John Legend??

Stargirl

Proud Member
I just saw this think on Access with this dude named John Legend. Apparently he's won five grammyz { not in the same year i think } and is amazing in old soul music or something.

anyone know him? i think he's supposed to be really famous.... :p

Uh, yeah. I know him quite well. He had a song called "Ordinary People" that is his magnum opus thus far. Get Lifted was an incredible debut album.

He's not "out there" like some artists, but he's fairly well known amongs R&B/Soul fans. He's done live performances with Stevie Wonder a bunch of times, he's been Kanye West's pet project as well.

There's other threads about him on the forums.

Back when he was just getting started in the mainstream:

Ordinary People:

Let's Get Lifted

I think I've heard of him. I have about 1, 2, or actually all three of his albums. :)

He was the first artist I saw in concert when he was here on tour with the album 'get lifted', he was really good too :)

Some John Legend "stuff":

-Skipped two grades, went to college when he was 16.
-Played piano on a track for Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill" album.
-Played piano and did backing vocals on Alicia Key's "You Don't Know My Name".
-Did piano and backing vocals on Twista/Kanye's "Slow Jamz".
-Was a popular lounge act years prior to getting signed.
-will.i.am wrote "Ordinary People" for the Blackeyed Peas, but gave the track to Legend instead.
-Most of John Legend's debut album "Get Lifted" was finished before looking for a record deal. Legend, even with the album and Kanye West rooting for him, was turned down numerous times. He was eventually signed, the album released and several grammys won.

And I love this video:

I've never been to big on John Legend. GET LIFTED was a brilliant album but he's never been able to out do it. He is also going increasingly mainstream on us as of late. I listened to his latest album EVOLVER and as per usual there was only one or two tracks that clicked with me, this time the tracks being GOOD MORNING and I LOVE YOU LOVE.

Oh yeah, John Lennon, the former Beatle -- In My Life, I Am the Walrus, Help, and then solo work including Imagine, Instant Karma, Nobody Told Me -- he's great!

lol j/k, though it took me several seconds the 1st time i heard of him to comprehend that there was an artist John Legend w/out realizing it wasn't John Lennon, probably because I've played Lennon's "Lennon Legend" CD about a million times and got the wording confused, lol. . . . I haven't heard much so can't really comment one way or the other, but I've heard worse since what I heard didn't want to make me wear earplugs lol.

Oh yeah, John Lennon, the former Beatle -- In My Life, I Am the Walrus, Help, and then solo work including Imagine, Instant Karma, Nobody Told Me -- he's great!

lol j/k, though it took me several seconds the 1st time i heard of him to comprehend that there was an artist John Legend w/out realizing it wasn't John Lennon, probably because I've played Lennon's "Lennon Legend" CD about a million times and got the wording confused, lol. . . . I haven't heard much so can't really comment one way or the other, but I've heard worse since what I heard didn't want to make me wear earplugs lol.

lol...i understand having to blink twice when looking at his name. i made the same mistake. lol

as for John Legend..i don't like his music. he has a nice baritone voice..but i just don't like his songs. and the songs come first for me, the singer, comes after. so, i'm not really into him as an artist.

i hear he's doing well on the charts and got grammy nods, but how are his sales doing? i'm just curious.

Some John Legend "stuff":

-Skipped two grades, went to college when he was 16.
-Played piano on a track for Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill" album.
-Played piano and did backing vocals on Alicia Key's "You Don't Know My Name".
-Did piano and backing vocals on Twista/Kanye's "Slow Jamz".
-Was a popular lounge act years prior to getting signed.
-will.i.am wrote "Ordinary People" for the Blackeyed Peas, but gave the track to Legend instead.
-Most of John Legend's debut album "Get Lifted" was finished before looking for a record deal. Legend, even with the album and Kanye West rooting for him, was turned down numerous times. He was eventually signed, the album released and several grammys won.

And I love this video:

i love how Stevie's expressions show that he is truly happy in his musical universe, in that video

I've been going back to some of the older material and I think the Kanye/John Legend collabs (both alone and with other artists) are going to age real well. I also really love "Do What I Gotta Do", an earlier, pre-Get Lifted Legend track.

images
images

Do What I Gotta Do (John Legend feat. Kanye West)

About An Angel (Got Nowhere)

Selfish (Slum Village feat. Kanye West & John Legend)

Selfish (Remix) - John Legend feat. Kanye West

Selfish (Solo Remix at The House Of Blues)

They Say (Common feat. John Legend & Kanye West)

I'm Good (Acapella)

Last edited:
I'm proud to say I was one of his "first" fans. I went to see him at the Knitting Factory way before "Get Lifted" came out. That album is a classic.

I have that album (if it was indeed the same show). Great live album, pretty much an acoustic set and a very good one at that. It's interesting to see how some of the songs that would be on Get Lifted sounded before they were produced in the studio.

John Legend was recently recognized as one of TIME’ Magazine’s 100 Most Influential of 2009 and Quincy saluted him in the issue for the honor. One of Quincy’s most noteworthy talents is his ability to intuitively recognize talent, whether it has been Oprah, Michael Jackson, Will Smith, Lesley Gore, The Brothers Johnson or more recently-Alfredo Rodriguez. Quincy states that John Legend’s talent in the future will be beyond what it is today. In the article, Quincy describes John Legend as a “young Donny Hathaway, and I have no doubt that as he continues to grow, he will become as artistically and socially significant as Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and Stevie Wonder. He is a genius, and we’ve seen only the tip of the iceberg. For all that he has already achieved in his career, it is going to be fun watching where he goes from here.” In addition to John Legend’s past professional and musical accomplishments, Quincy knows that John’s star will shine brighter for years to come.

Quincy has good taste :)

Seeing him next month performing with Stevie Wonder, so yeah.. can't wait for that.

I absolutely love John Legend. He's one of my favourite singers, I dunno what it is but there's something about his voice that I love. And his songs are beautiful, particularly the Get Lifted album. I still play that now and love it just as much as when I first heard it. I have to say though, I was a bit disappointed with the 3rd album. Love Once Again as well though.

:wub:

*bump*

I'm listening to Heaven off the Once Again album. Man, something about this guys music that really ticks all the right boxes with me. It's almost got like, a dreamy quality to it. Anyone know what I mean? Definitely looking forward to hearing more from him.

Hmm just had a look around the net and seems like he has a new album coming out this year called Wake Up Sessions. Here's hoping it's better than Evolver.

Back