Jackson's Other Legacy: A Savvy Estate Plan

CherubimII

Proud Member
Jackson's Other Legacy: A Savvy Estate Plan
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/11/AR2009071100676.html

[SIZE=-1]By Jane Bennett Clark[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kiplinger's Personal Finance/Sunday, July 12, 2009 [/SIZE]

For a guy who squandered millions, Michael Jackson did something surprisingly sensible before his death:He set up a smart estate plan.

Jackson's will provides for the care of his loved ones. A separate document gathers his assets -- said to be more $500 million, exceeding his debt by about $200 million -- into a trust, ensuring that his affairs stay (mostly) out of the courts and (ideally) out of the public eye. The arrangements set the stage for an orderly disposition of his chaotic empire, says Todd Reinstein, an estate-planning lawyer in Los Angeles.

Here's what you can learn from the former pop megastar:

-- Write a will. A no-brainer? Actually, about two-thirds of Americans neglect to take on this basic estate-planning chore, allowing a judge to divvy up their assets by default according to state law. Had Jackson been similarly remiss, his property would have been split among his three children, as dictated by California law. Instead, he divided it the way he wanted to, reportedly leaving 40 percent of his estate to the children; 40 percent to his mother, Katherine Jackson; and 20 percent to charity.
Jackson avoided potential misunderstandings by citing each of his children by name and by specifically excluding his former wife, Debbie Rowe, from any inheritance.

-- Consider a living trust. Along with a will, Jackson established a living trust. This estate-planning tool lets you transfer property, including cars, bank accounts and real estate, into a separately owned entity -- in Jackson's case, the Michael Jackson Family Trust -- while maintaining control as trustee. At your death, control transfers to your designated co-trustee or successor trustee.

-- Name a guardian. Jackson created a legal framework for naming a guardian for his children. Without that document, the state -- not Jackson -- would have made the choice about who would raise the children. Jackson selected his mother as primary guardian and Diana Ross as backup.

-- Assemble a good team. Jackson named a top-notch lawyer, John Branca, and a savvy business executive, John McClain, as co-executors of his will and co-trustees of the family trust. Despite a challenge by Katherine Jackson, Branca and McClain were awarded control of the estate by a California Superior Court judge until the next court hearing in August. By relying on experts, Jackson improved the odds that his wishes would play out, Reinstein said.

Last edited:
u can tell theres no news right now. they create a pointless article to fill space

The important point this article emphasizes is that Michael Jackson,
while he was living, did everything he could to look out for the
future welfare of his children.
I am truly happy for his children.

My only concern is that I hope Katherine will make sure
Prince, Paris, and Blanket receive a good education.
I know Michael Jackson wants that to happen, and
I pray it will happen. :angel: There's a lot of money involved, and
someday the children will have to know how to use it best.

Did anyone catch the point that his assets are at 500 mil and his debt is 300 mil?

If you do the math, 500 - 300 = 200 million and that's not counting the income that will now be made after his death.

Bottom line: Mike was NEVER BROKE.

Of course, it would have been easier for the Wash Post to just say that up front. Could have saved a few paragraphs...

id anyone catch the point that his assets are at 500 mil and his debt is 300 mil?

If you do the math, 500 - 300 = 200 million and that's not counting the income that will now be made after his death.
thats from the media. his worth hasnt been announced and considering the sony/atv half is worth according to most reports not far off 1 billion that figure imo is rubbish. and last reports we had mj owed somewhere around 100 mill

thing is the media was saying he was $300mil in debt...then when the will was annouced ... they suddenly said it was $500mil to make it match what the estate was noted to be worth when the will was found...

crazy.............

I actually think this is an ok article.... it points out what evidently is still not known by a lot of the general public - that childlike doesn't mean stupid. Michael did a great job in planning for his estate and children, something 2/3 of Americans haven't figured out how to do.

SonyATV is valued at $1.5billion to $2billion

Michael owns half, so he has about $750million to $1billion from his 50% share

Michael's mijac catalogue was last valued in 1999 at $180million, so 10 years later, it is over 200million
Add to that his passing away, and the value increases further

Michael owns part of his ranch, with the other part progressively reverting back to him over the years in a deal with Colony - a sliding scale.

Michael has stocks, shares and other investments

Michael has a debt of 331million

Therefore, 750 million + 200million gives him $950million
and on his Neverland share, stocks, other investments, and it it over $1 billion

But if you go with $1 billion + 200 million gives him $1.2billion
and on the rest and he is around $1.3billion

Take off his debt, and he remains with a value of $1 billion

But now that his estate has added value
- merchandise
- Possible Neverland (Graceland)
- music to be released
- Games
- added value of catalogue

and the value of his estate just goes up.

Also don't forget that his masters revert back to his estate in 2011.
SonyATV catalogue will continue to appreciate in value and expand

Hmmmm, all of a sudden, I'm humming Unbreakable! :wild: :punk:And the Legacy lives on :clap: :dancin:

I miss him so:(

Back