Jordan Jackson a big hit at Apollo's amateur night with Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean'

suzynyc

Proud Member
My search didn't find this posted yet so I will go ahead. It's cute! Well, except for that darn "nickname" these papers insist on using, which I corrected here...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...0-04-11_tiny_dancers_a_big_hit_at_apollo.html

A star grows in Brooklyn.

He's a budding prince of pop who lives on Crown St. - and his last name is Jackson, just like his idol.

Meet 6-year-old Jordan Jackson, who's headed to the Apollo Theater amateur night quarterfinals with a thrilling dance routine set to Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean."

"I feel like I want to dance right now," Jordan said one day last week, grabbing his belt buckle as the beat kicked in on the living room stereo.

Jordan's fixation with all things MJ began in 2005 when he was on vacation in Mexico with parents Andrew and Sandra, both case managers at Brooklyn Federal Court. The family attended a performance by a Jackson impersonator and Jordan was hooked.

His dad scoured Web sites and music shops for DVDs and compact discs that now fill a miniature metal briefcase Jordan totes around. He taught himself complex dance moves, including the Moon Walk, by watching the videos over and over again.

"Michael Jackson is a better dancer than anybody," Jordan declared.

Even though he speaks of MJ in the present tense, Jordan knows the music legend died last year. When Sandra received a text message about his death, she rushed to Jordan's kindergarten class at the Brooklyn New School and found him in tears.

The teacher had tried to keep the news from him, but he overheard another parent talking about it and was distraught.

Last fall, a friend of Sandra's suggested Jordan strut his stuff at the Apollo. They spent $500 outfitting their mini-Jackson in a sequined jacket, satin pants, black fedora, white shoes and red bow tie. A tailor on Washington Ave. performed emergency alterations on the pants.

"Then the night before he decided he didn't want to go anymore," Sandra said. "But I took him and they basically loved him."

Jordan rocked the legendary house on March 24, besting a 7-year-old boy who sang "The Greatest Love of All" and an 8-year-old girl performing a contortionist act.

"I was a little nervous. People were yelling like crazy," Jordan recalled. "I was just feeling the music."

His parents are encouraging him to follow his dream, while cracking down on crotch-grabbing in his dance routines.

Despite his son's early success, Andrew Jackson vows school and Bible study will always come before dancing. "I'm not a big fan of making a child into a prodigy," he said. "A child should enjoy being a child."

alg_jordan_jackson.jpg

i'm glad i'm not any of the heartless walking dead people who call MJ that nickname, even after his death. a bunch of fools.

i'm glad for Jordan. although i wouldn't count on the apollo theater as clout for anything. MJ got successful, but the Apollo had nothing to do with it. after all, Luther Vandross was a ten time failure at the Apollo theater.

There are so many stories about kid MJ acts at the moment, there was a 4 year old who auditioned for Britain's Got Talent as a MJ tribute act. I still find it amazing how Michael touches so many generations. I know 2 year olds that love Michael and 70 year olds that love Michael. Just shows everyone how special he is.

i'm glad i'm not any of the heartless walking dead people who call MJ that nickname, even after his death. a bunch of fools.

i'm glad for Jordan. although i wouldn't count on the apollo theater as clout for anything. MJ got successful, but the Apollo had nothing to do with it. after all, Luther Vandross was a ten time failure at the Apollo theater.

Well, that's true for any talent contest. Even on American Idol some contestants who did not win the title have become very successful. And some who won the title not so much. Still, the Apollo amateur night contest is one of the legendary ones going back to the 1930's.

There are so many stories about kid MJ acts at the moment, there was a 4 year old who auditioned for Britain's Got Talent as a MJ tribute act. I still find it amazing how Michael touches so many generations. I know 2 year olds that love Michael and 70 year olds that love Michael. Just shows everyone how special he is.

It's a beautiful thing. :)

Here is a clip, gotta love it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4q8ktPbqd8

It always amazes me how fans of literally all ages love MJ. He is the only artist that I can think of that I can say that about. What is amazing is you constantly hear stories about newer and newer fans and they seem to be getting younger and younger. It truly speaks volumes of MJ's talent.

I love hearing about new fans especially when they are young such as this young man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4q8ktPbqd8

Back