care about minorities left homeless, sick or dead in the wake of Hurricane Katrina hurt him more than criticism over the invasion of Iraq in 2003:

“I faced a lot of criticism as president. I didn’t like hearing people claim that I lied about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction or cut taxes to benefit the rich,” he wrote. “But the suggestion that I was racist because of the response to Katrina represented an all-time low.”

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40108402

1:40 - 3:10

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Oz7G92UTY4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Oz7G92UTY4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kanye's infamous comment from 2005 (1:34-6):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zIUzLpO1kxI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zIUzLpO1kxI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Re: Kanye West Apolggizes For Saying "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People." Ex-President Acc

Hi Agent M :ciao:

Why did he apologize? It's not like he was wrong.:scratch:

Re: Kanye West Apolggizes For Saying "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People." Ex-President Acc

Hi ginvid!:ciao:

I don't pretend to know the workings of Kanye West's mind!:D My two theories are a change of heart or, as Matt Lauer says in the first video, a reaction to "the furor over that and . . . the [unfavorable] headlines." (1:50-5)

Exactly.............

George Bush should be apologising to the people of New Orleans......

Re: Kanye West Apologizes For Saying "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People." Ex-President Acc

Bush down on the tabloid news level now to sell his book... pathetic.

Re: Kanye West Apologizes For Saying "George Bush Doesn't Care About Black People." Ex-President Acc

For once he was actually right. Bush never cared for Black folks.

Those two are discussing this five years later.. because?

Those two are discussing this five years later.. because?

Exactly what I was thinking.
But they mentioned that Bush mentioned it in his new book so maybe that's why...

I have to say I do think he was wrong. It's nice he apologized. It shows he's a decent man at heart.

The U.S. media has completely ignored how much money Bush spent on fighting disease in Africa, and that he is one of the top presidents in giving money for humanitarian efforts. How he (and Washington in general) handled Katrina was definitely a bad move. But you can't say it was intentional, c'mon. The state government acted like they were completely innocent of all the problems that arose after the hurricane. B....S....

History will be much kinder to GW Bush as time goes on. I'm quite sure of this.

Oh larwd not Kanye west agian!!! I've enough of that wanna be rapper than other country singer

imo the best thing that kanye west ever said or did and now he went soft.

him and bush actual got some things in common,two average cats in there respected professions who got over without any real talent.

Back