June 29, 2009 Monday Daily News Update

MsSnoop

Proud Member
I, like everyone of you, have been deeply affected by last few days.

No matter what you do, you have to remember that MJ was here for us and we need to be there for each other!

I remember this video collage from long ago, and was fortunate to find it again... It's a great tribute of the man and his music.

*****************************************​

I am currently watching the BET awards - tape delayed...lots of silenced words and unsteady dancing...but pretty good for a show that basically had to change it's entire flow in two days. Nice tributes to Michael.​

Family members turn out for BET Jackson tribute

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:24am EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Top black performers paid high tribute to fallen pop star Michael Jackson at Sunday's BET Awards where his sister Janet Jackson and father Joe Jackson made their first public appearances since the singer's death.

The show's most moving moment came in a final tribute when Janet, a pop star in her own right, took the stage to thank the audience for turning out to honor her dead brother.

"To you, Michael is an icon. To us, Michael is family, and he will forever live in all of our hearts," said Jackson, her voice choking as she held back tears. "On behalf of my family and myself, thank you for all of your love. Thank you for all of your support, we miss him so much."

She was followed by host Jamie Foxx and R&B singer Ne-Yo singing a tender duet of Jackson 5 hit "I'll Be There," while pictures of Jackson were displayed on a giant video screen.

A member of 1970s brother band the Jackson 5 and a musical sensation, Jackson's 1982 smash "Thriller" is the best-selling album of all time, and Jackson was a major influence on R&B, hip hop and many other forms of music for 40 years.

Jackson died suddenly from cardiac arrest at age 50 in his Los Angeles home on Thursday. The BET Awards, which annually honor African American singers, actors, actresses and athletes, transformed into a tribute to the pop superstar.

In the front row, Joe Jackson watched performances by the likes of Beyonce, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne and the O'Jays, most of whom either gave testimonials to Jackson or in some way highlighted his influence on their own careers.

Ahead of the show, Joe Jackson told Reuters that if his son were there, "He would have said, 'I love you all,' that's what he would have said. "I love you all," and he would've loved everybody ... I only wish that he could've been here to see all this," Joe Jackson said.

Show host Jamie Foxx put the program in party mode from the start, dancing Jackson's famous moonwalk, singing his hit song "Beat It" and wearing a classic King of Pop costume -- red leather jacket and one white glove.

"We're going to celebrate this black man. He belongs to us, and we shared him with everybody else," Foxx told the crowd.

Two inspiring moments came when Beyonce sang a version of Ave Maria in an angelic white dress, and later when accepting her award for best female R&B artist, she held her trophy up.

"This is for you, Michael Jackson," she said, thanking him for being an inspiration and a "hero" to her. Later in the evening, Beyonce also won the award for best video.

Many performers sang Jackson songs and dressed as he did when he was on stage -- leather jackets, high pants, white socks, uniform-like costumes and a single white gloved hand.

Some of the winners included best male R&B singer Ne-Yo, best actress Taraji P. Henson, best male hip hop artist Lil Wayne, and best male athlete, basketball star LeBron James.

While the 50-year-old Jackson was loved by many, he lived a reclusive life in his final years, and in the 1990s he was twice accused of child molestation -- charges never proven.

His death continues to be shrouded in questions of prescription drug use and, although an autopsy was performed, it will be four to six weeks before an official cause of death can be determined after toxicology tests are completed.

But music mogul and rapper Sean "Diddy" Combs set the tone for the night on the red carpet, telling reporters Jackson "is one of our heroes. As African Americans, we are not going to let everybody beat him up."
(Reporting by Bob Tourtellotte; editing by Anthony Boadle)

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSTRE55S05A20090629?sp=true

Janet_Jackson.jpg

Janet Jackson Speaks Out at BET Awards: “We Miss Him So Much”

6/28/09, 11:53 pm EST

Janet Jackson took the stage at tonight’s BET Awards in Los Angeles looking visibly shaken. Just three days after the death of her brother, Michael, she told the audience after a long pause to gather herself, “My entire family wanted to be here tonight, but it was just too painful. So they elected me to speak with all of you.” Promising to keep it short, she added, “To you, Michael is an icon, to us, Michael is family. And he will forever live in all of our hearts. On behalf of my family and myself, thank you for all of your love, thank you for all of your support. We miss him so much. Thank you so much.” Her speech was followed by host Jamie Foxx singing “I’ll Be There” with a pianist and Ne-Yo.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...speaks-out-at-bet-awards-we-miss-him-so-much/

********************************​

Several years ago I met Chuck Norris on the set of "Walker Texas Ranger" - here is what he has to say about meeting a young Michael...

chucknorrislogo2.gif
cnorrishead.jpg

header_exclu_comm.gif

[FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]Michael, McMahon, Farrah and you[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1]Posted: June 29, 2009[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1:00 am Eastern[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]© 2009 [/SIZE]

The entertainment world lost a few giants last week. Like the rest of the world, my wife Gena and I offer their families, friends and fans our most heartfelt condolences.

America's most infamous late-night sidekick Ed McMahon, favorite "Angel" Farrah Fawcett and the "King of Pop" Michael Jackson made their final exits, and even in death they were as big as they were in life. The magnitude of their presence, power in their presentation and the caliber of their giftedness placed them among the most elite of stars.
You might not agree with all that Michael, Farrah and Ed did. You might not like all the ways they managed who they were and what they had. But you can't deny the monumental impact they had upon entertainment and this world, and how most people enjoyed what they offered. They will be greatly missed.

Like you, I have vivid memories of each of them and was honored to meet two.

Who can ever forget Ed McMahon's curtain call for Johnny Carson on the "Tonight Show": "Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny!"? I had been a guest on the "Tonight Show" several times through the years, and I had the privilege to talk with Ed during my visits. Every time I spoke with him, I could easily tell that he really enjoyed what he was doing on the show. He always knew his was a supportive role and never lost that perspective. He truly was a man's man, and I thought that before ever knowing he was a former Marine. Being an honorary Marine myself, I say to Ed even now, "Semper Fidelis!"

I never had the honor of meeting Farrah, but I always admired her for her activism in organizations that benefit victims of domestic violence. After creating a name for herself in the big-hit '70s television show "Charlie's Angels," she didn't merely stick with roles that were based upon beauty. I know her award-winning performance in the "Burning Bed" as a battered and abused wife helped to open the eyes and liberate many homes from enabling domestic violence.

When the Jackson Five were young, I was a six-time undefeated world professional middle-weight karate champion. I was at an event in Los Angeles, and all five Jackson kids were following me around. I would catch them at a distance staring at me, but they were too shy to approach. So I thought I would go up to them and introduce myself, but just as I would try, someone else would come up to me and begin talking. Finally, the Jackson kids came up to me, and I'll never forget the few words they said: "We study kung fu." I met each one of them, and they all were very polite and nice boys. There's no doubt, however, that Michael had a special charisma – something that set him apart to be the superstar he was.

The deaths of Michael, Farrah and Ed are repeated reminders that we're not on this planet forever. But they are also reminders that we are called to use our time, talents, treasures to be a blessing to others. We all are called to use our greatest potential to serve the greater good. We were not just called to invest in commodities but people. It's the legacy you leave behind that really matters. That is why I started my non-profit foundation Kickstart.

As I quoted in the section about how to rediscover the American dream in my book Black Belt Patriotism," sociologist Dr. Anthony Campolo once did a study in which 50 people over the age of 95 were asked, "If you could live your life over again, what would you do differently?" An array of responses came from these eldest of senior citizens. However, three answers constantly surfaced far more than others: 1) If I had it to do over again, I would reflect more, 2) If I had it to do over again, I would risk more, and 3) If I had it to do over again, I would do more things that would live on after I am dead.

Celebrity has its costs. Fame is ultimately fleeting. Fortunes come and go. But who you are and what you leave behind in the wake of your life is everything. So let us live by priorities and principles. Let us work so that whenever the final curtain falls, we won't have any regrets.
I love the way Mark Twain put it, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=102439

Jackson is number one in chart

Michael Jackson is number one in the UK album chart and made six new entries in the singles top 40, following his death last Thursday.

Greatest hits album Number Ones leapt from 121 and four other Jackson albums also made a reappearance in the top 20. It's six years since the singer last scored a number one, and in the past few days there's been a massive leap in sales of his songs. In total, 11 Michael Jackson or Jackson Five albums featured in the top 200.

Over in the singles chart Man in the Mirror re-entered the charts at number 11, nearly 20 years after its original release.
Billie Jean, another Jackson hit, shot to 25, Smooth Criminal to 28, Beat It reached 30 and Earth Song charted at number 38.
Although Michael Jackson was the big chart story this week, the number one selling single went to La Roux's new entry, Bulletproof.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_8120000/newsid_8123400/8123410.stm

JacksonPose_1431775c.jpg

POSITIVE MENTIONINGS

Thank you, Michael Jackson. Music surpassed only by generosity.

Examiner.com -
Last week, on June 25, 2009, we lost a pop culture phenom, Michael Jackson. We've known Michael, especially those of us in our forties (you know who you ...

Michael Jackson: Green before it was cool Mother Nature Network

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1984 - Motown reported that it had shipped 2 million copies of the Jackson's "Victory" album.

2005 - Michael Jackson and his three children arrived in Bahrain for a vacation. It was Jackson's first trip overseas since being acquitted of child molestation charges. It was said that he was a guest of Sheik Abdullah bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the king's son. Sheik Abdullah is believed to be a friend of Jermaine Jackson.

J5era118.jpg

l can't take it anymore
l really don't know what to do with myself
l'm trying but every day is worse and worse not better

Jackson family heads to court to protect child custody rights

By Anthony Mccartney, The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — Michael Jackson's mother, Katherine, is taking care of the singer's three children and the family will go to court Monday in part to protect her rights to custody, the family's spokesman said Monday.
Londell McMillan, the Jacksons' attorney, said the family hasn't heard from Deborah Rowe, the mother of Jackson's two oldest children, about custody.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-06-28-mjackson-news_N.htm
"I don't think there will be anybody who thinks that there is someone better" than Katherine Jackson to have custody, McMillan said on NBC's Today show. "She is a very loving host of other grandchildren."
Jackson left behind three children: Michael Joseph Jackson Jr., known as Prince Michael, 12; Paris Michael Katherine Jackson, 11; and Prince Michael II, 7. The youngest son was born to a surrogate mother.

Given the secrecy surrounding Michael Jackson's children throughout his life, it's no surprise that there are lingering questions about who will care for them after his death. What is almost certain is this: Their fate will be decided in a courtroom.

Experts say the person who has the strongest legal claim to Jackson's two oldest children is Rowe. As for the youngest child, Jackson's wishes will be more influential. It remains unclear who Jackson designated as potential guardians for his children. Those details — likely contained in the 50-year-old singer's will — have not been released.

Rowe's attorney, Marta Almli, wrote in a statement Saturday that "Ms. Rowe's only thoughts at this time have been regarding the devastating loss Michael's family has suffered. Ms. Rowe requests that Michael's family, and particularly the children, be spared such harmful, sensationalist speculation and that they be able to say goodbye to their loved one in peace."

Jackson's manager, Frank DiLeo, said on ABC's Good Morning America that he was the one who told the children their father had died.
"They knew when I came into the room," he said. "I'm sure they just saw it on my face. They said, 'say it's not true,' and I just said, 'I'm sorry.'"
Jackson never told his family who he had in place to handle his business affairs, a person close to the family told The Associated Press on Friday. The person, who requested anonymity because of the delicate nature of the situation, said they were told by the singer's phalanx of advisers that he likely had a will, but it may be many years old.

Prince Michael II's mother has never been identified, and while she may surface, it is likely that she signed away her rights, said Stacy Phillips, a Los Angeles divorce attorney who has represented numerous high-profile clients.

Jackson was by several accounts an attentive and loving father.
"He was a great father," said Raymone Bain, Jackson's former publicist and general manager. "Those kids knew three and four languages. Even the little one. They were well mannered and sweet. I can't imagine these children without him."

He was extremely protective of his children, who weren't often seen in public, and were photographed wearing veils, masks or other items covering their faces when they were.

Rowe, a former nurse for Jackson's dermatologist, married Jackson in 1996 but filed for divorce in 1999. She later gave up her custody rights to the children, but petitioned to have those rights restored in 2003 after Jackson was arrested on child molestation charges, and an appeals court sided with her.

Jackson and Rowe apparently agreed in 2006 regarding her rights, but the terms have never been disclosed. The couple's divorce case that was heard in Los Angeles Superior Court remains closed.
Phillips said if her parental rights remain intact, she's presumed to be first in line to receive custody of her two children. "That could still be contested," she added.

Rowe would have to undergo an evaluation by the court to determine if she's the best person to care for Jackson's children. So, too, would anyone else who applies to become the children's guardian — some of whom may have Jackson's blessing.

"If he did indicate a preference, that will be given great weight, but that will not be determinative," said Los Angeles attorney Gloria Allred. "Children are not property, they cannot be willed to another person."
Allred agreed that Rowe has better legal standing than others who apply for custody of Jackson's eldest children. "She's definitely going to have an advantage."

But judges in California often take into account who is left in the children's lives with a strong bond, said Charlotte Goldberg, a family law professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
"It's really a balance between continuity and stability and a biological relationship," Goldberg said.

A judge deciding the matter may even seek input in chambers from Jackson's children about who they feel comfortable with, she said.
But a court will also take into account with whom the children have a relationship bond, and that may not work in Rowe's favor. She wrote in a 2001 petition to sever her parental rights that she thought Jackson was doing a good parenting job.

"Michael has been a wonderful father to the children, and I do not wish to share any parenting responsibilities with Michael because he is doing so well without me," Rowe wrote. She also indicated in court filings during the 2006 custody struggle that she had not seen the children since 2005, shortly after his trial ended in acquittal on all charges and Jackson moved the children overseas.

It is unclear how often Rowe has seen the children since Jackson returned to the Los Angeles area in recent months to prepare for a 50-show concert engagement in London. It is also unclear what role the children's godfather, British child actor Mark Lester, may play in the proceedings.
Whoever wins custody of Jackson's children won't automatically gain control of their inheritance, Phillips said.

"For many people, the person or persons who are taking care of their kids are not necessarily taking care of their money," Phillips said. "There's a benefit to that — a sort of a check-and-balance."
Rowe, or whoever is designated the children's guardian, will receive payments based on Jackson's estate, Phillips said.
More clarity about the fate of Jackson's children will likely come once court proceedings start.

Phillips said the custody issue will now be handled by a probate court. If it is filed at Los Angeles' main downtown courthouse, Phillips said it will be handled by judges with significant family law experience.
Phillips said the looming custody fight could be unlike any other.
"In all the cases I've read all over the country," she said, "I've never seen a fact pattern like this."

Contributing: AP Special Correspondent Linda Deutsch contributed to this report.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-06-29-jacksons-child-custody_N.htm

Back