Is It Wrong For A White Person To Portray a Black Slave In A Play?

Karice

Proud Member
This is my new Dave story. Here is part 1! :D

In my school, Marshall Johnson Academy prep school for boys, the drama teacher Mr. Oleander, was having a play about White slave owners and African slaves. The play was set in 1820, in Georgia. I read the script, and I found that I wanted to be Tukus Alu, a slave. I felt I really connected to Tukus. I went up to Mr. Oleander and asked if I could read for Tukus. Mr. oleander looked at me in surprise. "Are you MAD, Dave? How can you play Tukus?

The reason he looked at me in surprise is because I am a White American boy. Tukus was a black man.

"No, I am not mad. I just want to read for Tukus," I told him softly.

"You're WHITE", Mr. Oleander said. "That would look awkward," he continued. "Why don't you play a slave owner?" He asked me.

"I don't want to play a slave owner. I want to play the slave," I answered.

Mr. Oleander stared at me for a long time, then sighed. "Okay, Dave, I'll let you read some for the part."

I squealed happily.

I took the script and read some of it it, as if I were Tukus. I read, "The White man took my ancestors from our beautiful motherland, Africa and forced us to work for him. I was born into slavery and I am now 20 years old, and have never known even one day of freedom. How I wish I had the freedom my ancestors once knew, over 100 hundred years ago. Oh, how I despise the White people. But, my mother tells me not to despise them and to love them instead. how can i love someone who improsoned me and my family unfairly? They even took my father away from us and sold him up the river. Now I only have memories of him. "

I conveyed real pain in my voice as I read this. I read it like I was a real slave.

Mr. Oleander looked pleasantly surprised. "Dave, you seem to really connect to the character. But,.... it would be awkward to have a White person talking like this. I'll have to let other people audition for this part."

"But, I'm great for this part!" I shouted emotionally.

"Sorry, but you do not look the part," Mr. Oleander said, softly.

I knew what he meant by that. I wasn't Black, so I wouldn't look right.

"Thank you for letting me read the part out loud," I told him sadly and softly.

"You're welcome," he told me with a reluctant face.

I left, sadly.

I went home. I felt horrible that I couldn’t get the part of Tukus just because I was White. What racial discrimination! I really wanted that part! “What a BITCH Mr. Oleander is! He’s a BITCH!” I cried angrily to myself. I lied down on my bed and cried.

“I should be Tukus! “ I cried angrily to myself. If I had been Black, that part would have been mine! I cried for a few more minutes, then got up and called my brother Jack on the phone.

“Hey, Dave,” Jack answered me.

“Hi, Jack,” I answered him.

“What’s up?” Jack asked.

“Jack, do you think it’s wrong for a White boy to play a slave?” I asked him.

“That might make Black people upset,” Jack said softly. “Why do you ask?” Jack asked me.

“I wanted to play a slave, and I was REALLY good at my reading for the part, but I was rejected because I’m White,” I answered Jack.

“Isn’t that racial discrimination?” Jack asked me.

“I thought so too,” I answered.

Jack took a long pause. “Dave, are you sure you could do the part without offending Black people?” He asked me softly.

“Yes, I’m sure,” I answered him.

“So, go to another audition,” Jack urged me.

“Yeah, maybe I will,” I told him.

“Good, “Jack told me. We chatted a while, and then hung up.

Jack is my younger brother, and he’s 14. He was adopted from birth because our parents could only afford to raise our older brother, Ryan, and me at the time. Jack and I met when he transferred to Marshall Johnson. We became really close friends; even before I found out he was my brother. Jack was transferred to another school by all four parents after he got raped and attempted suicide, however. I’m Dave Winston by the way, and I’m 15.

Oh, well, back to the subject. I went to the auditorium too see what the next day for auditions for the role of Tukus would be. I found out it would be tomorrow! I was determined to audition for Tukus!

The next day, I went to the auditorium to audition for Tukus. Mr. Oleander saw me and gave me an exasperated sigh. ‘Look, Dave, you already auditioned for the role of Tukus, yesterday. You were great, but you’re White,” he said.

“No, I didn’t audition,” I said. “I only read for the part. I didn’t audition.”

Mr. Oleander sighed again. “Fine, you can audition. This time there were 5 other people auditioning for the role of Tukus. They were all Black people.

I felt a knot in my stomach. They were all eligible to get the role of Tukus. They “looked” the part. They were all lackluster in their audition, however. When it was my turn to audition, I put my very soul and heart into the audition. You could actually believe I was a slave in 1820. I blew these Black auditioners out of the water. I read the lines like a true slave.

After me, Mr. Oleander still said that he had to audition more people.

“Are you crazy, Mr. Oleander?” I should be Tukus!” I blew the audition right out of the water!” I screamed emotionally.

“Sorry, but you’re White,” he told me again.

I left, angrily. “Fu Mr. Oleander! I yelled to myself. “He doesn’t know a good thing when he sees it!”

I found out that the next audition would be in two days. Two days later, I got out my Star Wars costume. I put it on. I would go audition in my BLACK Dark Invader costume. I went to the audition.

Mr. Oleander looked at me curiously. So did all of the other auditioners. “Hi, I’m the Dark Invader from the Star Wars movie. I am here to audition for the role of Tukus,” I said.

Mr. Oleander said, “Dave, I already told you. You were great, but I can’t really give the role to a White person. He looked a little fed up with me.

“But, I’m Black now,” I said. “I’m dressed in a Black Dark Invader costume!”

“Dave, I know that you love this Tukus character a lot. Enough to put on this costume. But, having a White person play this role just won’t fly,” he told me.

“Can I audition again?” I asked him.

“Sure,” he told me reluctantly.

I auditioned again, stronger than the last two times. I was GREAT again. I WAS Tukus, no matter if I got the audition or not. The other auditioners were wooden.

After the audition, Mr. Tukus shook his head again. “None of you guys are my Tukus. The only one who I could possibly give the Tukus role to is a White boy, which really doesn’t fit into the BLACK slave role,” he said with special emphasis, looking in my direction. He looked upset. “I need to find my Tukus!” He said, sounding destitute.

“I’m right here!” I told him. “I AM Tukus” I shouted.

“Yeah, but you’re not Black, no matter what costume you put on,” Mr. Oleander said.

“Fine, but someday, you’re gonna need me for this role,” I told him. I walked out in a huff.

Later that day, a few Black people weren’t too happy that I had shown up in a villain’s costume saying that I was Black.

Patrick Jensen said, “That was tasteless of you to imply that Black people are evil.” He narrowed his eyes.

“I didn’t mean any harm (I was now in my regular clothes). “I just wanted to appear Black,” I said, holding up my hands in surrender. I didn’t want any trouble.

The Black people stared at me coldly. “How would you like it if I wore a KKK outfit and said that I was White?” Shawn Erickson asked me coldly.

I laughed uncomfortably. The Ku Klux Klan isn’t something you Black people would want to play with. They are nasty people. I’m White, and even I wouldn’t play with the KKK. Let alone if I were Black,” I said.

Martin Allenson said, “You racist cracker. You would dress up in a villain’s costume saying that you are Black, and then say, “You Black people.” He looked angry.

The other people followed Martin’s suit and begun to call me “Whitey Cracker.” The chanted that name so many times, and begun telling me that I was a prejudiced jackass and I got fed up.

“Screw you you Ni!..... I started then said,’ooh…..” I stopped myself just in time. I was about to call them Nig…… (You now the word that rhymes with “Bigger” and stars with an “N). The word Black people don’t like White people to call them. Anyway, I used to call them that word when I was little and assumed that word was a good word to call them since I heard them calling each other that all the time. My mother told me that was a derogatory term, and told me to stop using that word. I made a promise to her to never call Black people that again. I kept that promise for 7 years. I ALMOST broke that promise today.

All of the Black people had heard that syllable. They got really angry. “This bitch just called us…Nig……! Shawn said, angrily. “We can have his ass suspended!”

“No, I didn’t,” I said. I didn’t call you the “N” word,” I told them. You didn’t hear that word come out of my mouth,” I said.

“You said,” Ni.” Andy Brandon said. “So what was the whole word going to be?” he asked me with an angry gleam in his eye.

“It could have been, “Negro”, I said. “Negro” just means “Black person.” Nothing offensive about that word,” I said. It’s different from the other word close to that word, which also starts with an N, but is highly offensive.” I said. Or I could have been calling you “Knicks” as in the New York Knicks.” I said.

“That last one doesn’t make any sense,” Andy said. “We know you were about to call us Nig……..”

“You didn’t even hear the whole word,” I stated. I smirked.

Shawn said, “Do you know how difficult it would be to watch some White cracker playing a Black slave? That would be a slap in the face to all Black people, since your family, the White Crackers stole us from Africa to work for you. Now, you’re gonna pretend to be like a Black person? He looked livid.

I got livid too. “Hey, what a minute. I am NOT a descendant from slave owners! You look at me and just assume that I came from slave owners!” I was angry as hell. My family didn’t even come to America until the 50’s!” I shouted.

“All White American people are descendants from slave owners,” Andy said, matter-of factly.

“You see? If I said, “All Black people are illiterate, ghetto hood rats, I’d be writhing on the floor,” I told him. “You can’t just tell me a stereotype like that. Do you even know where the name Winston comes from? I asked him. “It comes from England. My family is from England, and my family got started in 1870, years after slavery in America, anyway,” I told them coldly.

We had a few more arguments, and then I walked away.

They weren't done with me yet, however.

"We're not done talking to you yet," Andy said. He looked angry.

"Look, I don't want any trouble," I told them. "I didn't mean to upset you."

"Well, you did upset us," martin said coldly.

"I'm sorry," I told them.

They stared at me with embittered eyes. "What did I get myself into?" I wondered.

Andy said, "You White people have it so easy," and scoffed at me.

"White people have it easy?" I asked him incredulous. "No, we don't.”YOU guys have it easy," I said.

"Easy? We get ONE month of Black History, and it's the shortest month of the year, even on leap year," Andy scoffed. The others nodded.

"Oh wa wa," I said, sarcastically. "You guys have a whole month of Black History. We Whites get ONE day of White History, July 4th," I scoffed at them. "You guys are lucky you don't have Black History in August, where Hurricanes occur and there are no holidays to celebrate," I said, rolling my eyes.

"What a racist thing to say!" Martin said, looking angry.

"Oh, "You White people have it so easy," That's NOT racist at all!" I said, sarcastically.

Shawn said, "Dave, you're a bitch!"

I answered, "You're the bitch!"

The other three were upset.

Shawn said, "Black roles belong to Black actors." he said this coldly.

(Patrick had already left a long while ago). Martin said, "We don't want you to play Tukus."

Andy said, "You aren't even the descendant of slaves." he scoffed. "You wouldn't know the first thing about the torture us Black's ancestors went through with Tukus."

"You guys are just jealous because I am a better Tukus than all of you. And I'm a White American." I smirked at them.

They gave me angry scowls.

Just then, Dean Riley passed by and asked, 'Aren't you supposed to be in class?" to all of us.

"Yes," Martin said, "But, can you answer one question for me? Martin asked Dean Riley.

Dean Riley sighed and said, 'Okay, what is it?"

Martin asked, "What do you think of a White American playing a Black slave?"

"Bitch!" I thought in my mind.

Dean Riley's eyes held an incredulous look. "What? That would be ridiculous," He answered. "What White American is foolhardy enough to attempt that?"

I blushed. "What if the White American is a very good actor? Better than the Black people even?" I asked.

Dean Riley said, "It doesn't matter. That would just be insulting to Black people. It would be VERY offensive."

"Thank you, Dean Riley," Martin said. All three of them smirked at me.

Dean Riley left, and we all went to our classes. I felt bad about what Dean Riley had said. I did my assignments sadly.

I found out the next day to audition would be the next day.

The next day, I went to the audition. This time, I put on a Black Power Ranger outfit.

"I am the Black Power Ranger," I said. "I am here to audition for the role of Tukus I said.

Mr. Oleander said, "Oh, Dave, give it up," he said. "You've been here to audition two times already and you read for the part once. Now you're dressed in a Power Ranger outfit to audition again. Once again, you would be a GREAT Tukus, but you're WHITE." You keep coming back, and it's the same thing."

"Well, sometimes you've gotta burn it to the wick," I told him. "If the real thing don't do the trick, you gotta make up something quick," I continued. I got that from two lyrics in Heart's "Barracuda". That's advice I live by. Sometimes you gotta burn it to the wick (never give up until you're finished, and find other alternatives around obstacles.).

"Oh my god, Dave," Mr. Oleander said, looking at me with exasperation. "I can see that you don't want to give this up. I'll make you a deal. You can audition, but this will be your LAST chance to audition. If I do not pick you, you will not be able to audition again. You've gotta be better than EVERYBODY auditioning today. Deal?" he asked me.

I smirked. I already WAS a better Tukus than everyone else who had auditioned.

"Deal," I said, smirking cockily.

10 people auditioned. They were once again wooden. When it was my turn, I gave it my VERY best. I was BETTER than everyone else who had auditioned. I had gotten even STRONGER as auditioning for Tukus. Mr. Oleander looked torn. When my audition was over, a lot of people looked torn. They KNEW I was the BEST Tukus there. I was sure I had this in the bag.

I was SO sure that I would be picked as Tukus. I was sure Mr. Oleander was about to say, "Okay, Dave, you got the part, no matter if you're White."

Just then, Franklin Barry walked in. He was a milk-chocolate skinned lean, 5'6 boy. "I am here for the role of Tukus," he said softly. "BITCH!" I screamed at him in my head.

"The role is still open," Mr. Oleander said, with a look of saved relief. He looked as if Franklin had just given him a ray of hope.

Franklin auditioned for the role of Tukus, and he was REALLY good. Better than ALL of the other Blacks who had auditioned. You could actually believe that he was a slave. I was a better Tukus than he was, but he had one BIG advantage over me. He was Black.

After his audition, Mr. Oleander said, "I've finally found my Tukus." he smiled. "Franklin, you're my Tukus."

Franklin beamed. I said, 'Excuse me," and went to the next room and screamed my lungs out in frustration. Then I came back, nonchalantly, as if nothing had happened.

Everyone looked at me in confusion.

'Congratulations," I told Franklin, lying through my teeth.

Franklin said, 'Thanks," guarded.
<!-- / message -->

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

Janet Jackson
Rythm Nation 1814

Peace, Happiness, L.O.V.E~~~

God Bless

As Always

:angel:

:girl_butterfly:

Good story. Look forward to the next part. The ironic thing about the Darth Vader costume was that he was a white man voiced by a black actor, I don't know if it was intentional or not, I thought it was going to play a part in the story :p

Good story. Look forward to the next part.
The ironic thing about the Darth Vader costume was that he was a white man voiced by a black actor, I don't know if it was intentional or not, I thought it was going to play a part in the story
:p

Most intriguing...Things that make us all go Mmm~~~

Peace, Happiness, L.O.V.E~~~

God Bless

As Always

:angel:

Mr. Oleander said, &#8220;I&#8217;m glad you came Franklin. You came just in time.&#8221; Mr. Oleander looked happy.

Franklin beamed. &#8220;I&#8217;m glad to have come,&#8221; He said.

&#8220;You&#8217;re gonna do great as Tukus! &#8220; Mr. Oleander said, smiling.

I was seething with jealousy. Franklin stole the part right out from under me!

&#8220;You&#8217;re such a bitch!&#8221; I told Franklin mentally. Go to hell!&#8221; I thought to Franklin.

&#8220;Dave, how do you feel about Franklin being Tukus?&#8221; Mr. Oleander asked me. I was sure Mr. Oleander was torturing me on purpose.

I said, &#8220;Franklin deserves to be Tukus, because he&#8217;s been to every goddamn audition for Tukus!&#8221; I was embittered, and it showed. &#8220;He&#8217;s Black, so of course he wins the role.&#8221;

Franklin said, &#8220;I&#8217;m sorry if I am a very good Tukus,&#8221; he said snappily.

My face changed. &#8220;Franklin, you are a really good Tukus. You really do deserve this part,&#8221; I said truthfully. &#8220;And it&#8217;s not just because you&#8217;re Black. I can really believe that you are Tukus,&#8221; I said, reluctantly.

&#8220;Thank you,&#8221; Franklin said.

&#8220;You&#8217;re welcome,&#8221; I answered.

Franklin was now Tukus, and I had to deal with it.

The next day, Mr. Oleander called my name.

&#8220;Yes, Mr. Oleander?&#8221; I asked him.

&#8220;You know, you were a really good Tukus,&#8221; he told me softly and reluctantly. &#8220;I wish I could have given you the part of Tukus. It&#8217;s just that you&#8217;re White, like I&#8217;ve said so many times. If you were Black, you would have gotten the part. Franklin fits both requirements. I&#8217;m sorry,&#8221; he said. He really did look sorry.

&#8220;I know,&#8221; I told him softly.

&#8220;But, you&#8217;re a good sport, Dave,&#8221; he said. &#8220;Come to the auditorium after school. I&#8217;ve got something good for you,&#8221; he added.

&#8220;You&#8217;re gonna let be Tukus?&#8221; I asked, hopefully and half-jokingly.

Mr. Oleander said, &#8220;Come on, Dave, you know Franklin is Tukus,&#8221; he said with a slight smile.

&#8220;Okay,&#8221; I said.

After school, I went to the auditorium. I saw Mr. Oleander and Franklin there.

&#8220;Hi,&#8221; Mr. Oleander said to me. &#8220;Hi,&#8221; I said.

&#8220;Let&#8217;s cut to the chase,&#8221; Mr. Oleander said. &#8220;I called you here, Dave, to tell you that you&#8217;re the Tukus understudy.&#8221; He smiled at me. &#8220;If something happens to Franklin, you will play Tukus.&#8221;

Franklin looked at me with a slight smile. Or smirk. &#8220;I am sure that nothing will happen to me,&#8221; he said, cockily.

Mr. Oleander said, &#8220;Franklin, you need an understudy just in case. You two were the best auditioners out of everybody. The other people all stunk in auditions. Since Dave is White, he will be your understudy.&#8221;

Franklin and I soon left. As we were walking to our dorms, Franklin said, &#8220;I doubt that people will like a White person playing Tukus if something happens to me,&#8221; He said, with a sneering smirk.

&#8220;Franklin, just be happy that you get to play Tukus,&#8221; I said, crossly.

I was annoyed with Franklin. He got the part I wanted. He should be talking about how happy he was to be Tukus, not talking about me as an understudy.

Franklin said, &#8220;I&#8217;m the star, and you are my understudy,&#8221; he said, cockily.

&#8220;Are you implying that you&#8217;re better than me?&#8221; I asked him snappily.

&#8220;I won the role, didn&#8217;t I?&#8221; He smirked at me.

&#8220;Because you&#8217;re Black!&#8221; I yelled at him. &#8220;If you were White, you wouldn&#8217;t. It&#8217;s your skin color that won you the role, besides the fact that you were really good in auditions.&#8221;

Franklin said, &#8220;You&#8217;re jealous of me, aren&#8217;t you?&#8221; he sneered at me.

&#8220;No, I&#8217;m not jealous. I&#8217;m resentful of you,&#8221; I answered.

Franklin said, &#8220;Because you didn&#8217;t win the part and I did,&#8221; He sneered.

&#8220;Look Franklin, you won the part. Leave me alone,&#8221; I said. I felt harassed.

&#8220;You know, I went to one of the auditions and saw you auditioning for Tukus. You looked ridiculous pretending to be a slave, even if you were really good,&#8221; Franklin said.

&#8220;Look, Franklin, shut up. Go rehearse your lines for the play,&#8221; I said. &#8220;You are the star now. Why are you attacking me, your understudy?&#8221; I asked.

Franklin said, &#8220;I will make sure you never get to play Tukus.&#8221; He said this to me in a threatening way.

&#8220;I wouldn&#8217;t speak like that to my understudy,&#8221; I told him in a warning tone. &#8220;If something &#8220;happens&#8221; to you, I&#8217;m going to play Tukus on stage in the play, like I should have in the first place.&#8221;

Franklin said, &#8220;You aren&#8217;t supposed to play Tukus! You&#8217;re a White boy! You should be playing a slave owner!&#8221; He looked livid. &#8220;I&#8217;m qualified for this role!&#8221; Franklin continued yelling.

Franklin was really bugging me. &#8220;Franklin, you&#8217;re a fu&#8230;.. bitch! You don&#8217;t deserve this role! I do!&#8221; I yelled, angrily and emotionally to him.

Franklin said, &#8220;Why don&#8217;t you go back to England and to your KKK meetings there and leave the Black roles to the Black people?&#8221; He looked pissed off.

&#8220;Why don&#8217;t you go back to Africa?&#8221; I hissed back at him.

Franklin said, &#8220;You fu&#8230;. Bitch!&#8221; He punched me in my face! I got angry, but knew if I hit him back, I would lose any opportunity I had to play Tukus.

I walked away. Franklin continued to follow me.

&#8220;Take back what you said about Africa!&#8221; Franklin yelled at me.

&#8220;Why? Africa is a beautiful country,&#8221; I said. &#8220;You would love to live there.&#8221;

Franklin pushed me to the ground. &#8220;Take it back!&#8221; He yelled again at me.

&#8220;No! Not until you take back the England/KKK comment!&#8221; I yelled back.

&#8220;Never!&#8221; Franklin yelled. He kicked me in my stomach! Then he jumped on me!

&#8220;Get off of me Franklin!&#8221; I told him, angrily.

&#8220;No! Take back the Africa comment, you fu&#8230;.. Skinhead! &#8220;He yelled. He continued to hit me.

Dean Riley came by and saw Franklin hitting me. &#8220;Franklin, get off of Dave!&#8221; he ordered.

Franklin got off of me.

Dean Riley said, &#8220;Franklin, you&#8217;re suspended for 10 days,&#8221; he told Franklin softly.

&#8220;No!&#8221; Franklin cried emotionally. &#8220;I can&#8217;t play Tukus Alu if I&#8217;m suspended!&#8221; He began to cry uncontrollably. &#8220;Please, Dean Riley,&#8221; I&#8217;m sorry. I won&#8217;t do it again,&#8221; he begged.

&#8220;It&#8217;s up to Dave. If Dave says not to suspend you, I won&#8217;t,&#8221; Dean Riley said.

Franklin looked at me pleadingly.

I took a slight pause. Maybe Franklin DID deserve to be Tukus, if he had that reaction.

&#8220;No, don&#8217;t suspend Franklin. It was my fault too. I said something bad to him,&#8221; I told Dean Riley.

&#8220;Okay, Dean Riley said. &#8220;You&#8217;re not suspended,&#8221; He said to Franklin.

Franklin looked relieved.

Dean Riley asked, &#8220;Are you okay?&#8221; To me.

&#8220;Yes,&#8221; I said. He left.

&#8220;I take back the Africa comment,&#8221; I said toFranklin.

&#8220;I take back the England/KKK/Skinhead comment,&#8221; Franklin said. &#8220;I&#8217;m sorry, he added. &#8220;And thank you for not having me suspended,&#8221; he said gratefully.

&#8220;I accept your apology and I&#8217;m sorry too, and you&#8217;re welcome,&#8221; I said, smiling at him.

He smiled back.

We went to our dorms.

Last edited:
Back