James DeBarge speaks out on how MJ saved his life

James DeBarge (Janet Jackson’s ex husband) speaks out about Michael Jackson saving him from committing suicide on Wednesday’s “Dr. Drew’s Lifechangers” Sept 21 on the CW:

James – “…One time I was on the roof of his (Michael J.) house…I was going to jump and everyone was losing it…”
Dr. Drew – “How did he stop you?”
James – “He was the only one NOT freaking out! He seemed to be familiar with my pain…he knew I needed someone to talk to so he was that ear. So we just talked all night and I forgot that I was even on the roof and that I was going to jump.”
Members of the popular 80′s R&B group DeBarge; James, Bunny and Randy open up to Dr. Drew about their addictions, self-destruction, the Jackson family and more on Wednesday’s two part intervention special with the DeBarge family on “Dr. Drew’s Lifechangers,” Wednesday, Sept. 21 on the CW at 3 & 3:30pm ET/PT.

Last edited:
I love the DeBarge family! I feel bad for them because that family been thru sooooo much the last few decades and manage to stay strong.

Anyway, Mike love the family and was close with them when James was married to Janet. You can tell James sincerely misses him.

Mike loved and cared for people. :love:

Definitely gonna check this episode out!

Wow, never heard of this before. I wish i could watch the episode.

Well, wasn't MJ the world's biggest pedophile in '93? Funny that.

In 1993 James DeBarge Called Michael Jackson 'The World's biggest pedophile'.

It's a well known story. He said Michael was going 'weeeee' on the bed playing with kids. I can't remember if it was before or after Janet though, sorry

In 1993 James DeBarge Called Michael Jackson 'The World's biggest pedophile'.

I remember that. Funny now Michael is dead some people who stabbed Michael in the back now say how great he was. Maybe, just maybe if these people like James DeBarge and others spoke about how kind and honest a person Michael was between 1993-2009. At a time Michael needed the support he showed them at their time need, maybe Michael would still be alive today. Sure the blame is with Conrad Murray, but those little seeds planted that caused Michael not to be able to sleep. may also have been stress related from the abuse he took for too long from the media. And we all know the names of some famous people who could have supported Michael during that time, who took to making various negative statements and lies about Michael.

^^ Exactly. People need to know that it wasn't just Murray it was DeBarge, it was Janet, it was LaToya. Alot of people are to blame

I didn't know DeBarge said this about Michael in 1993. Disappointing. And even more so if this story about MJ saving his life is true. So you stabbed him in the back as a thanks, James?

My greatest admiration for Michael is how he managed to keep his faith in mankind after all the betrayals he had to experience.

I'm amazed at how many lives Michael saved - not just by his music, but literally.

So if you say weeeeeeeeeee on a bed with kids you are a P. I have to remind myself to not say weeeeeeeee when I am playing with little kids now. Some of these stories seem so stupid.

Are you sure it is not the other Debarge brother who always dumps on Michael?

Although after watching the video it is possible he said it. You can see how the drugs has ravaged him, so back then high on drugs he could have said anything for money and attention.

Hmm wasn't there a book or something?

*EDIT* I think that was his mother

Last edited:
I like this because we can see it with his own mouth what he's saying and it's from the heart, you can tell. I don't like hearing "so and so said this" because it is so easy for someone to put words in someone elses mouth and start trouble (ei: media misquoting someone, to all out lying about what someone said, or taking something out of context). I didn't see this man say that bad thing about Michael, I only saw him say this.

Thank you for sharing it.

Joe is a heartless bastard:
Jackson Family Values:

Once, when he was despondent over something or high on drugs, James had climbed up on the roof and threatened suicide. Joseph came out of the house, took one look at his son-in-law, and told him to jump.

Joe statement is so like him. I guess he meant "you want to take your life, go right ahead." Sometimes the person is shocked by that statement and then pause in their suicidal actions. Maybe Joe read that somewhere......... but I doubt it.

I can't believe that each day passes I get to learn something new that prooves my theory more and more that he truly was an angel sent from above!! His entire life he suffered from the pain that others caused him and yet he only gave back love, help and understanding! There's truly no one and never will there be anyone like him in this world!

My greatest admiration for Michael is how he managed to keep his faith in mankind after all the betrayals he had to experience.

I second that, but sometimes wonder whether this was smart of him. Some people have no redeeming qualities whatsoever, after all, and constantly choose to hurt and use others. It appears as though this guy is one of those, if what dam2040 says is true. Personally, I would have let him jump, but that's just me. You've got to admire Michael for being so brave and wise, though--dealing with a suicidal person as he is about to take action is like walking on eggshells--stressful as Hell and disastrous if it goes wrong. The fact that Michael not only took the time to talk him out of it, but also remained calm during the entire ordeal, speaks volumes of his own character, especially if the man in question really did say those awful things about him.

In the end, more power to Michael.

Back