Jay-Z displays effortless cool, honors Jackson

ClassX

Proud Member
On the same day that fans and celebrities alike congregated for Michael Jackson's memorial service in Los Angeles, Jay-Z paid tribute to the departed pop star in front of a sold-out crowd at Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island.

With his versatile, 10-piece band locked into The Jackson Five's "I Want You Back," Jay-Z flashed a broad smile and began dropping verses from "Izzo (HOVA)," adjusting his nimble flow to fit the soul classic. "Let's not wait to mourn death," he announced, images of a young Jackson flashing on a screen behind him. "Let's celebrate life."

The MC, born Shawn Carter in Brooklyn, N.Y., wisely followed his own advice for the entirety of Tuesday's 80-minute set, turning out a spectacular, career-spanning performance. He channeled Clint Eastwood's surly "Gran Torino" vet on a ferocious "D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune)," chiding rappers who rely on the pitch-correction software to craft easy hooks. A second new tune from "The Blueprint 3" (due this fall), delivered a cappella alongside wingman Memphis Bleek, hinted at an even more bare-knuckle direction, Jay-Z spitting, "I ain't talking 'bout profit/I'm talking 'bout pain."

Dressed head-to-toe in black and sporting dark sunglasses, Jay-Z projected an effortless cool throughout, name-dropping Frank Sinatra and bragging he could "do this in [his] sleep." Fortunately, he refused to coast, darting through the syncopated carnival groove of "Big Pimpin' " like Barry Sanders slicing up an NFL defense. Elsewhere, the rapper delivered a thunderous "99 Problems," amping the song's metal edge as though he were lobbying for his own burger at Kuma's Corner. Just two songs later, in testament to his versatility, Jay-Z had the crowd singing along to a hook cribbed from the Broadway musical "Annie" on a celebratory "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0709-jay-z-ovnjul09,0,2087096.story

Back