Is Thriller #1 ?

ADKIc3mAnX

Proud Member
I've been hearing that Thriller lost the title for the best selling album of all time is this true ?

Cause last time I check it had 110M+ sales some claim that Eagles: Their Greatest Hits has surpassed Thriller even though they only have 29M

I've been hearing that Thriller lost the title for the best selling album of all time is this true ?

Cause last time I check it had 110M+ sales some claim that Eagles: Their Greatest Hits has surpassed Thriller even though they only have 29M

No, Thriller is by far the best-selling album of all time. The Eagles: Greatest Hits was the best-selling album in the US for a while, but I am quite sure Michael took back that title after his death.

I don't think Thriller lost that title. However, Thriller sold that much worldwide, not just in the US. That number that the Eagles sold is supposed to be just their US figures.

Thriller is the best selling album of all time. But anyone who believes the 100million+ figure is deluding themselves. That would mean that Thriller almost doubled it's sales in in the space of a few years without entering (never mind topping) the charts anywhere!

I think Guinness World Records must be referring to album + single sales (and maybe home video sales) with the 104 million figure they came out with. Just a year earlier Thriller had sold 62 million copies. It would have topped charts the world over had it sold another 40 million. It's still far and away the best selling though.

Thriller is the best selling album of all time. But anyone who believes the 100million+ figure is deluding themselves. That would mean that Thriller almost doubled it's sales in in the space of a few years without entering (never mind topping) the charts anywhere!

I think Guinness World Records must be referring to album + single sales (and maybe home video sales) with the 104 million figure they came out with. Just a year earlier Thriller had sold 62 million copies. It would have topped charts the world over had it sold another 40 million. It's still far and away the best selling though.

I was gonna say that, lol. The 100+ million figure is as reliable as Elvis selling 1 billion records. It's impossible. I would say the album sales for Thriller are currently somewhere between 60-70 million worldwide, which is still an incredible number. I can't imagine anyone ever beating this record.

Thriller had sold 69 MIL physical copies by 2010. Thriller had sold 110 MIL physical + digital units (albums and singles) by 2010. Videos are not included. That was official numbers from Sony in 2010. Eagles: Greatest Hits had sold around 42 MIL worldwide. As of November 2009, 29 million copies have been shipped in the domestic market, making it tied with Michael Jackson's Thriller as the best-selling album in the United States. Michael Jackson's Thriller is the only other album certified 29× Multi Platinum.

OnirMJ;3386855 said:
Thriller had sold 69 MIL physical copies by 2010. Thriller had sold 110 MIL physical + digital units (albums and singles) by 2010. Videos are not included. That was official numbers from Sony in 2010. Eagles: Greatest Hits had sold around 42 MIL worldwide. As of November 2009, 29 million copies have been shipped in the domestic market, making it tied with Michael Jackson's Thriller as the best-selling album in the United States. Michael Jackson's Thriller is the only other album certified 29× Multi Platinum.

Those numbers could be correct (although I'm always careful to trust numbers published by record labels as they have an invested interest to inflate their artist's sales).

If I recall correctly, The Eagles Greatest Hits had overtaken Thriller for best-selling album in the US for a while, but Michael regained the record after his death when Thriller sold around 10 million copies worldwide (not sure how much of it was in the US, but enough to earn more platinum certifications). Right? :unsure:

Where did you get the 42 million figure for the Eagles from btw? Cause I find that very hard to believe. It could be correct of course but I'm surprised it's that much, as I wouldn't think they're that popular in the rest of the world.

Thriller is still by far the best selling album of all time and with illegal downloading becoming ever so popular, it is very unlikely that that record will ever break.

^^^^^^

No problem dude
basicsmile.gif

StrangerInLondon;3387031 said:
Thriller is still by far the best selling album of all time and with illegal downloading becoming ever so popular, it is very unlikely that that record will ever break.

Idd :yes:

Truth is the phonographic industry went down since 1999 because most people didn’t buy CD’s anymore. Since the bomb of the internet, the piracy climbed another level.

That’s why I’m not surprised about the sales of Invincible (13 millions?) in 2001/2002 especially because it had so little promotion (zero promotion really, after YRMW and Cry shorts) back then and MJ had lots of problems with his own record company.

It will never get surpassed, sales are not the same anymore, now when people are buying digital and stuff like that.

Back