Jarvis C 'The truth Re.1996 BRITs: UK Radio 4 6.30pm 17th Sept 10

myosotis

Proud Member
I guess this should be subtitled ' probable negativity alert'.
On UK Radio 4 tonight, Friday 17th Sept, Jarvis Cocker will be speaking in the programme 'Chain Reaction' about 'what really happened at the 1996 Brit awards'.

Not sure there was any doubt about what really happened!
Also not sure I can be bothered to sit through 30 mins of 'Jarvis who?' to hear 3 mins of self justification for a poor publicity stunt.

Anyway, just thought I'd flag it in case anyone is interested.

We know what really happened. He was a drunken idiot and a publicity-hungry opportunist. The British press were so gulliable to believe Jarvis did this as some kind of protest against MJ's "messiah act". It was a textbook publicity stunt - cheap, shameless and disrespectful.

He said in an interview last year after MJ's death.

That MJ hadnt made any good songs since the mid-80's.

The only positive thing he said was wrong. He said MJ invented the Moonwalk. He cant even get that right.

WOW! If u hate MJ u can get air time I see and book deal and so on! But, anything positive forget it, no one gives it a chance! The more they hated the bigger he became or don't they know that!? LMAO!

The guy has no life or career so the only thing he can do is talk about MJ! Sad and pathetic fool!

Thank god the version I have cuts his ass off! I don't see him and MJ performance is awesome! Gotta love how his chicken shit ass only got on stage when MJ was in the crane up high and quickly left before MJ went back down! LMAO! What a FAKE A$$! MORON!

I'd love to see for Mr. Jarvis C write a song, pick up a microphone, get on stage and than we be the judges of what's appropriate, disturbing other people's definition of art is just a silly sophomoric stunt.

Man, Michael dealt with a lot of jealousy and some narrow horizons, that one just sailed right over Mr. C's head.

lol the only gig he could get after that little debacle was singing on the 4th installment movie of Harry Potter. i doubt the man can stay sober enough to do a full album let alone sing one song. He is yet another example of an attention whore.

Whether he agreed with Michael's "Christ-like" (his words) performance or not, it was still incredibly unprofessional he should just drop it.

You know what I dont get.

Everytime he gives an explanation for it he says, he was pretending to be Jesus.

That part of the performance hadnt even happened yet when he came on stage?

At that point Michael had just come out, danced a bit then the people started coming onto the stage. Then he was on the crane, nothing that could be seen as acting christ like had happened yet.

I think he really just wanted the publicity, or just thought it would be funny. Then came up with that explanation afterwards.

Mike should of flying headbutted him right off stage... just saying.

Michael couldnt have done anything, you know why?

Because Jarvis waited till he was up on and on the crane to get on the stage.

Yeahhh big man.

You know what I dont get.

Everytime he gives an explanation for it he says, he was pretending to be Jesus.

That part of the performance hadnt even happened yet when he came on stage?

At that point Michael had just come out, danced a bit then the people started coming onto the stage. Then he was on the crane, nothing that could be seen as acting christ like had happened yet.

I think he really just wanted the publicity, or just thought it would be funny. Then came up with that explanation afterwards.

You are so correct! So pretty much it was just a hater hatin! Again it was just pathetic!

He also said that he had not seen the rehearsal...he had tried to 'sit in' to watch it but was asked to leave, as mj didn't want anyone in the audience for the rehearsal...seems fair enough to me. Then JC tried to blame practically everyone else for what he did, saying that his keyboardist urged him to go and make some kind of protest, and that 'he didn't expect that he would get as far as the stage, as he thought security would stop him'. ermm, maybe having a bit of respect for another artiste might have stopped him! Who is he to dictate what the audience can and cannot watch.

I almost forgot about that numbskull...wasn't he that dude against MJ's performance, thought he was acting too much like a 'god or jesus' ? That was it right...something more?

Oh and Jarvis is such a religious man that he felt like he should be the one to say "THIS IS WRONG" ...whatever. No Christian-groups had any problem with MJ portraying the performance how he did, and Jarvis is not a religious person so the excuse about him hating that MJ was acting like God is pure BS.

Honestly, there are a lot of artists that I can't stand; but still you'd have enough respect for not only the fact that other people DO enjoy them, but also respect for yourself to not look like an arsehole in front of thousands of people. It was all about getting some attention, tbh. Pulp weren't very well known outside of the UK at that time (except for one song) and it suddenly won him some worldwide attention.

If MJ did that to another performer, I'd feel the same - I'd sit back and think "what a giant tool!" ...

But as Michael said, "Great artists don't bring down great artists."

It was pure jealousy.........A British awards show and a Black American gets all the attention!!!!!!

But to be honest there were other artists in the 90's Britpop/Indie genre who were complete ******{Insert offensive word here}******!!!!!!!!!.........

.......I also remember reading that the Oasis brothers were sticking up for COCKer!!!!!

wow, totally forgot about this guy and was surprised to see his name in the thread title. is he still around? are people still interested in him? or is it just his chance to use Michael's name again and get his 15 min of fame?

Jarvis Cocker is the biggest FLOP! What is he doing with his life?

.......I also remember reading that the Oasis brothers were sticking up for COCKer!!!!!

Yep.

(From wiki...)

Opinions from the press on Cocker's actions were mixed. The 2 March 1996, edition of Melody Maker, for example, suggested Cocker should be knighted, and Noel Gallagher, of Oasis claimed "Jarvis Cocker is a star and he should be given an MBE". However, other journalists and the organisers of the BRIT Awards were outraged by Cocker's behaviour

The Oasis brothers are just a bunch of asses. They're so overrated it's not even funny

Dont worry about the Oasis brothers. It was basically there jobs to be knobs.....haha Its all part of their character. Although I do believe Liam is a legitimate ass.

Noel isnt quite as bad.

The Oasis brothers are just a bunch of asses. They're so overrated it's not even funny

I would say Liam is overrated. Noel however is a great songwriter.

Doesn't this man feel embarrassed to have to gained any attention this way instead of getting it from his own music? Doesn't he feel ashamed to be the 'that guy who got kicked off the stage from MJ's Earth Song performance'?

Anyways, it's always a hoot to see Jarvis fans praise him, but in reality, I feel that was a very punkish thing to do. Why not get up there when MJ was actually on the stage rather than not? That just screams of the other party having no balls.

I know its not in Mikes nature to do so, but didn't Mike know Kung Fu...
That would have taught the git a lesson. :tease:

Well Jarvis will only ever be remembered for that 'stunt' because let's face it, he didn't produce any amazing songs or do anything else that was even remotely interesting. If I were him I'd be rather depressed that I'd only be remembered in history for flashing my backside onstage.

Back