Jackson back on top with best sales week in 14 years!...

Diana Hart

Proud Member
MICHAEL JACKSON is back at the top of the U.S. album charts with the soundtrack to his concert rehearsal film THIS IS IT.
The late King of Pop's 373,000 opening-week sales is the fifth best sales week for an album in the U.S. this year. It's Jackson's best sales week since 1995's HIStory.
It also scores the late superstar 16 number ones in album charts around the world.
The new hits album keeps Creed's comeback album, Full Circle, off the top of the U.S. countdown, while Taylor Swift's Fearless rockets back up the charts to three thanks to a deluxe platinum edition release last week.
Rod Stewart's latest covers album, Soulbook, debuts at four and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra pips Sting to a top five place.
The TSO's Night Castle enters the chart a spot ahead of Sting's holiday album If On A Winter's Night, which tops Billboard's Top Holiday Albums countdown.

It is amazing really, that’s just another greatest hits album with one new song, what if a new album was released! It is very true when he said “You haven’t seen anything yet”

Mixed feelings: happy for Michael's legacy; sad that Sony might be encouraged to release more greatest hits packages with minimal new content.

Mixed feelings: happy for Michael's legacy; sad that Sony might be encouraged to release more greatest hits packages with minimal new content.

Lightning won't strike twice.

I feel like none of this matters because Michael is not here to enjoy his success, the only reason I feel his records are selling sky high at the moment is because he died. The world love dead artists. Im not saying Michael wasnt good enough to sell so much on his own now, it just pisses me off that these numbers are infact due to his death. Whats the point? It just upsets me..

I feel like none of this matters because Michael is not here to enjoy his success, the only reason I feel his records are selling sky high at the moment is because he died. The world love dead artists. Im not saying Michael wasnt good enough to sell so much on his own now, it just pisses me off that these numbers are infact due to his death. Whats the point? It just upsets me..

same here :(

I totally understand. For one, I'm happy for the album success, but at the same time I'm so sad that Michael is not here to see this anymore. :(

Number ones sold 2 week in a row more than 400 000 in the US this year..

Cool but considering these occurrences were during the highest points of grieving and shock for most people, its doesn't negate the astounding number for tii. Especially with number ones and thriller still selling so well on this same billboard chart week.

Only the King Of Pop has fans that continue to purchase and repurchase his amazing work. His true fans are the best.

I do not agree. MJ sold out his O2 tour in minutes. He was heading for a huge resurgence. Yes there are some people who are buying anything MJ because he is died. But I honestly believe his work more than anything is drawing people in. If this was a month after that tragic day I might cosign your opionion but we are going into his 5th month of passing. There is definitely more to this than the normal interest of a star passing away.

I am sad that he is not here to enjoy what he started in March but I am smiling in the thought that his beautiful children will never need to beg bread.

I understand how you feel. I know a lot of the sales are due to the fact that he passed away. But, I think if Michael had lived to do the O2 concerts, he would have seen album sales sky rocket. It was evident by the record breaking ticket sales for the O2 shows that the world really wanted Michael back front and center. And the shows would have been incredible and would have gotten people thinking about his talent and how much they loved his music. His passing helped people cut through the tabloid crap and think about his music again, I think if he had done the O2 shows, that would have done the same thing. Just my opinion, of course.

I understand how you feel. I know a lot of the sales are due to the fact that he passed away. But, I think if Michael had lived to do the O2 concerts, he would have seen album sales sky rocket. It was evident by the record breaking ticket sales for the O2 shows that the world really wanted Michael back front and center. And the shows would have been incredible and would have gotten people thinking about his talent and how much they loved his music. His passing helped people cut through the tabloid crap and think about his music again, I think if he had done the O2 shows, that would have done the same thing. Just my opinion, of course.

I agree thats how i believe too

I completely understand what you guys mean, I know the sales would have skyrocketed even if Michael was alive because his comeback would have been spectacular.. But I can feel no joy about the sales after his death, I feel like everything is pointless. We all knew Michael was the greatest, but did he know that himself? He is not here, so we cant tell him how much he means to us. This is whats upsetting.

Number ones sold 2 week in a row more than 400 000 in the US this year..

Number Ones sold 339,000 copies the second week of MJ's death and 349,000 copies the third week of his death. This Is It sold 373,000 copies so that's more than Number Ones.

If that TII tour happened, Michael would be even bigger than now… I really believe that.

If that TII tour happened, Michael would be even bigger than now… I really believe that.

Yes I agree I am trying to feel positive about this all as I can I have to believe that Michaels light is shining within us all. no matter how freaking much it hurts that he is not on earth but in our hearts.

I am happy that he is doing good the concerts would of been a blast and MJ was sell out before his death.

Well to be fair, none of the other dead celebrities were this successful after they died.

Ad I remember when y grandma died. We all went to a funeral for her. We all talked about her.

Why because she died. That's what happens when people die. People want to remember them. Yeah part of it is a trend, but it's mostly people who want to remember him. Even most this is it tickets went to people 26 and above. Those aren't young teens who get caught up in trends. Those are people with an emotional connection.

I agree and this saddens me, what a loss. Michael could of been here enjoying the amount of success he has achieved in death which I truly believe would of been on the same scale because his comeback was to be the greatest in history! The movie proved this.

We all knew Michael was the greatest, but did he know that himself? He is not here, so we cant tell him how much he means to us. This is whats upsetting.

OMG.... :-(
Painfully good point.....

I try to think of it like this:
If people start now to listen to his music, and become qurious about the man behind the media myth- then some good things will come of this. I think that Michael has this ability, in what he has left the world with in his work, his stories, his speeches, his visions- that as soon as people start seeing all this- they will be inspired. Its part of the reason why he has sutch a huge and diverse fanbase. Its not just about the artist- its about the man and his philosophy of life and what really matters.

If Michael was alive, doing the concerts- witch would have been a huge success, and presenting new music- his albums would have been flying off the shelfs in the stores as well. If you have seen the movie, its pretty clear that the concerts would have not been anything like anything any artist of today could have pulled off.

I think that what happens now is what happens when people once again are reminded of what he really was- a great artist, a pioneer and an icon in the music world. Hopefully- people will also discover the rest.

I get sad too, because i would have loved him to see how mutch he was loved by the general public. But in a way- he knew as the concerts sold out like they did.

The media doesnt report it much ya?
If it's other white artists, the media would be making a BIG deal out of their little success.

I completely understand what you guys mean, I know the sales would have skyrocketed even if Michael was alive because his comeback would have been spectacular.. But I can feel no joy about the sales after his death, I feel like everything is pointless. We all knew Michael was the greatest, but did he know that himself? He is not here, so we cant tell him how much he means to us. This is whats upsetting.

I'm taking comfort in his children will know. Folks are incredibly cruel. I have no doubt his children will hear people call their dad names or call them names for being his children. They'll at least know those baboons are in the minority and can look at the effect he had on so many that they still were paying for a whole album months after his death when it only contained one new song. Their dad meant that much to so many. Maybe those thoughts will get them through the rough times they'll have to endure.

I too know what you mean, he is not here too enjoy it and realize that he was still admired and loved. I also believe, had he lived, that show would of been super successful, he really was taking it to another level. Many people were traveling to see the first show in London...it would of been spectacular MJ style. It's all rather sad because we know he still had it and he had so many ideas for the future.

I tease with my sister and say he was like ET he went home....and maybe he will be back in that rocket oufit he wore for SCREAM on stage...LOL!! I miss him dearly, it's still hard to believe he is not here.

Back