Jackson 'didn't want validation'

Pascal09

Proud Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/entertainment/newsid_10000000/newsid_10002400/10002474.stm

Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Michael Jackson wasn't planning his live comeback to silence his critics and prove himself, says the man who was masterminding the gigs.

Kenny Ortega said the star didn't have a need for vindication and that Jackson even laughed off the suggestion.

"One afternoon I said to him 'I can't wait until we open in London, we're going to be validated and get your crown back.'

"He just laughed at me... He said 'God bless you Kenny, that's so silly.' He did not get up in the morning and think about vindication."

Ortega insists Jackson was motivated by a need to reconnect with his fans, to share his "ecological concerns" and to show his love of music to his children.

The rehearsals film of the tour is out on 28 October and shows the singer working through his routines for the 50 date residency.

Jackson was putting in three to four hours stage practice each day according to Ortega, who denied crumours the star sometimes had to stop proceedings because he was unfit.

"Never! Never! He's not even breathless. You'll see it in the movie."

Travis Payne, who choreographed the show alongside Ortega, said the routines were set at a level that would allow them to be repeated night after night.

'In control'

"Michael pushed himself appropriately... With a show that was to be so physical for these 50 dates it was very necessary for us to pace the show correctly, so that it was something that could be done many times."

Ortega also said that the singer's skinny appearance was Jackson's own choice and that he was very much in control.

"He was his own man... there was a weight that Michael liked to be at, he liked to eat when he liked to eat...

"We (the show organisers) did want to make sure he was nourished and rested and looked after. But let's give Michael credit, he was in charge of himself."

Jackson's death in June this year has been ruled as a homicide caused by a powerful anaesthetic.

However, the report of the singer's post mortem examination said he was a "fairly healthy" 50-year-old with nothing that would have stopped him from performing.

The rehearsal film, called Michael Jackson's This Is It, is released in cinemas on 28 October for a limited two week run.

Michael Jackson wasn't planning his live comeback to silence his critics and prove himself, says the man who was masterminding the gigs.

Kenny Ortega said the star didn't have a need for vindication and that Jackson even laughed off the suggestion.

"One afternoon I said to him 'I can't wait until we open in London, we're going to be validated and get your crown back.'

"He just laughed at me... He said 'God bless you Kenny, that's so silly.' He did not get up in the morning and think about vindication."

Ortega insists Jackson was motivated by a need to reconnect with his fans, to share his "ecological concerns" and to show his love of music to his children.
Well said, Michael Jackson. :punk:

I always believed mike was doing this for his kids, not money, not for critics but as Ortega said to reconnect with fans.

Yeah I thought this from the very begining aswell. I hope the kids got to see him on stage at rehearsals!

And becuase he was doing this for his kids is why this all hurts so much even more.

Michael knew his talents and gifts and did'nt need any critic to tell him anything!

i don't know what to think anymore (so confused). i'm going to watch TII with an open mind. then i will make my personal judgement. all i know for sure is , is that i would rather know he was on this earth with his kids and happy. i never had tickets for the concerts for what ever reasons but i do believe he could of done it and he would of blown the world away again. his finale was taken away from him .

Hehe @ Mike saying that's so silly. Get his crown back? It never left him. I also wonder if the kids ever got to see the rehearsals or if Daddy Mike wanted it to be a suprise. :(

I'm just so confused right now that I really don't know what to believe.
But that's just so like Michael - to think of his children and fans first and foremost.

IMO, Michael DIDNT have ANYTHING To prove. He did his thing in his own time. The media just wants to pretend that they are high and mighty...but really, They're NOT!:smilerolleyes:

Thankyou for this article...:D

DUDE!!! 8 DAYS TIL' "THIS IS IT" MOVIE!!! I'm SOOOO HYPE Y'all!!!:wild::wild::wild::wild::wild::wild::wild:

Prove himself? who took his place? may I enquire? duh!!!No one and no ONE can change the fact that he is and was The King Of Pop and a huge, giagantic influence on the world. No questions asked!!

prove himself? Who took his place? May i enquire? Duh!!!no one and no one can change the fact that he is and was the king of pop and a huge, giagantic influence on the world. No questions asked!!

h-a-l-l-e-l-u-j-a-h !....h-a-l-l-e-l-u-j-a-h !.....h-a-l-l-e-l-u-j-a-h! .......h-a-l-l-e-l-u-j-a-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !:cheers:

I believe Kenny Ortega on this.

"He was his own man... there was a weight that Michael liked to be at, he liked to eat when he liked to eat...

"We (the show organisers) did want to make sure he was nourished and rested and looked after. But let's give Michael credit, he was in charge of himself."
Oh really?

If MJ held this concert without pressure, how could he be controled like that?

He can`t make some decision at all, even if he wants more rest some time!!

dont like how certain ppl are now trying to cover their own asses. its all starting to smell abit

dont like how certain ppl are now trying to cover their own asses. its all starting to smell abit

That's exactly how I feel. Kenny may well be a good guy with good intentions, but it seems kind of convenient to lump all the responsibility on Michael's shoulders.

I thought I read that they (AEG?) had been trying to convince Michael to make a live 'come-back' for years? Saying that it would help him financially, etc etc??? Not sure what to believe these days.

I thought I read that they (AEG?) had been trying to convince Michael to make a live 'come-back' for years? Saying that it would help him financially, etc etc??? Not sure what to believe these days.
user_offline.gif
yeah they had asked mj at least twice to do the shows and he turned them down. remember the year b4 we had all those rumours about mj doing shows and nothing ever came of it.htey chased him for a while until he agreed

yeah they had asked mj at least twice to do the shows and he turned them down. remember the year b4 we had all those rumours about mj doing shows and nothing ever came of it.htey chased him for a while until he agreed

Thanks, I knew I didn't imagine that. So they probably dangled a few carrots (solving his money problems etc). Of course Michael wanted to sing & perform, it's what he did his whole life, so Kenny is right to say that. But I don't believe Michael would have done it like this, on such a grand scale and with so much pressure, if there hadn't been some enticement from AEG and others. They could easily have encouraged him to perform on a smaller (ie healthier) scale.

I know... it's a constant point of discussion around here and we'll maybe never know the whole truth. I just don't completely trust any of them... even Kenny.

I believe once he got over the initial shock and anger of the 10 shows turning into 50 shows, Michael said: Let's do this. I believe Michael wanted to do the shows not to prove himself- but for his children, and for US, the fans. I believe Michael wanted to connect with us on a higher level.....he wanted us to be his army of love (as we have been for years) and help him make this world a better place. I am CONVINCED that Michael believed that together, we could do this.

It makes me sad to know that Michael was planning all these wonderful things, and never got the chance to realize it because he was m-u-r-d-e-r-e-d.

Ehum, you mean you did want to make sure someone went to his house to pick Michael up when he felt too weak or too tired to come to rehearsal? You mean you told the fans to hush when we questioned his health? You mean you kept on "twittering" about how This is it was YOUR dream coming true and how this was your biggest project as of yet...and how you ignored fans when they asked you if, besides focusing on YOUR dream...someone was focusing on Michael's well being?

Last edited:
That's exactly how I feel. Kenny may well be a good guy with good intentions, but it seems kind of convenient to lump all the responsibility on Michael's shoulders.

But, it was his responsbility. If something went wrong - Michael made sure it was right. If he didn't like something - he'd change it. At the end of the day, these were his shows and he gets the say about everything.

Michael was just so amazing, I can imagine him saying that to Kenny. :wub: Who else in the world thinks like him? Nobody. So precious.

to be honest, i don't remember anyone who didn't think that MJ needed the money, validation and vindication. (before June 25.)

Back