Is an album's single typically the "best" song on it?

ForeverKOP

Proud Member
Is an album's single typically the "best" song on the album? In other words, is the Estate/Sony releasing 'Hold My Hand' as a single because they think it's the best track on the it? Do they think it's better than the other ones, like 'Monster', 'Hollywood Tonight', or even 'Another Day'?

I don't understand why they're putting out a slow track as the lead, considering up-beat is the way to catch attention nowadays...

Is an album's single typically the "best" song on the album? In other words, is the Estate/Sony releasing 'Hold My Hand' as a single because they think it's the best track on the it? Do they think it's better than the other ones, like 'Monster', 'Hollywood Tonight', or even 'Another Day'?

I don't understand why they're putting out a slow track as the lead, considering up-beat is the way to catch attention nowadays...

its been done many many times before with artists including mj
for bad the first single was i just cant stop loving you and that album is amazing.
they simply put forth the one song which will attract the most variety of audiences , and hold my hand is an anthemic song which will be enjoyed by people of all ages its a prefect go to track i think personally. its very mainstream type and a feel good song , they wouldint want to risk putting out an expiermental song without knowing the outcome 100 percent otherwise if its not a good selling single it could damage sales.

Not exactly, it is what the label thinks will be the best in terms of radio play and sales. Michael fought with Sony during Invincible because he wanted to release unbreakable first, but sony wanted you rock my world. They are probably releasing hold my hand because everyone knows that Michael recorded with him because of the leak and also since akon is a big star

I don't think the Sony are releasing it as they think its the 'best' song on the album, I think there releasing it as the first single as:
1) it features Akon who's 'in' right now, making appeal more to the younger generation
2) its radio friendly
3) its a slow song, and fits in with Christmas
4) none of the fans will question the authenticity

Was TGIM best song from Thriller ? -NO

WAS IJCSLY best son from BAD ? - NO

It's not neccesary the best song that get's released as first single.

also according to the estate, Mj wanted HMH to be first single of his "next project".

$ony cant say what is the best song, or which is the strongest, its personal taste, the reason (i heard) that 'hmh' is being released 1st is only because michael apparently said he wanted it to be the 1st single from his next album!!!

I think to put the midtempo track first is good because it doesn't spend "too much" excitement. If the first track is good enough it keeps it going and then usually "the best track" will be released as a single when the album is out. It could be the second or the third single.

the most commercial friendly songs are usually put forth as singles, im willing to say much too soon is wayyyyyyyy better than HMH but probably not as commercial friendly, on mj's past albums hes had slower songs as the first single, thriller and bad for example

No, it's not.

But it resumes a tradition. since Thriller every first single was a duet. Except BOW and YRMW.
It's chismas time and slow nice ballads, get released mostly at this time.

whatever happens to me and sure to many was the best song on Invincible.

Many great albums don't get their best songs released as single.

Like it's been said, the record company peaks the most commercial ones.

No, it's not.

But it resumes a tradition. since Thriller every first single was a duet. Except BOW and YRMW.

Black or White featured Slash on guitar and a rap by Bill Bottrell, so you could say it was kind of a collaboration. I don't think this counts but YRMW also had Chris Tucker on the intro.

I don't think the Sony are releasing it as they think its the 'best' song on the album, I think there releasing it as the first single as:
1) it features Akon who's 'in' right now, making appeal more to the younger generation
2) its radio friendly
3) its a slow song, and fits in with Christmas
4) none of the fans will question the authenticity

Perfect, I totally agree. Though an Austrian radiostation which played "HMH" today for the first time, questioned the authenticity of MJ's voice indirectly, even on HMH. They refered to the Jackson family and their concerns about whether it is MJ on the new songs or not.

This is really getting on my nerves.

It would be a dister for Sony if they released a single or an album with tracks which are not sang by Michael, although they say it was MJ.

Breaking news is better than HMH, i actually reckon most of the songs will be better than HMH, i'm suprised Sony have included it on the album it just isn't good enough for a Michael Jacskon album.

Black or White featured Slash on guitar and a rap by Bill Bottrell, so you could say it was kind of a collaboration. I don't think this counts but YRMW also had Chris Tucker on the intro.
Yes, i thought about that, too.

But, Slash played only the intro on guitar, not sure even about that. the guitar in BOW is played by Bruce sweden.
And slash confirmed that he played only on GITM.
And rap verses aren't duets. it's more like featuring. And since Bill Bottrel isn't know or famous artist, he is not even a raper, it's not necessary to be pointed.
Dangerous didn't have duet song.

Yes, i thought about that, too.

But, Slash played only the intro on guitar, not sure even about that. the guitar in BOW is played by Bruce sweden.
And slash confirmed that he played only on GITM.
And rap verses aren't duets. it's more like featuring. And since Bill Bottrel isn't know or famous artist, he is not even a raper, it's not necessary to be pointed.
Dangerous didn't have duet song.

I see your point. I didn't call BOW a duet, just a collaboration.
Slash also plays on Morphine, D.S. & Privacy.

To me singles aren't always the best songs on an album. They are often very catchy, because they need to linger in your mind to be recognized when heard a few times.

But then in Michael's case, I think any song of his albums could have easily been a single, as they are all so damn good.

Back