Johnny Wright (Justin Timberlake's Manager) : Michael Jackson wanted the song "Gone"

Thoth

Proud Member
Timberlake's writing skills were getting him noticed by other big acts, too. Michael Jackson wanted "Gone," a JT-penned 'N Sync song from their last album, "Celebrity," Timberlake's manager Johnny Wright told CNN.

"We were at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Michael's people came and they said, 'Hey, you know, I think Michael wants to record that record.' I looked at Justin and I was like, You're not giving that record away, because I knew how important that record was to him and what it meant for him as a writer to finally get songs."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/23/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/justin-timberlake-rise-to-fame

I've always loved this song and it would have fit well on "Invincible", similar to "Don't Walk Away". But how come this is the first time that they've bought this up?

Last edited:
Re: Johnny Wright (Justin Timberlake's Manager) : Michael Jackson wanted "Gone"

Love the song and can totally hear MJ singing it, but that song was great for JT. It put him on another level in my eyes.

Would be cool... The song has this MJ beatbox beat to it, similar to SIM, CRY, etc. [youtube]IbRwSI8yi1o[/youtube]

So it were "Michael's people" who said this (who exactly?) and they just said they "I think Michael wants to record that record". It seems to me he did not want it enough to actually make a request...

(I admit I'm not really fond of JT. I'm annoyed by his fakeness.)

It was co-written by Justin and Wade Robson.

That's the only NSYNC song I actually really like. MJ would've totally killed it.

I admit this song is really good.

So it were "Michael's people" who said this (who exactly?) and they just said they "I think Michael wants to record that record". It seems to me he did not want it enough to actually make a request...

The same people who called up Pharrell Williams in late 99/2000 and said "Michael wants some of that 'Supathug'". The same people who turned down The Neptunes beats in 2001 because they thought they weren't up to par (which is kind of true by the way). The same/similar people who Michael questioned when 'they' didn't call up Teddy Riley in 1990 to work on his new album... MJ: "You didn't tell him (Teddy) that he's working on my album? " LOL

I like the song, but it's hard to know whether this is true or just made up for publicity. It's so easy for a manager to build up an artist by saying that Michael Jackson wanted Justin's song. Everybody wants to associate themselves with Michael now that he's dead and he's not here to deny any story. How did Michael get to hear the song before it was released anyway? Did Justin send him a demo tape in the hopes that Michael would record it?

I like the song, but it's hard to know whether this is true or just made up for publicity. It's so easy for a manager to build up an artist by saying that Michael Jackson wanted Justin's song. Everybody wants to associate themselves with Michael now that he's dead and he's not here to deny any story. How did Michael get to hear the song before it was released anyway? Did Justin send him a demo tape in the hopes that Michael would record it?

I don't think they're trying to associate themselves with Michael lol, but there's defintely some publicity (for the new album) especially when it's coming from Justin's Manager.

He heard the song through Wade Robson (who co-wrote the song) and was a very close friend to Michael since his childhood. What I'd really like to know is how the hell Mike heard Tyrese's 2000 watts? LOL

This is definitely true. My sister told me this back in 2001 (just before Invincible was released). Trying to think where else I read it from......

BTW, Celebrity is a good album....defo the Best from the Group, but then again, they've only done 3 albums :)

How "curious" back in 2003 he was absolutely embarrassed to be associated with Michael and now his PR team does it in every time they have the chance. I can't stand fake hypocrites!

Back