Is MJ an underrated vocalist?

analogue

Proud Member
I think he is because people spend so much time focusing on his dancing they forget what an amazing singer he is

He's the most underrated vocalist. People don't understand how good he is, and largely I think it's partly for the reason you stated, because he's so talented in so many area's, people find it hard to focus on just one and appreciate it. But in my opinion, Michael is the greatest male vocalist of all time. A case can certainly be made for that on the technical side and in terms of expressing emotion, not to mention he has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. Seth Riggs has even said Michael is the most gifted male vocalist he's ever worked with.

indeed he is because alot of folks don't think of a voice as a Instrument and yet when you hear his voice MJ has the most distinctive instrument that I have ever heard. He sounds like nobody else. his range and harmony is legendary but you don't fully appreciate MJ's range until you hear somebody else trying to imitate his thing or when his music is played in a acoustic setting. I mean as a Kid alone nobody was seeing that dude. as a Adult he is Badd,but as a Kid that range sounded so far ahead of the curve it was scary.

ain't too many people can do Show you the way to go, don't stop till you get enough, you can't win and other vocal runs he did from 75-82 and just make it seem so effortlessly.

Well Mike can sing, rap, beatbox. He's got it all vocally.

Absolutely, I think people spend so much time focusing on his dancing that they fail to appreciate what a talented and diverse vocalist he is. Michael has a fantastic and distinctive voice and deserves more credit as far as his singing goes.

Of course he is. People tend to focus on his dancing more than on his vocal abilities, when he is incredibly giften on both areas.

In fact I'd say he's much more talented as a vocalist, as a dancer obviously he has an undeniably huge talent like no other, but he has also trained himself to become the dancer he is, taking from James Brown and adapting it to make it his own; however as a vocalist...his gift was a natural thing, you just have to listen to 'Who's loving You' and it totally blows you away.

hell yes he is..

It's not intentional though.. It's just he's so talented in other areas..

Though MJ may even be the BEST vocalist. But we've heard great vocalists before..

MJ's other talents are soo unique. MORE unique.. They just stand out more, so his vocals get over shadowed

I think he is because people spend so much time focusing on his dancing they forget what an amazing singer he is

Absolutely, I think people spend so much time focusing on his dancing that they fail to appreciate what a talented and diverse vocalist he is. Michael has a fantastic and distinctive voice and deserves more credit as far as his singing goes.

Of course he is. People tend to focus on his dancing more than on his vocal abilities, when he is incredibly giften on both areas.

In fact I'd say he's much more talented as a vocalist, as a dancer obviously he has an undeniably huge talent like no other, but he has also trained himself to become the dancer he is, taking from James Brown and adapting it to make it his own; however as a vocalist...his gift was a natural thing, you just have to listen to 'Who's loving You' and it totally blows you away.

What they said. :yes:

nahh...i think people think big on his vocals...his jackson 5 years were made on how he can sing older, he did not sing like a little boy. it was talked about. he was a '45 year old midget' in a little body.
that was his first break through of being different, before the moonwalk came along.

even as he grew up his new high voice was so unique.. other guys tryed to copy it. like justin now. and others during the 80s tryed to copy his famed high falsetto voice. its almost like he owned it.

so wouldnt say hes the most underrated vocally at all, he has one of the most distinctive voices, and the public can see he can sing from being a kid and onwards. and lets not forget his 'heheheeeeee' and other sound effects..that made him also a great unique singer too.. actually.

but theres alot of great singers out there..so the dancing sticks out to make him more unique to the world. whereas Frank Sinatra can only sing on stage..
but people get it. :yes:

he can paint images with his voice

he can evoke the whole large emotions with his vocals

he can take us wherever he wants to just by singing...
many do not get it

his voice is a true Gift from God

yeah, he as a vocalist is definitely underrated

Last edited:
YES YES YEEEESSSSSS! I think MJ is THE most underrated vocalist!

yep
i love how he can make you feel anything by the emotion he has in his voice when he sings, he has an amazing voice with an incredible range

I'm just gonna completely agree with everyone on this board! + my 2 cents on the topic.

Yeah, his voice seems to be the only one that can really evoke a kind of passion and emotion that I, as a listener, can truly feel. I was just listening to "Someone In the Dark" (which isn't, you know, doesn't show his greatest vocal abilities) and just the emotions he put behind his voice when singing, I.....I guess I kind of teared up at the end. It's kind of a sad song anyway, so I blame half of it on the lyrics.

But, yes, he is definitely underrated as a vocalist especially in this day and age. Right now, most of our good vocalists seem to be coming from American Idol, give or take a few great ones that stand out like Christina Agu-whatever, Celine, Mariah Carey, and some male vocalists. But the definition of a good vocalist today seems to be the ones who can belt out those high gospel-esque notes without breaking a sweat and going into a falsetto range. ..........Am I making sense, or just a fool of myself. LOL!

It is a personal hope of mine that Michael really does some great tunes that shows off his vocal styles again on this possible new album.

Man, you're right Ivory. People's definition of a good singer these days is someone who belts out all their notes. Belting isn't even a good technique, as it's just pushing the chest register to it's very limts and can damage the vocal cords. Nobody appreciates control, timing, range or quality these days, all three things Michael has in abundance. The way he transitions so seamlessly from chest, to head, to super head, etc... The way he times his phrasing and incoropates those vocal sounds in to his style, and just the pure quality of his voice, it's the most beautiful I've ever layed my ears too, just so sweet it could give you a cavity. People don't get it. Oh well. They're lose.

nahh...i think people think big on his vocals...his jackson 5 years were made on how he can sing older, he did not sing like a little boy. it was talked about. he was a '45 year old midget' in a little body.
that was his first break through of being different, before the moonwalk came along.

even as he grew up his new high voice was so unique.. other guys tryed to copy it. like justin now. and others during the 80s tryed to copy his famed high falsetto voice. its almost like he owned it.

so wouldnt say hes the most underrated vocally at all, he has one of the most distinctive voices, and the public can see he can sing from being a kid and onwards. and lets not forget his 'heheheeeeee' and other sound effects..that made him also a great unique singer too.. actually.

but theres alot of great singers out there..so the dancing sticks out to make him more unique to the world. whereas Frank Sinatra can only sing on stage..
but people get it. :yes:

Ditto to that.

Exactly, his voice is hiding in the shadows of his sexy moves!!! :D

I mean, people may acknowledge that his voice is "unique", but do most people realize how talented he is vocally? Methinks not.

At least the real fans who actually HEAR his music know that he can sing his arse off.

Last edited:
Back