Joe Vogel - Remembering Michael Jackson, Four Years Later

qbee

Proud Member
Remembering Michael Jackson, Four Years Later

by Joe Vogel on <abbr class="published" title="2013-06-25">June 25, 2013</abbr>

Michael Jackson, 1988, by Gottfried Helnwein

The following passage is by bestselling author and former publicist, Howard Bloom, on his brief experience working with Michael in the mid-1980s. I think it beautifully describes the magic that was Michael Jackson. Enjoy!

We were all bunched together on the opposite side of the pool table from the art director. Michael was in the center. I stood next to him on his left. And the brothers were crowded around us on either side. The CBS art director slid the first of the portfolios toward Michael. He opened the first page, slowly &#8230; just enough to see perhaps an inch of the image. As he took in the artwork his knees began to buckle, his elbows bent, and all he could say was &#8220;oooohhhhh.&#8221; A soft, orgasmic &#8220;ooooh.&#8221; In that one syllable and in his body language, you could feel what he was seeing.

Do you know the poem by William Blake &#8211;

To see a World in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour . . .

The intense ambition of that poem, the intense desire for wonder, was alive in Michael. More alive than anything of the sort I&#8217;d ever seen. Michael saw the infinite in an inch. As Michael opened the page further, inch by inch, his knees and elbows bent even more and his &#8221;ooohs,&#8221; his sounds of aesthetic orgasm, grew even more intense. Standing elbow to elbow and shoulder to shoulder with him, you could feel him discovering things in the brush and inkstrokes that even the artist never saw. By the time he&#8217;d opened the full page his body and voice expressed an ecstasy. An aesthetic epiphany. I&#8217;d never encountered anything like it. Michael felt the beauty of the page with every cell of his being.

I&#8217;ve worked with Prince, Bob Marley, Peter Gabriel, Billy Joel, and Bette Midler, some of the most talented people of our generation, and not one of them had the quality of wonder that came alive in Michael. He saw the wonder in everything. His quality of wonder was beyond anything most of us humans can conceive.

Look, above all other things I&#8217;m a scientist. Science is my religion. It&#8217;s been my religion since I was ten years old. The first two rules of science are 1) the truth at any price including the price of your life; and 2) Look at the things right under your nose as if you&#8217;ve never seen them before and then proceed from there. And that&#8217;s not just a rule of science. It&#8217;s a rule of art. And it&#8217;s a rule of life. Very few people know it. Even fewer people live it. But Michael was it, he incarnated it in every follicle of his being. Michael was the closest I&#8217;ve ever come to a secular angel. A secular saint.

Look, I&#8217;m an atheist, but Michael was not. He believed he was given a gift by God. He believed he was given talents and wonders and astonishments seldom granted to us very fragile human beings. Because God had given him this enormous gift, he felt he owed the experience of wonder, astonishment, awe, and Blake&#8217;s infinities to his fellow human beings. But unlike other generous humans&#8211;Bill and Melinda Gates, for example&#8211;with Michael giving to others was not just a part-time thing. The need to give to others was alive in every breath he took every single day.

Michael Jackson&#8217;s entire life was receiving and giving and the whole purpose of receiving was so he could give. He worked with every cell in his body to give the gift of that amazement, that astonishment to his fellow human beings.

Needing the adulation of crowds WAS Michael&#8217;s connection to others, his most profound connection, far more profound than family and friends (though those are indispensable), and far more healing. That act of giving keeps an iconic person, a person who never knows normalness, alive.

I&#8217;d love to tell you the stories of how Michael made these things clear. But, again, those tales will have to wait for another day.

It seems strange to say this, but Michael will always be a part of me. No other superstar I worked with wound himself into the threads at my core the way he did. Michael opened a window to a quality of wonder unlike anything I&#8217;d ever been exposed to in my life. For that gift, I felt I owed him. I felt we all owed him. And we still do. We owe him an honest view of who he was. We will owe him that until we finally sweep away the crap of sensationalist headlines and clearly see why those who love him know more about him than any expert or journalist who claims to have probed his life. Those journalists and experts do not know Michael Jackson. But if you love him, there&#8217;s a good chance that you do.

RIP MJ

[video=youtube_share;he5nO3ccAv8]http://youtu.be/he5nO3ccAv8[/video]
http://youtu.be/he5nO3ccAv8

Please Leave a comment here also to support Joe Vogel
http://www.joevogel.net/remembering-michael-jackson-four-years-later

Wow that was a wonderful read and how true! most journalists couldn't dream of writing such truth about Michael, thank you qbee. This really got to me:
Those journalists and experts do not know Michael Jackson. But if you love him, there&#8217;s a good chance that you do.
:girl_sigh:

Michael Jackson&#8217;s entire life was receiving and giving and the whole purpose of receiving was so he could give. He worked with every cell in his body to give the gift of that amazement, that astonishment to his fellow human beings.

Wonderful.

Beautiful and heartfelt piece of writing. Thank you Mr Vogel.

You will always be remembered, MJ. You have made your mark on this world in a fashion few people will ever replicate. None of us can imagine the strange and overwhelming life you lived. We can only appreciate the glimpses you have allowed us through your art and your generosity. I will always be honoured to have lived in the days where you lived. You were an admirable human being, unworthy of the vicious hatred you had to deal with.

This was a good read. Even looking at it objectively, I still find it hard to comprehend Michael... He was an immense person. So special, so different, so magical, it's almost unreal. How is it possible that one person is so many things?

It's sad that a part of the world is out to hurt him and those who appreciate him. Sure you can dislike his music and his image. But some people genuinely despise him, and that saddens me to no end. Sure he made mistakes but he was a human. His every intention was to create, to help and to love. 'A secular saint' is a perfect description of what he represents to me.

Thank you for quoting this, Joe, and for posting it, Qbee. It's good to hear Howard Blooms's beautiful words--and this passage was written by him--all of it, except forJoe's introductory sentences. Howard was watching MJ look at some artwork for an album cover for the Jacksons.

But some people genuinely despise him, and that saddens me to no end. Sure he made mistakes but he was a human.

I couldn't have said it any better & I have to say Joseph Vogel is amazing, since i have his book The Man in the Music, & to me, it's one of the best books written about Michael, since it specificially talks only about his music & the creative genius behind it all

Wonderful..
I immediately thanked leaving comments, we need people who write and describe the true essence of Michael.

Thanks .. In tears.

He believed he was given a gift by God. He believed he was given talents and wonders and astonishments seldom granted to us very fragile human beings. Because God had given him this enormous gift, he felt he owed the experience of wonder, astonishment, awe, and Blake&#8217;s infinities to his fellow human beings.

"And my goal in life is to give to the world what I was lucky to receive:
the ecstasy of divine union through my music and my dance.
&#8221; ~ Michael Jackson

Back