Is "XSCAPE" really "XSCAPE" or is it "ESCAPE"?

coffre

Proud Member
Is "XSCAPE" really "XSCAPE"? Or is it "ESCAPE"?

CMRRA Song #: 1002056
Song Title: XSCAPE
Wirter(s): JACKSON, MICHAEL JOE
Publisher(s): MIJAC MUSIC
source:cmrra.ca

ESCAPE WORK ID: 350304753
Writers
DANIELS LASHAWN AMEEN
JERKINS III FRED
JERKINS RODNEY
MASON HARVEY JAY

Performers
MICHAEL JACKSON
source: ascap.com

this reminds me of "I Never Heard" vs "This Is It"

Is "XSCAPE" really "XSCAPE"? Or is it "ESCAPE"?

I've just noticed that MJ had registered a song titled "XSCAPE" which is solely credited to him

source:cmrra.ca

And there's a song titled "ESCAPE"

source: ascap.com

could be two song's, who knows? information could be incorrect but anything is possible of course.

wow, you just discovered America again. couldn't you ask this in the official discussion thread? it was discussed often. R. Jerkins confirmed its "X".

wow, you just discovered America again. couldn't you ask this in the official discussion thread? it was discussed often. R. Jerkins confirmed its "X".

I know that RJ has confirmed it, but I also remember what Teddy Riley had told regarding MICHAEL back in 2010.

I'm skeptical right now. MJ once worte a song which had the following line Money / Money / Lie for it

Xspace perfectly suits Xperia as This Is It[the song title]perfectly suited This Is It[the never happened concerts]

edit:

In the early 2000s there was on Rodney Jerkins' website (darkchild.com) a list of songs on which he had worked on with MJ during the Invincible sessions. Among the listed songs was "Escape". As far as I can recall it was written with an "E".

Last edited:
No matter - now it's Xscape...

The song is the same MJ sings the same, you can't hear Any difference. So e or X? Does it really matter? I like Xscape - and now that's the official title.

Looks great on the cover too!! :)

It was Xscape way before it was Xperia related. Maybe it was Escape, maybe not - who knows? but I doubt they changed the name just because of this phone. It's not even the song that was used in the commercial

I always thought (and heard) that Xscape was just a fan spelling, but if it's officially Xscape now, then that's how it's officially spelled.

I know that RJ has confirmed it, but I also remember what Teddy Riley had told regarding MICHAEL back in 2010.

That's not even remotely fair. Teddy Riley lied about vocals. This is involving a song title.

however there must be 2 different songs existing. One solely penned by MJ and another one without MJ.

The demo I've had since I first downloaded this track is labeled "Escape"... I thought Xscape was an alternate title. I guess the album producers just picked up the one that sounded better.

I also heard (years ago) that the X was added by whoever leaked it first. But the X makes it catchy... so as the Estate was probably aware of the leak, it's possible that they (in their momentary "listen-to-the-fans"-mode) simply liked the X too and used it.

It's also possible that it first was Escape (and registered as Escape) and during the development of the song Michael himself changed it to Xscape... leaving us all confused. :)

Last edited:
When it was leaked, fans called it Xscape. That's how it was titled in 2003 in the mp3 leak.

Michael had called it Escape, but that's not what it got known as. I think Sony wanted to keep it the same, because people had known it as that title.

IMO the most important thing is the result, if the idea of “X” brings CD more attention and style then why not? And why not with Xperia … the product is sure not cheap or unknown.
I would say this deal is good marketing for both.

Since I’ve downloaded this song I didn’t rename it and it goes like “Xscape”. IDK if it was official or not but it already was that way back in 2003 or something like that. Long before Xperia anyway.

Honestly, even if fans accidentally named it that way I see nothing bad in leaving it so.
We can say that it is inconscient Fans input into the album then ;-)

I always thought (and heard) that Xscape was just a fan spelling, but if it's officially Xscape now, then that's how it's officially spelled.
I can't follow you at all... it doesn't matter then how Michael wanted the song to be named?

BTW, where did Michael say it's called "Escape"??

It was always Xscape. Rodney Jerkins confirmed it.

Xscape it what i know it by too. The dvd that have Michael's Hits say Xscape also.

When it was leaked, fans called it Xscape. That's how it was titled in 2003 in the mp3 leak.

Michael had called it Escape, but that's not what it got known as. I think Sony wanted to keep it the same, because people had known it as that title.

This is how I remember it, it was escape and named 'Xscape' by fans as an affectionate term when it leaked which just stuck. Pretty cool really.

Can anybody remember the statement that Michael made about this track leaking? I can't find it anywhere and I'm almost certain it was a video statement. My memory is hazy on this and weird that I can't find any reference to it. Does anyone remember it?

On the cover of the CD it clearly says Xscape - so thats the name... - That's how to spell it.

Problem solved

On the cover of the CD it clearly says Xscape - so thats the name... - That's how to spell it.

Problem solved

...People know that. They are asking whether that has always been it's officially called 'Xscape' while he was alive - not on a posthumous release which clearly reads 'xscape' on the cover.

...People know that. They are asking whether that has always been it's officially called 'Xscape' while he was alive - not on a posthumous release which clearly reads 'xscape' on the cover.

Rodney has also sais it was always Xscape.

So it has never been Escape...

Can anybody remember the statement that Michael made about this track leaking? I can't find it anywhere and I'm almost certain it was a video statement. My memory is hazy on this and weird that I can't find any reference to it. Does anyone remember it?

I'm looking...not successful, yet. :D

Rodney has also sais it was always Xscape.

So it has never been Escape...

Im not implying it has been ever called 'escape'. I'm saying that the cover of a posthumous album is not evidence to suggest it has always been called 'xscape'.

Back