Joe Vogel FULL Cover of Man in the Music

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
http://www.joevogel.net/man-in-the-music

mjcover3D-copy.png

“In many ways, an artist is his work.”—Michael Jackson

OVER HIS FOUR DECADES IN THE PUBLIC SPOTLIGHT, Michael Jackson revolutionized the way we experience music. His songs, videos, and live performances not only broke records, they dissolved barriers and inspired generations of fans from every corner of the world.

Yet in spite of his achievements, Jackson’s creative work was often overshadowed by the tabloid frenzy that surrounded his controversial life. By the time of his tragic death in 2009, many people had forgotten the talent, originality and ambition that made him a star to begin with. In this lavishly illustrated book, author Joseph Vogel moves past the sensationalism and mythology to reveal the first in-depth assessment of the MAN IN THE MUSIC (November 2011 / $24.95 / 978140277981/ Sterling Publishing)

Featuring a foreword by Rolling Stone contributing editor Anthony DeCurtis, MAN IN THE MUSIC covers Jackson’s entire solo career, from 1979’s groundbreaking Off the Wall and 1982’s world-conquering Thriller to his frequently overlooked later work, including a glimpse into the music he was creating in his final years. Vogel shows that, contrary to popular belief, the quality of Jackson’s work didn’t decline after Thriller. Rather, similar to the Beatles, he continued to evolve in interesting and provocative ways.

Meticulously researched and documented, Vogel draws on hundreds of sources, including news archives, Jackson’s own words, and personal interviews with Jackson’s collaborators (some of whom are speaking publicly about their experiences for the first time). With each album, Vogel takes the reader back in time, placing the music in its social and historical context, discussing its relation to Jackson’s personal life, and revealing fascinating, behind-the-scenes details from the studio. Each song is carefully described and interpreted, from well-known masterpieces like “Billie Jean” to lesser-known standouts like “Stranger in Moscow.”

With a wealth of color photos and fresh insights, MAN IN THE MUSIC is the most rigorous and reliable assessment of Michael Jackson’s artistic achievement to date.

AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT BARNES & NOBLE AND AMAZON.COM!

International Readers:

AUSTRALIA (Book Depository)
AUSTRIA (Amazon.de; Book Depository)
BRAZIL (Book Depository)
CANADA (Amazon.ca)
FRANCE (Amazon.fr; Book Depository)
GERMANY (Amazon.de; Book Depository)
ITALY (Book Depository)
JAPAN (Amazon.jp; Book Depository)
PHILIPPINES (Book Depository)
SPAIN (Book Depository)
U.K. (Amazon.co.uk; Book Depository)

“The most thorough and accurate portrayal of Michael’s musical life I’ve ever seen.” — Brad Buxer, Songwriter/Musician, Music Director for Dangerous and HIStory World Tours

“Illuminates the creative life of the greatest performer of our time…Joe shows us a time in history, the happenings of the world, and the creative energy of Michael Jackson and the team of people around him who helped create the iconic songs that propelled him to superstardom. Joe’s thorough examination includes interviews and excerpts from those most familiar with his work, offering a glimpse behind the scenes of how the magic was created…Michael’s perseverance and motivation were matched only by his desire for perfection. Joe shows that as the consummate professional, Michael’s pursuit of songwriting, dancing, producing, and directing, were all means for him to spread his ideas and visions of what the world could be…[Man in the Music] offers the most complete (and, I might add, the most accurate) look into Michael’s creative nature.” — Matt Forger, Technical Engineer for Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and HIStory

“This is the kind of book about Michael Jackson’s music, artistry and creativity that really needed to be written — and Joseph Vogel has done it and done it very well. I am absolutely floored by Joe’s in-depth research and perceptive insight into what made Michael the one-of-a-kind, recording-breaking King of Pop. And — amazingly enough — even I learned a lot!” — J. Randy Taraborrelli, Author of Michael Jackson: The Magic and the Madness

“A tribute Michael Jackson’s spellbinding work more than lives up to, and more than deserves.” — Anthony DeCurtis, Contributing Editor, Rolling Stone

maninthemusicjkt-1-1024x383.jpg

That's a nice cover. The forward is from someone that works for Rolling Stone? I thought they didn't like Michael. I don't understand the quote from Anthony one at the end.

Wow, it looks great! Front and back! And great positive words from some of his musical friends. And yea, i'm also kinda unsure about this Anthony DeCurtis guy. For the past 2 decades Rolling Stone has been nothing short of rude and appalling to Michael, calling all his albums past Bad practically worthless, making fun of his vocal techniques and ad-libs, following along with the media's circus of his private life, and more. All this Anthony guy proves to me is that RS is full of bullshitters who follow the "band"wagon.

Still very VERY excited about this book! Not gonna pre-order. I'd rather just hit up Barnes & Noble when it comes out, or wait for it as a Christmas present.

Thats an awesome cover and pic and yes it looks very beautiful, Classy (RESPECT)
this is what we need a dignified researched look at Michael's work wrapped inside a classy package.

mjcover3D-copy.png

maninthemusicjkt-1-1024x383.jpg

The cover looks good! I am so excited about this book.

I can't wait for this book to be released. A definete must have for all fans.

It is beautiful isn't it.

As for Anthony Decurtis, I believe he was actually a Michael supporter for a long time, but alas, even his writing became more critical after Invincible. But of course, it's cool to jump on the MJ bandwagon once again now, sooooooo... :timer:

well when its a book im not too sure of, i wait til its on ebay 2nd hand n ill buy it... therefore im not putting money in their pocket :)

^ This is ridiculous. This guy spent 6 years researching Michael...and you don't want to put money in his pocket?

He did not copy paste some tabloid bullish!t...he did the hard work.

SMDH at the ignorance. MJ fans never cease to amaze me.

really a MUST HAve....mjfans or not...this is really the book finally Focused on his ARTISTRY!

Hope its a best seller! Go Joe, if you've read the 'earth song' piece. So epic?

well when its a book im not too sure of, i wait til its on ebay 2nd hand n ill buy it... therefore im not putting money in their pocket :)

I will gladly put money in someone's pocket for this research. Just pouring over the footnotes gave me another 5 book ideas.
Unless he magically manages a turn around of 180 degrees, this book should be long overdue relief from "paternity, lawsuits and cosmetic surgery" cr*p. These are precisely the books you'd want to see in the biography and music departments of bookstores.

Sure, the author runs the risk of analysis-paralysis, and he certainly adds 'flowers' if you will- but my God, it was a pleasure to read just "Earth Song". My grey cells rotated in ultimate delight along the insides of my skull.

Mr. Vogel raised the bar for respectful analysis and and interpretation of Michael's art and for that I'll thank the man in honesty.

The Michael Jackson community has not problem paying a man for an honest work that is a credit to Michael Jackson
Joe Vogel is writer thats what he does for a living and I for one will be happy to pay him for all the days years and hours
of research he has done to wrtie this aweome book about Michael's music an work. No one else has ever done this before
The Mj family Embraces and respects Joe Vogel for all his dedication hard work To show the true heart and genious of
Michael jackson

I hope you understand better now the difference of those who just use Michael and those who are here
to lift up and honor Michael with thier work. Joe Vogel is such a person and a true MJ fan . he deserves to be
paid and even profit from the hard work he has done for Michael Jackson's legacy :)

“This is the kind of book about Michael Jackson’s music, artistry and creativity that really needed to be written — and Joseph Vogel has done it and done it very well. I am absolutely floored by Joe’s in-depth research and perceptive insight into what made Michael the one-of-a-kind, recording-breaking King of Pop. And — amazingly enough — even I learned a lot!” — J. Randy Taraborrelli, Author of Michael Jackson: The Magic and the Madness
Hilarious... it says a lot About J. Randy and his "research." <_<

Anyways, this book is definitely on my x-mas wish list! :)

&#8220;This is the kind of book about Michael Jackson&#8217;s music, artistry and creativity that really needed to be written &#8212; and Joseph Vogel has done it and done it very well. I am absolutely floored by Joe&#8217;s in-depth research and perceptive insight into what made Michael the one-of-a-kind, recording-breaking King of Pop. And &#8212; amazingly enough &#8212; even I learned a lot!&#8221; &#8212; J. Randy Taraborrelli, Author of Michael Jackson: The Magic and the Madness

Why does his opinion even matter....could've done without it.

Anyway, looking forward to this and hopefully it gets the proper media coverage it deserves.

The Michael Jackson community has not problem paying a man for an honest work that is a credit to Michael Jackson
Joe Vogel is writer thats what he does for a living and I for one will be happy to pay him for all the days years and hours
of research he has done to wrtie this aweome book about Michael's music an work. No one else has ever done this before
The Mj family Embraces and respects Joe Vogel for all his dedication hard work To show the true heart and genious of
Michael jackson
he deserves to be paid and even profit from the hard work he has done for Michael Jackson's legacy
:clapping::yes:

I won't be waiting until Christmas to get it. I'll get it as soon as it comes out :)

me too.

I fully support books like this one that are based on research and analysis. It seems to focus on MJ the artist and creator, and that is what we need. So, I'm glad to put money in Vogel's pocket to encourage that others will write histories and analyses that delve into Michael Jackson's creative ouevre. Hats off to Joe Vogel for the "Earth Song" piece!

Second review of Man in the Music is in:

&#8220;Vogel, a Huffington Post writer, immerses readers in a chronological exploration of Michael Jackson&#8217;s remarkable solo career. Chapter by chapter and literally song by song, he discusses Jackson&#8217;s albums, videos, dances, cinematic influences, musical heroes, idiosyncrasies, and artistic transformations from the inception of Off the Wall, Jackson&#8217;s 1979 solo debut, through 2001&#8242;s Invincible, his last studio album. In a final chapter set after Jackson&#8217;s notorious child abuse trial, Vogel reconstructs the performer&#8217;s plans for a series of comeback concerts and the worldwide shock following news of his death. Vogel has produced a smart&#8211;if at times academic&#8211;study of Jackson&#8217;s creativity and musical legacy. Based on interviews (none with Jackson himself), articles, and reviews, he achieves moments of intimacy and insight: a glimpse of Jackson, an ambitious perfectionist, in the studio relaxing his vocal cords with a hot drink poured over cough drops. By astutely contextualizing Jackson&#8217;s cultural impact and relevance, Vogel bolsters his premise that media sensationalism continues to denigrate Jackson&#8217;s artistic integrity without sounding vindictive. Strangely, Vogel occasionally undermines his hard work by giving Jackson a makeover as a romantic hero rather than a unique, complex multimedia celebrity. Jackson may have agreed; readers will enjoy.&#8221; &#8212;Publishers Weekly

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/bhr1ma

Of course it's a MUST HAVE, and not because of the reviews.

I understand why some fans are worried bout the book as its hard to tell whether the author is being genuine bout michael. Alot just write utter trash and hope ppl will but it anyway cuz its all bout the $$$ to some author's.

From what some of you guys have said it sounds nice and im looking forward to when its released here in australia

Pre ordered my copy, should be a good read. I'm particularly looking forward to reading about the Dangerous album because most books focus on Off The Wall and Thriller, have a little section on Bad and just gloss over the Dangerous album which in my opinion is Michael's best album.

I understand what's being said, I'm just saying that's what I'd do if I weren't too sure bout the book, but reading what's been posted from it... Sounds good :)

Back