Is there anybody who doesn't like MJ related artists but prefer rock/alternative music?

lotrmj

Proud Member
Hi, I see many of you listen to Prince, Chris Brown, Usher, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Abba, Beyonce... and other quite cheesy stuff...
And I am curious are there many of you who listen to Michael Jackson but far more prefer rock bands than these pop acts? I mean I like listening to Phil Collins, Scorpions, Journey, AC/DC and list goes heavier... and reaches power metal/symphonic metal... or doom metal in more extreme cases :) Do I have some musical brothers here? :unsure:

Last edited:
Regarding pop music I like just and only MJ. Other than that I actually dislike that genre.
I like Queen, Depeche Mode, Coldplay, Sisters Of Mercy.

I don't listen any other pop artist than Michael. :D Of course I listen mostly Michael's music but I like to listen heavy and metal music. I listen bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica and Nightwish.

I actually always hated the whole pop genre but for some reason fell in love with MJ as a kid (I mean, how couldn't I?) but yeah, other than MJ I pretty much dislike everything that's pop/hip-hop/rnb/dance/disco/etc. related.

I'm personally more of a ACDC, Metallica, Queen, Guns 'N Roses, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Who, etc. kind of guy. :lol:

Live rock 'n roll ftw! :punk:

[youtube]xWCQ8CAKNtY[/youtube]

Last edited:
Michael Jackson is the only pop artist I take seriously. Sure, I have some pop songs on my iPod, but I don't respect the genre overall. They're there mostly because they're fun to do exercise to.

Artists/bands I do appreciate for their talent and merit:

-Emilie Autumn
-Placebo
-Lacrimosa
-Within Temptation
-Lacuna Coil
-Evanescence
-Nightwish [w/Tarja]
-Rammstein

Except Michael's music (which, I think, can't be placed strictly in the "Pop" category anyway), I love listening from indie rock or alternative rock (Muse, Travis) to heavy metal (Metallica) and industrial metal (Rammstein). And, of course, Queen is as well one of my favs.

Other than MJ, I listen to Paramore, 30 Seconds to Mars, Queen, Def Leppard, stuff like that so yeah rock/alternative.

Hi, I see many of you listen to Prince, Chris Brown, Usher, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Abba, Beyonce... and other quite cheesy stuff...
And I am curious are there many of you who listen to Michael Jackson but far more prefer rock bands than these pop acts? I mean I like listening to Phil Collins, Scorpions, Journey, AC/DC and list goes heavier... and reaches power metal/symphonic metal... or doom metal in more extreme cases :) Do I have some musical brothers here? :unsure:

Prince is no more pop than Phil Collins, IMO. I like them both BTW. I do not really categorize music by genre. I like a lot of stuff in and outside of pop.

Queen is a big favourite of mine. I like some Nine Inch Nails too, but I have to be in the mood for that. I like Guns 'N' Roses. Some Metallica. Some Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc. But the artists from whom I like everything are Michael, Queen, Prince and Sade.

I like people like AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Queen, Korn, Slipnot, bits and pieces of other same genre bands but I also delve into a little bit of J-Rock:

Maximum The Hormone

Miyavi
miyavi-5.png

The Gazette
Gazette01.jpg

Prince= cheesy pop? No. Perhaps for 1 album in the 90's, but never even for an entire album could I say Prince was ever a cheesy pop act. His material is more funk, soul, r&b and new-wave based. Even rock based. The man is one of the most versatile musicians on the planet, and I don't mean he dabbles in various instruments, he's incredibly accomplished on over 20 variations of Guitar, Bass, Organs, Synths, Percussion etc. He's one of the best guitar players in the world period. Not to mention the 'produced arranged composed and performed by prince' tag!

I wanted to post some videos of Prince performing but the server wont work. Check out Princes awesome solo for While My Guitar Gentley Weeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY

He's one of the best guitar players in the world period.

LOL.

Angus Young, Kirk Hammett, Brian May, Dave Mustaine, Eddie Van Halen, Carlos Santana, Albert King, Slash, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page... nuff said!

Prince doesn't come close to any of these guys and clearly isn't worth mentioning in any 'top X guitar players', for the obvious reason which is him being an 'okay-ish' guitar player but certainly not a great one, period.

A talented and charismatic musician? Sure. A versatile musician who writes, produces and arranges his own (decent) material? Probably.

One of the best guitar players in the world? Hell no.

You don't like Prince very much T.N.A, do you? Ha!

Yip. One of the greatest guitar players ever in my opinion and in the opinion of many musician's.

I stopped reading 'X guitar players and best entertainer lists when I was a teenager. Personally I don't need the opinion of a critic/person that wished they were a succesful musician themselves tell me who's good and what I should like.

Maybe you should actually listen to Prince's guitar performances before making a judgment call on him. I know you don't like him personally so perhaps your a little bit biassed and a little bit dismissive towards him?

From your list I like Eddie Van Halen, Carlos Santana and Jimi Hendrix. Personally ACDC annoye me although I do love Back in Black if I'm in the mood and have a 3-dvd live boxset somwhere.

I love the Queen material with Freddie Mercury, and haven't really heard Brian May's solo stuff.

I liked Kirk Hammett's playing on The Black album when it came out, but I'm not into metal, but He's a great guitar player.
Prince, one of the best guitar players in the world? Hell yeah.

If your into the guitar you should check Prince out. He is an awesome player and playes with incredible emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7-nopqtoE4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2tSGxGnJQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo8eft6CEKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMjB6S45-cI

I could post hundreds of examples but they probably won't be looked at here anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped reading 'X guitar players and best entertainer lists when I was a teenager.
Those lists mostly only have rock players. They never have a country guitar player like Roy Clark or a jazz one like George Benson & Django Reinhardt. No funk/R&B like Ernie Isley, Jesse Johnson, and Eddie Hazel or bossa nova like Baden Powell.

Those lists mostly only have rock players. They never have a country guitar player like Roy Clark or a jazz one like George Benson & Django Reinhardt. No funk/R&B like Ernie Isley, Jesse Johnson, and Eddie Hazel or bossa nova like Baden Powell.

Yip! One of the main reasons I NEVER-EVER-EVER look at these incredibly dull, unimaginative and very predictable lists! None of the funk, jazz or r&b guys ever get their dues or respect. Before you look at such a list, you already pretty much know what the top-ten is gonna be. When did people stop using their own minds and taste and imaginations?

Anyone know how to post youtube videos?

You don't like Prince very much T.N.A, do you? Ha!

Yip. One of the greatest guitar players ever in my opinion and in the opinion of many musician's.

I stopped reading 'X guitar players and best entertainer lists when I was a teenager. Personally I don't need the opinion of a critic/person that wished they were a succesful musician themselves tell me who's good and what I should like.

Maybe you should actually listen to Prince's guitar performances before making a judgment call on him. I know you don't like him personally so perhaps your a little bit biassed and a little bit dismissive towards him?

From your list I like Eddie Van Halen, Carlos Santana and Jimi Hendrix. Personally ACDC annoye me although I do love Back in Black if I'm in the mood and have a 3-dvd live boxset somwhere.

I love the Queen material with Freddie Mercury, and haven't really heard Brian May's solo stuff.

I liked Kirk Hammett's playing on The Black album when it came out, but I'm not into metal, but He's a great guitar player.
Prince, one of the best guitar players in the world? Hell yeah.

If your into the guitar you should check Prince out. He is an awesome player and playes with incredible emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7-nopqtoE4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2tSGxGnJQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo8eft6CEKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMjB6S45-cI

I could post hundreds of examples but they probably won't be looked at here anyways.

I didn't say Prince wasn't a good guitar player, all I said is that he's not up to the level of at least half of the people I mentioned. Of course, that's just my opinion.

And yeah, I'm not really a huge Prince fan. I don't necessarily dislike him and certainly don't think he's anything less than a very talented musician, songwriter and producer. But...

One of the best guitarists in the world? I completely disagree.

Buy hey, I respect your opinion and whatnot so it's cool.

Last edited:
http://www.spin.com/#articles/spins-100-greatest-guitarists-all-time?page=9

http://www.the-top-tens.com/items/prince-3820.asp

One of the best guitarists in the world? I completely disagree.

And I completely disagree with a few of your choices, but thats the point isin't it? It's subjective. I can't be arssed getting into the Why's & What for's but the quote below pretty much somes up my feelings about Prince as a guitar player. Clapton is mentioned in this, but personally I think he's overrated and a bit boring....I agree with their point that you have to see Prince live to really appreciate the mans talent.

Quote"You have to give it to this guy. Very underrated as a guitar player, it's a shame his public image over-shadows the incredible talent this man possesses. Dig a little, check this guy's guitar playing, a little bit of Santana, a lil' bit of Hendrix, with his own stamp on it! Could play any style with anyone and still come out on top! You should also hear this guy play piano too!

The most underrated guitarist in our history. He is the perfect all-round player! From hardrock to pop and blues to jazz, he created his own style that is absolutely unique. Ask Clapton (one of his favourite player) ; Santana and Miles Davis. You must see him live on stage to feel his vibrations and his guitar skills. He played everything he wants to!

Prince's guitar playing never seems to come across that well in his production / mixing but see him play that thing live and you can sure enough tell he is it - check out the guitar solo at the 2004 Hall of Fame all star performance of While my guitar gently weeps."

A few of my favourites in no particular order:

Carlos Santana
Steve vai
George Benson
Chuck Berry
Eddie van halen
Prince
BB king
Randy Rhodes
Jimmy Hendrix
Rory Gallagher
Jeff Beck

Anyways...I've made my point so we'll park it there. I also respect your opinion and it's all good man!

My favourite artist aside from Michael, the loveliest Emilie Autumn. ? Singer, songwriter, poet, violinist, harpsichordist, intellectual, author, artist, genius. She sort of reminds me of Michael in a way, they do have certain similarities aside from being all-around amazing. They both love animals, for example. Emilie especially loves rats, and I do think of her whenever I hear "Ben."

I'm into a lot of stuff, alternative among the genres I listen to regularly.
Radiohead is my favorite band but I don't think they are "alternative". Then I listen to Stone Temple Pilots, Foo Fighters, Muse, Red Hot, etc. Bands from the 90s mostly.

I like a little bit of hard rock too but only a little :p

MJ is pretty much my only only pop idol. I fell in love with him as a kid.

I love Guns N' Roses, they're probably my favorite band. I also really love Hole though (Courtney Love's band for those who don't know) Alice In Chains, Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots are some other bands I like. Lately I've been listening to Rolling Stones a lot.

When I was younger I used to listen to Marilyn Manson a lot too.

When I was in my early 20s, I played guitar in a blackmetal band... so yes, I like Rock. And Metal :punk:

Some of the more well-known rock/metal acts that I love are Dio, Alice Cooper, King Diamond, Ghost, Judas Priest, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Alestorm, Marilyn Manson, Rammstein...

But really, I like ALL kinds of music. As a musician though, I find metal to be more challenging, and therefore more fun to play. There are few things I find more satisfying than finally mastering a difficult riff and go "yeeaahh, I made that noise!" :D

Back