is eccentric the new normal for music audiences

billyworld99

Proud Member
with artists like marilyn manson, bjork, and lady gaga presented videos to shock audiences, do u think music audiences has now become aquanited with extreme happenings that audiences perform on stage or in videos, i think more artists are going for the abnormal thing in music b/c everyone wants to be different and stand out that eccentric is like the normal thing for people that you can expect the most extreme thing when it comes to music now b/c lots of artists are stepping otu of boundries and you expect the craziness out in the music videos now

with artists like marilyn manson, bjork, and lady gaga presented videos to shock audiences, do u think music audiences has now become aquanited with extreme happenings that audiences perform on stage or in videos, i think more artists are going for the abnormal thing in music b/c everyone wants to be different and stand out that eccentric is like the normal thing for people that you can expect the most extreme thing when it comes to music now b/c lots of artists are stepping otu of boundries and you expect the craziness out in the music videos now

I'd say 99% of the artists are overacting an eccentricity on purpose, because it makes them seem "different". Now a days, sadly the music industry has become a competition(rather than a pure art form) and people will do anything to get the audiences attention.

For example: Most of us had a kid in our school that would do weird things to get attention. Was that kid eccentric? Nope, just doing weird things for the attention.

Also to add to that, one person could think someone is normal, the other person could that person is odd or eccentric, the eye is in the beholder.

Finally I'd like mention that eccentricities come from a combination of, What kind of childhood you had + The events that happen throughout one's life + Type of personality.

Last edited:

please don't mention bjork next to marilyn manson and lady gaga :(

please don't mention bjork next to marilyn manson and lady gaga :(

oops didn't mean to put them as being similar but each stand out i guess as different through their music but lots of artists are kinda taking risk with their image and performances

This is nothing new. Go back to the 70s and you have Alice Cooper and Ziggy Stardust.

Every decade has someone trying to be different & eccentric.

BTW what is normal?

Pretty much, imo. Most of the acts today that folks like to call "controversial" become pretty transparent once you listen to the music. It's one thing to dress up as Big Bird from Sesame Street and all of sudden be considered "daring" or "eccentric". It's another to have music that somewhat matches that persona.

Eccentric? Hardly. Most of those people have similar styles and/or themes, sounds, or lyrics. It's all blah blah blah to me. :p

True eccentricity, in my opinion, is a product of utter obliviousness to the social norms and conventions of a given place, culture and time, combined with a certain inner brilliance. Any and all attempts to recreate what naturally occurs are easily detected as such (ahem, lady gaga). Oversize accessories, crazy hair or Kermit the frog outfits are completely unnecessary and only serve to undermine one's own presence.

I am tempted to say that it is usually the artists who are likely to be eccentric, but the people who are receiving this (for lack of a better word) label are anything but artistic. Lady Gaga's songs, albeit catchy, are completely vapid and contain no motivational message or relevance to anyone's life (except maybe her own, but I wouldn't know). It's not only Gaga, though. I mention her the most because she is the current "it" girl of the music business. The public seems to treat her as though she's some sort of never-before-seen godsend. I reckon they have forgotten about Gwen Stefani and Madonna, both of whom at least had the decency of singing songs which were more-or-less coherent.

Eccentricity usually accompanies brilliance, only because the brilliant are too immersed in an advanced state of mind to observe petty social "norms". I would place Michael in this category, because he was bloody brilliant and one of the most artistic people to have ever lived. He had that certain "something" which, honestly speaking, escapes description. It's art, and brilliance and passion and a certain sense of aloofness from that which is commonplace, somehow complimented by a deep awareness of that which surrounds us all. That's the best I can say to describe it.

Eccentricity, at least the way I see it, has nothing to do with "weirdness" or "strangeness". There are plenty of utterly strange people in this planet (like ill-qualified "journalists" and a district attorney who seem to be vindictively obsessed with a certain celebrity) who haven't an ounce of brilliance within their system.

Eccentricity, I think, is the physical expression of brilliance. It's something that pretty much can't be controlled or fabricated. In any case, none of the people you have named in your post have it, as far as I am concerned.

I conclude my post by stating that I have put my shiny two cents in. :3

Last edited:
Eccentric? Hardly. Most of those people have similar styles and/or themes, sounds, or lyrics. It's all blah blah blah to me. :p

True eccentricity, in my opinion, is a product of utter obliviousness to the social norms and conventions of a given place, culture and time, combined with a certain inner brilliance. Any and all attempts to recreate what naturally occurs are easily detected as such (ahem, lady gaga). Oversize accessories, crazy hair or Kermit the frog outfits are completely unnecessary and only serve to undermine one's own presence.

I am tempted to say that it is usually the artists who are likely to be eccentric, but the people who are receiving this (for lack of a better word) label are anything but artistic. Lady Gaga's songs, albeit catchy, are completely vapid and contain no motivational message or relevance to anyone's life (except maybe her own, but I wouldn't know). It's not only Gaga, though. I mention her the most because she is the current "it" girl of the music business. The public seems to treat her as though she's some sort of never-before-seen godsend. I reckon they have forgotten about Gwen Stefani and Madonna, both of whom at least had the decency of singing songs which were more-or-less coherent.

Eccentricity usually accompanies brilliance, only because the brilliant are too immersed in an advanced state of mind to observe petty social "norms". I would place Michael in this category, because he was bloody brilliant and one of the most artistic people to have ever lived. He had that certain "something" which, honestly speaking, escapes description. It's art, and brilliance and passion and a certain sense of aloofness from that which is commonplace, somehow complimented by a deep awareness of that which surrounds us all. That's the best I can say to describe it.

Eccentricity, at least the way I see it, has nothing to do with "weirdness" or "strangeness". There are plenty of utterly strange people in this planet (like ill-qualified "journalists" and a district attorney who seem to be vindictively obsessed with a certain celebrity) who haven't an ounce of brilliance within their system.

Eccentricity, I think, is the physical expression of brilliance. It's something that pretty much can't be controlled or fabricated. In any case, none of the people you have named in your post have it, as far as I am concerned.

I conclude my post by stating that I have put my shiny two cents in. :3

great post

Anybody can dress or look different (KISS, Devo, GWAR, Ru Paul, Wendy O. Williams, Stryper, etc.), but not everybody can make music that is out there like Sun Ra, Moondog, Wendy Carlos, or Delia Derbyshire. Acts like these never sold much or got radio play and didn't try to make commercial music or reach a mainstream audience.

Back