Jennifer Hudson Talks About Michael

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=85:latest-news&id=4360:jennifer-hudson-talks-about-mj&Itemid=82

(26-1-2011) In a recent online chat, singer/actress Jennifer Hudson spoke about Michael Jackson and how she feels she's just now getting to know him even though he's gone.

Hudson says she was very surprised when she was asked to sing at the King of Pop's public memorial in July 2009 at the Staple center in Los Angeles. Having never met Jackson, Hudson was at home pregnant and resting when she learned of his death and was asked to sing at the event.

After receiving the invitation, she asked herself, "Why [do] they want me to sing?" she said. "It just puzzled me. How am I the one to sing for it?"

Later, Jackson's music director told her that the singer loved her music. "He was a big supporter of you and a big fan," she said, paraphrasing the music director. "He wanted to have you come sing [with] him overseas for his tour."

Hudson couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Are you serious?" she replied. "I didn't even know the man knew I existed!"

She later learned more about Jackson's appreciation of her work while performing in Dubai and London, where she spoke to several of Jackson's royal friends.

"They would sit and tell me stories about Michael Jackson," Hudson said. "One of them was telling me that when I was nominated for my Oscar, '[Michael] was like, calling [him] on the phone, screaming, telling [him], 'Jennifer won!' And told me the whole spiel.' It brought tears to my eyes. Like wow, I‘m getting to know him, meet him through his family and friends who still live on."

Source: MJFC / new.music.yahoo.com

That's a cute story. Michael was a Jennifer Hudson fan - lol! I wonder if he watched her on American Idol.

That's sweet. I bet he watched American Idol when he could. I was just watching Dreamgirls last night for the first time. Unfortunately I fell asleep so I didn't see the entire movie but I was impressed with what I saw of Jennifer.

Last edited:
He was so happy for others' success, wasn't at all jealous, but happy and encouraging.

Yes. It is so refreshing to hear about him sitting at home and cheering for someone to win.

Thanks for posting.

"They would sit and tell me stories about Michael Jackson," Hudson said. "One of them was telling me that when I was nominated for my Oscar, '[Michael] was like, calling [him] on the phone, screaming, telling [him], 'Jennifer won!' And told me the whole spiel.'
Got me wondering if he watched the movie Dreamgirls. We know he saw the musical in the 80s. If so, maybe he liked her portrayal of Florence Ballard?

Maybe because Jennifer Hudson is from Chicago, Illinois and Michael was born in Gary, Indiana an industrial suburb of Chicago, and that made Michael feel proud that someone close his hometown achieved great success thanks solely to her talent.

Maybe because Jennifer Hudson is from Chicago, Illinois and Michael was born in Gary, Indiana an industrial suburb of Chicago, and that made Michael feel proud that someone close his hometown achieved great success thanks solely to her talent.
Yep, probably, and I think he was excited about it also because a black woman won the award. He knew from his own experience how racist and sexist the entertainment industry can be.

Yep, probably, and I think he was excited about it also because a black woman won the award. He knew from his own experience how racist and sexist the entertainment industry can be.

That's true.

Back