Is South African Women's Gold Medalist Runner Really a Man?

Agent M

Proud Member
article-1207653-0613853E000005DC-23.jpg

A female runner accused of being a man tonight took gold in the 800m World Athletics Championship.

South African Caster Semenya, 18, had to take a gender test after doubts were raised about her sex.

But despite the furore, she easily took gold in the final in Berlin.

The teenage sensation has sparked controversy over her strikingly muscular physique.

Today officials at the world athletics body, the IAAF, revealed that it ordered her to take a gender test three weeks ago.

IAAF spokesman Nick Davies confirmed the tests were taking place, though he said the results would not be confirmed for several weeks.

Until the results are confirmed, there was nothing to prevent Semenya from competing in tonight's final, he said.

He added: 'At this moment in time we do not have any evidence to stop her running.'

South African athletics chiefs furiously denied the claims and stated Semenya was definitely female.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ender-test-hours-World-Championship-race.html

Oh I just saw when she (he?) got her medal.. She definitely looks very much like male. :unsure:

Aaaw, but if she really is a female then I feel sorry for her :(

Seriously, I agree with swirly! That would suck if oh girl was really a girl!

She does look a little suspect, but even so, she could be female

Swirly didn't mean it like that. I feel sorry for her too if she is a girl - because of everyone calling her a man! She's 18 years old for goodness sake, not very good for the self esteem. Shes now undergoing all sorts of tests - chromosomes and everything to see if she is male/female/both.

Her voice/looks/body/run are suspicious but IAAF should not have handled it like this. It should have been kept private. It so damaging. Poor girl.

Why? It's a race, not a beauty pageant.

Swirly didn't mean it like that. I feel sorry for her too if she is a girl - because of everyone calling her a man! She's 18 years old for goodness sake, not very good for the self esteem. Shes now undergoing all sorts of tests - chromosomes and everything to see if she is male/female/both.

I agree. My first thought was if she really is female, this must make her feel horrible.

She does look masculine though. But she could really be female.

Her voice/looks/body/run are suspicious but IAAF should not have handled it like this. It should have been kept private. It so damaging. Poor girl.

I agree with you. I feel bad for her. :( She does look rather manly, if she's female it's gotta be upsetting. I just hope people leave her alone about it until the results, then after.

Completely agree, should have been kept private and hushed..poor thing

New twist in Semenya gender saga:

Tests have revealed Caster Semenya's testosterone level to be three times higher than those normally expected in a female sample, BBC Sport understands.

Analysis prior to the World Athletics Championships and the 18-year-old's big improvement prompted calls for a gender test from the sport's governing body.

It was made public only hours before the South African, who has been backed by her nation, won the 800m in Berlin.

A high level of the hormone does not always equate to a failed drugs test.

But the news will only increase speculation surrounding Semenya, who arrived back in South Africa to a rapturous welcome on Tuesday.

Hundreds turned out in Johannesburg to greet the teenager, who has stunned the athletics world with her performances this season.

She ran a time of one minute, 56.72 seconds in Bambous in July to smash her previous personal best by more than seven seconds.

She also broke Zola Budd's long-standing South African record and arrived at the World Championships as the newly crowned African junior champion.

Then in Berlin she left her rivals trailing to win gold in a time of 1:55.45.

Defending champion Janeth Jepkosgei was second, a massive 2.45 seconds adrift, with Britain's Jenny Meadows taking the bronze medal.

Only hours before the race, it leaked out that the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) had demanded Semenya take a gender test amid fears she should not be allowed to run as a woman.

It has since emerged that news of the test only became public knowledge because a fax was sent to the wrong person.

It has also been revealed that following the findings of initial tests, the South Africans were asked by the IAAF to withdraw her from the team at the World Championships.

Since then, both her family and South African athletics chiefs have leapt to her defence, insisting she is 100% female.

"Caster is a girl. I am not worried about that too much," said her uncle on her arrival back in South Africa.

"Caster is like my child. I know where she comes from. For myself, I know Caster is a girl."

Leonard Chuene, president of Athletics South Africa (ASA), has resigned from his seat on the IAAF board to protest the organisation's treatment of Semenya.

"It will not be fair for me to attack the IAAF as a council member and representative of South Africa," Chuene told BBC's Newshour programme. "It is a conflict of interest.

Chuene also asked that the issue be laid to rest.

"We have not once, as ASA, doubted her," he said "It's very simple: She's a girl.

"We took this child to Poland to the junior championship under the IAAF. Why was there no story about it? She was accepted there.

"No-one said anything there because she did not do anything special. She is the same girl."

Testosterone levels can vary widely, which makes it hard to detect possible infractions.

When analysis shows an athlete to have a raised level, they are monitored at regular intervals over a set period to establish what their underlying levels would be.

That is then used as a marker for the future, so any sharp differences immediately stand out as suspicious.

An analysis of Semenya's testosterone levels was carried out in South Africa and it is understood that this information contributed to the IAAF's decision to request the ASA carry out a detailed "gender verification" test on the athlete.

Those medical tests are said to be ongoing, with the results not expected for several weeks.

On Sunday, IAAF president Lamine Diack admitted the affair could have been treated with more sensitivity.

"It should not even have become an issue if the confidentiality had been respected," he said. "There was a leak of confidentiality at some point and this lead to some insensitive reactions."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8219937.stm

I sure think "it" looks like a man and talks like a man. But who knows. I also think it's suspicious that "it" is always wearing pants and even when though the pants are very tight it looks like there is something there if you know what I mean. As a woman I know how much it would show of our "thing" and it ain't as much as that.

^^^^^Voice doesn't mean anything. Isabel Sanford, Bea Arthur, and Ruth Pointer (Pointer Sisters) all had deep, male like voices.

there are women who can have strong jawlines and have male faces though.
but, is she taking male hormones then if the tests are wrong?
maybe she has one of those chromosomal disorders and she has some male characteristics ..not everything is perfect in each male or woman. espeically if people can be hermaphrodites too.
if we do find out shes really is a guy though, with all the people who lie about steroids to win already, who knows if some nut put a guy in the female competitions for an easy win. im also wondering about people who are transgendered and feel they have to sneak in like this because they wont be accepted as the gender they feel they are. hopefully it gets resolved quicker since they are ruining this girl either way!

Somebody else who just doesn't fit the "required mould" of society.
I think the whole thing is disgusting! That poor girl :(

Who knows, probably she has what is classified under "rare diseases" which is called androgen resistance. In the extreme form the individual is phenotypically female but has male (XY) chromosomes. The former athlete Ewa Klobukowska from Poland for example was known to have XXY-Chromosomes. Very rare but it happens. :mello:

If she is a girl with that amount of facial hair and low voice, then you'd expect her to have a higher amount of testosterone. That means nothing to me.. I'll wait until the real gender test results come out.

Her mum looks a bit similar to her.

The way this has been handled is horrendous for such a young girl.

She could have some kind of disorder that makes her have a higher than normal level of testosterone that she doesn't even know about.

I wish people wouldn't say 'it'.

I don't know what to think. That person looks completely male. The tests and the results of them should have been kept private imho, however we're not living in a perfect world here so the speculations will just go on and on, most probably.

No, she is just a very ugly woman. :)
Well, not every girl can look like Janet Jackson or Marilyn Monroe. I think it's humiliating what they have put this girl through actually. They should have been far more discreed about it and it should only have been made public if it turns out that she's indeed a male. I must admit that I'm suspicious about her though. Not that I necessarily think she's a male, but this girl comes almost literally out of nowhere with no prior history of results that would suggest she was a great athlete in the making. Athletes seldom if ever become that great in such a short space of time. It's suspicious to say the least.

Back