Jackson third on dead rich list

Tom

Proud Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8331440.stm

Pop star Michael Jackson has been placed third in an annual list of top-earning dead celebrities compiled by Forbes magazine.

It said the star's estate had earned $90m (£54m) since his sudden death in June, aged 50.
French designer Yves Saint Laurent, who died last year, topped the list with estimated earnings of $350m (£213m).
In second place were Broadway legends Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein, with $235m (£142m).

Expanding fortune
The songwriting duo penned the music and lyrics to shows including Oklahoma, South Pacific, The King and I, and The Sound of Music.
o.gif

The bulk of Jackson's earnings came from selling the rights to This Is It, a film based on rehearsal footage for what would have been his comeback concerts in London.
Forbes has estimated that this income was bumped up by the sale of about 9 million albums and 5.5 million digital downloads since his death.
At number four was Elvis Presley with $55 million (£33 million).
In fifth place was The Lord of the Rings author JRR Tolkien, whose estate banked an estimated $50 million (£30 million).
But there was no place for Marilyn Monroe, James Dean and Steve McQueen, who have all appeared on previous lists.

1. Yves Saint Laurent - $350m (£213m)
2. Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein - $235m (£142m)
3. Michael Jackson - $90m (£54m)
4. Elvis Presley - $55m (£33m)
5. JRR Tolkien - $50m (£30m)
6. Charles Schulz - $35m (£21m)
7. John Lennon - $15m (£9m)
8. Theodor Geisel $15m (£9m)
9. Albert Einstein - $10m (£6m)
10. Michael Crichton - $9m (£5m)

---

Im not sure if im right in thinking this but I expected Michael to have earned SO MUCH more than that. 90m? With all his album sales, This Is It and his whole estate? Are they underestimating him just like they do with his album certifications?

I never thought I would be reading this so soon in life.

Michael only been dead for 4 months unlike these others. I believe MJ will be #1 later.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8331440.stm

Pop star Michael Jackson has been placed third in an annual list of top-earning dead celebrities compiled by Forbes magazine.

It said the star's estate had earned $90m (£54m) since his sudden death in June, aged 50.
French designer Yves Saint Laurent, who died last year, topped the list with estimated earnings of $350m (£213m).
In second place were Broadway legends Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein, with $235m (£142m).

Expanding fortune
The songwriting duo penned the music and lyrics to shows including Oklahoma, South Pacific, The King and I, and The Sound of Music.
o.gif

The bulk of Jackson's earnings came from selling the rights to This Is It, a film based on rehearsal footage for what would have been his comeback concerts in London.
Forbes has estimated that this income was bumped up by the sale of about 9 million albums and 5.5 million digital downloads since his death.
At number four was Elvis Presley with $55 million (£33 million).
In fifth place was The Lord of the Rings author JRR Tolkien, whose estate banked an estimated $50 million (£30 million).
But there was no place for Marilyn Monroe, James Dean and Steve McQueen, who have all appeared on previous lists.

1. Yves Saint Laurent - $350m (£213m)
2. Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein - $235m (£142m)
3. Michael Jackson - $90m (£54m)
4. Elvis Presley - $55m (£33m)
5. JRR Tolkien - $50m (£30m)
6. Charles Schulz - $35m (£21m)
7. John Lennon - $15m (£9m)
8. Theodor Geisel $15m (£9m)
9. Albert Einstein - $10m (£6m)
10. Michael Crichton - $9m (£5m)

---

Im not sure if im right in thinking this but I expected Michael to have earned SO MUCH more than that. 90m? With all his album sales, This Is It and his whole estate? Are they underestimating him just like they do with his album certifications?

It's been only 4 months. When it hits a year, I think he will break records if this keeps up.

I am still depressed that it has to be this way instead. :cry:

What a bizarre article... it's like they're holding a competition for dead celebrities.

thats whats been earnt this year not what hes worth. so money made from the movie album sales etc. and yes this article is just urghhh.in 5 years time i still wont beable to expect this. someone end this nightmare for me please

Very silly article. They better get something else to write about. Michael Just died 4 mths ago, we are still mourning..'They really don't care about us!!'

LIES , MJ makes 70 $ millions from his share in the SONY/atv alone add the movie , the beatles thing this year, his own sales .....the number is much higher than that .

I never thought I would be reading this so soon in life.

Same :(

What a bizarre article... it's like they're holding a competition for dead celebrities.

Yeah..but there are some people who are all into this kind of thing..and with Michael gone he is obviously going to be top on this list soon enough.

It's been only 4 months. When it hits a year, I think he will break records if this keeps up.

Exactly...It's been four months..all of the others in the top 10 have been gone for decades I believe.

Same :(

Yeah..but there are some people who are all into this kind of thing..and with Michael gone he is obviously going to be top on this list soon enough.

Exactly...It's been four months..all of the others in the top 10 have been gone for decades I believe.

But this is only this year right? And I would have thought they would be HIGHER sooner becuase of their popularity... we will have to see.

But this is only this year right? And I would have thought they would be HIGHER sooner becuase of their popularity... we will have to see.

Well, again it's only been four months since hes gone, to be number three already is amazing. If you look at Elvis for example hes been gone for 32 Years now..and from the time of his death to now they have made EVERYTHING imaginable linked to Elvis. Elvis salt and pepper shakers, Elvis candle holders you name it. I'm pretty sure that 10-15 years from now we might see the same for Michael :O

Back