Jimi Hendrix drummer Mitch Mitchell dies

SIDEWALK

Proud Member
:( one of my idols
Rest In Peace
x

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/13/mitch-mitchell-dies

Mitch Mitchell, the last surviving member of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, has died.

The drummer in one of the world's most influential rock bands was found dead in a hotel room in Portland, Oregon in the early hours of Wednesday November 12. He was 61.

Alongside Hendrix and bass player Noel Redding, the trio formed in 1966 and released their debut album Are You Experienced? in 1967, going on to make Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland before dissolving in 1970, shortly before Hendrix's death. Redding died in 2003.

Credited with developing a "fusion" drumming style that melded his jazz background with rock'n'roll, Mitchell's work can be heard on famous tracks including Manic Depression, Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and Crosstown Traffic

He also drummed in the supergroup Dirty Mac with John Lennon, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards.

Paying tribute to the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, who inducted the band in 1992, said they gave "theatrical, incendiary performances at the Monterey Pop and Woodstock festivals, including the ceremonial torching of (Hendrix's) guitar at Monterey, which have become part of rock'n'roll legend".

Mitchell appears to have died from natural causes, according to reports from Associated Press, although there has yet to be an autopsy. He had been performing in a Jimi Hendrix tribute band in Portland, Oregon.

when I had my drummer ambitions, I wanted to be able to play like this exceptional pioneer.

JHE - Fire

better than great.

Rest in peace.

mank_band.jpg

:cry:

Very sad news. He was brilliant drummer, and from interviews I've seen him do he also seemed like a really nice man.

Back