Is there too much pressure on young people to "Look perfect"

• Yes

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Thriller_MJ

Proud Member
Me and my friend Jade were having a interesting conversation last night about people looking perfect with there slim bodys and fantastic abs and stuff, and we both came to an agreement that there is too much pressure from the media,music & film all of which promote healthy people with fantastic bodys e.t.c.

What do you think?

Of course there is . Where in hell you can see a normal - looking person in a commercial ?! They are all so beautifull and thin with such a great hair and everything. Women in their 40"s and 50"s looking like they are 20.
I am not against trying too look your best and taking good care but this is crazy.
Media...what more can I say.

It's a crazy world we live in. Size 0 is everywhere. Yet we also have a obesity crisis. I think magazines cause alot of the problems. They are all airbrushed. isnce I stopped buying so many my pocket is heavier and I feel a bit be better about myself.

Parents should tell their children it's unrealistic to look like that, not even the people themselves look like that naturally what with airbrushing, plastic surgery, etc.

The simple answer is: Yes.

I've had problems a while back and I still do. I went through a lot with my eating and exercising. It was extreme. I won't go into detail because I don't want to go back to that. I wanted to look "perfect" and that's the word I always used. I was angry that I didn't look like celebrities, models, and the women in magazines. I know it's not realistic and I've been coping better with it all now, but back then I was very young, I am 16 now. I am not fat (I know that now) but I am not a stick either. Plus, the word "fat" is just being thrown around just like the word "love." I've seen girls get called fat when they couldn't have been anymore than 115lbs.

That's all I am saying.

Of course there is. Its sad.. I went in schools to do research as part of my psychology degree and it was sad. Kids as young as 8 yrs old were concerned about what they looked like and had negative body image. There are thousands of studies on this and some have found girls as young as 4 and 6 have expressed dissatisfaction with their bodies. 4 and 6! :no:

I didn't pay any thought to what I looked like at that age.. and I didn't wear any make up ever until I was 16.. it didn't even cross my mind, nobody else did either really..there were maybe 3 girls in my year who wore make up, thats all. I was happy and I had a great school life.

Parents should tell their children it's unrealistic to look like that, not even the people themselves look like that naturally what with airbrushing, plastic surgery, etc.

True. Its important that parents do that.

I think its important to be healthy but sometimes there is tooooo much about that everywhere when it gets to the point that a 6 year old feels they have to refuse to have a bag of crisps or an ice cream because 'its bad' and they'll 'get fat'.

yeah i think the media does give kids the same idea, when i was younger i used to feel ugly and became shy b/c i didn't feel i like other girls on tv then i opened up to my parents and i moved passed that staged, you/ve missed out on the beautiful view of life if you worry about what others think of you

I'm not what you what call perfect but i agree with the comments made, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Just look at women's magazines and magazines about fashion: perfect beauty. Most women look at a picture of a model in magazines and think: I wanted to be like her or I wanted to have the body like hers. Fact.

There is no perfect beauty and nobody in this world is perfect and all people are made of good and bad qualities. What happens is that people do not accept as they are and give a great importance to the exterior (body and beauty). I always say that the body ages, the body changes... but the most important is within us and that's what really matters.

The important thing is to take care of the body (and especially the mind) to have a healthy life, we'll never be perfect. Fact. And.... If love and be happy.

Yes there is. Its so hard growing up, its certainly not an age that I want to repeat. You are constantly seeing these magazines and told this is perfect. When I was growing up being skinny, blonde and blue eyes was what was perfect and I felt so inadequate as I have brown hair, brown eyes, and olivey skin. Plus I had spots and still had baby fat-it was an awful time. I was so shy growing up. As I got older I lost weight, grew out of spots, I learnt to love my figure and looks. I'm still not completely happy with what I see but I've learnt to love myself. Its so hard for girls and someone needs to put it straight that being a size 0 is not attractive whatsoever.

Yes, I think there is way too much empasis on how one looks. Growing up I don't ever remember looking at myself or someone else one way or the other weightwise, beautywise, etc.. I do remember seeing people with port wine stains over half of their faces, and I was curious, but never negatively affected by it.

Now if someone were a bully, ill mannered, or something of that ilk, that was different sometimes. Those of different religious or ethnic upbringing, physical handicaps, weight, clothing, etc., didn't seem to affect the interactions that I saw with others in school. Maybe I was lucky enough to grow up in an area that included all races/religions and economic levels, and that meant integration from an early age on, with people that may not have looked/dressed/eaten like others sometimes for whatever reason.

It almost seems like a cliche, but as each generation comes along, while tolerance is being preached, anything outside of the "norm" weightwise, dress wise, etc., appears to further isolate and cause a "stigma" for those involved. Seems like we're going backwards in many areas instead of being more enlightened, open, and accepting of the differences around us. Loving and respecting a person for reasons other than the clothes they wear, their weight, etc. :(

What should be promoted is not perfect looks but a healthy lifestyle. Eating healthy food, working out etc is good for you not just because it makes you more fit and beautiful but because it helps you avoid many health problems.

It's not just "young" people who have this pressure projected on them; it's on everyone. The obsession that magazines & newspapers have on airbrushing is proof of this. Alesha Dixon did a documentary on airbrushing & she showed how unnecessary it was & how there is resistance to stopping it even though it is having a negative effect on people. It seems that people gravitated slightly more towards the airbrushed pictures but the natural ones of her looked good & people said that.

First of all 'Nobody's Perfect'
You don't have to be REALLY skinny or change your look just to look good
Beauty isn't about your weight , look Etc-
it's about who you truly are !
just look at any Women's magazine , they all like size 0
you don't have to be like them , you don't have to be a skeleton to look beautiful ,
we ALL are beautiful in are own ways , We're Tall , We're short , We're skinny , We're Curvy.
The point is : we're all wonderful just the way we are.

& for women : being size 0 isn't beautiful whatsoever
when i was younger , when i was a little kid , like maybe 7 years old
i've always had weight problems i was slightly overweight
& i've always compared myself to the models , i was really angry & sad ''why am i SO ugly , why am i so fat!!'' that's what i used to say....
but now as i grow i've lost alot of weight , & i mean it , alot
now i have a great body , i like my body , i know i'm beautiful & i know i'm hot.
you have to realize that you're beautiful so you can see your beauty.

They have no right and no business to pressure them to be perfect. They have to be who they are.

Back