Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

Proud Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Mary Foster, Associated Press Writer – 5 mins ago
NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.
Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.
"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."
If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.
"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.
Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.
Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.
Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.
"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."
Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.
"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."
"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. "The Supreme Court ruled as far back as 1963 that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."
The ACLU sent a letter to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and recommending "the most severe sanctions available, because such blatant bigotry poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the administration of justice."
"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzmann said.
According to the clerk of court's office, application for a marriage license must be made three days before the ceremony because there is a 72-hour waiting period. The applicants are asked if they have previously been married. If so, they must show how the marriage ended, such as divorce.
Other than that, all they need is a birth certificate and Social Security card.
The license fee is $35, and the license must be signed by a Louisiana minister, justice of the peace or judge. The original is returned to the clerk's office.
"I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."
(This version corrects the spelling of Schwartzmann.))

...nope. it ain't over yet. and dude is rationalizing, too.

Isn't that crazy? I don't even know what to say.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

This is always a cop-out that racists use, It's his job to marry no matter what the couple is. Some people's animosity toward interracial marriage is f-in dumb. It's just skin color. :mat:

this kind of stuff just makes me sick...here we are in the year 2009 and this kind of crap still goes on...this guy should be ashamed of himself.

"I'm not a racist"

Ah, yes you are!

Not letting two different races marry is just as unfair as not letting two people of the same sex marry.

Geez, we're all human!

Racism has not ended in America. The current discourse is a testament to that.

It's a shame that we still have this problem in America!!

Last edited:
Someone should inform this man that he IS NOT GOD.

I'm too angry to type anything more now...

This is one of the most assinine things I have ever read or heard about. His "reason"? "Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long."

Well, I have a cousin named Larry whose married to a woman named Becky. I have many relatives that are intermarried. Larry and Becky are soon going to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary!! Read it, Judge. 50 years. And they are intermarried. Good grief. Just when I thought the stupidity,ignorance and hatred couldn't get any worse, I read something like this.

So sad! I too worry about how it will be when my Fiance (White) German male and I get married (Multi-racial Black Women). I love him so much and sometimes it just feels weird and sad when people are staring at us. And now to read something like this. Makes me even more worried. I met my fiance in a MJ chat room in 2000. We been together long time. I love how Michael brings people together.

I love him so much and sometimes it just feels weird and sad when people are staring at us. And now to read something like this. Makes me even more worried.

Eh. Let them stare. As long as you two are happy, then that is all that matters. If people want to waste their time on something so trivial, then let them.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.
obviously not.

How stupid.

How dare he try to prevent this couple for confirming their love for one another and promising their lives to each other.

His excuse is pathetic. Marriages are failing everywhere regardless. People are people. For goodness sake!

That guy sounds like my family. Mainly my mother, my mother's husband, and my father. According to them they think it is sick, disgusting and just plain wrong to be with someone who is not the same race as you are. My father has already disown my 2 half sisters because they had a black man's baby. And he refuse to give money to my one half sister cause she needed some money to feed her baby. I wanted to kill my father when I heard this. Prejudice people is one of the things that I hate most in the world. It seems like I am the only in my entire family who is not prejudice and is all for interracial couples. I remember back when I was in high school a couple of black kids had asked me out on a date. And I really wanted to say yes to them because I had like them. But I had to say no because I was so afraid of what my mother might do to me. I really don't understand my family they are against whites being with blacks. Yet they accepted my mother's cousin marriage to a Native American man who my mother's cousin had a child with him. I don't understand why that is ok and being with a black person is not ok. My mother always says stay with your own color when dating. I just think that is so wrong for her to say that.

I'd file a civil lawsuit against this guy. Then I'd go out of state and get married elsewhere.

Did this judge ever consider the fact that he was adding to the prevailing attitude that those relationships didn't last? That maybe other judgements and "laws" on the books in La. may have contributed to the failure of these marriages in the first place? People's attitudes need to change. And MJsBollyWoodGirl, tell them all to go stuff it. Really. Love is what love is. It doesn't take on a particular color either.

america likes to take pride in being so diverse and multi-cultural and tries to teach others about racism I've seen it so many times, when in fact the US itself is the most racist place in the world

OK, this is the classic I'm not a racist but... explanation. Bah! And why was it necessary to say the above, especially the bathroom bit? How silly! This man is an obvious racist. I'm sure the couple in question finds another judge to marry them but a complaint to some higher authority would be well in order too. That sort of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated.

Oh, I reread the piece of news and I understand the couple has since already married. Good! :)

Last edited:
Its amazing in this day and age how some people can still act like this. Its disgusting. Racism is so god damn ugly.

"Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long."

Hey, interracial marriage lasts longer than Britany Spears and Fred Durst's marriage.

*RIMSHOT*

I'm gonna stop that now..But yeah WTF! Will these morons ever learn?

I mean whern it comes to love, it dosen't matter if your black or white (SEE WHAT I DID THERE), straight or gay or whatever! Love is love no matter what!

Unbeliable.
BTW I too know a interracial couple who has been together for over 30 years. And theirs is an international marriage too because she's scandinavian and he's african-american

\"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

This whole sentence sounds like hes talking about an animal...
I mean I let them use my bathroom WTF is that supposed to mean?? Is there some kind of danger attached to that? Its so sicking that with all the advancement made in recent years people like this STILL cant see past something so superficial and (literally) only skin deep.

AP: La. justice quits after interracial wed flap

Play Video AP – La. official refuses to marry interracial couple

By MELINDA DESLATTE, Associated Press Writer Melinda Deslatte, Associated Press Writer – 6 mins ago
BATON ROUGE, La. – A Louisiana justice of the peace who refused to marry a couple because the bride was white and groom was black resigned Tuesday.
Keith Bardwell, who is white, quit the post with a one-sentence statement to Louisiana Secretary of State Jay Dardenne and no explanation of his decision: "I do hereby resign the office of Justice of the Peace for the Eighth Ward of Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, effective November 3, 2009."
Bardwell refused to perform the ceremony for Beth Humphrey and Terence McKay because they are of different races.
When questioned about his refusal, Bardwell acknowledged he routinely recuses himself from marrying interracial couples because he believes such marriages cause harm to the couples' children. In interviews, he said he refers such couples to other justices of the peace, who then perform the ceremony, which happened in this case.
Humphrey has said she and McKay received their marriage license from the parish clerk of court, where they also received a list of people qualified to perform the ceremony. When she called Bardwell's office to ask about the ceremony on Oct. 6, Humphrey said Bardwell's wife told her that the justice wouldn't sign their marriage license because they were a "mixed couple."
Bardwell didn't immediately return a call for comment Tuesday about his resignation, which followed calls for his ouster from several public officials, including Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu.
Humphrey and McKay have filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against Bardwell.

america likes to take pride in being so diverse and multi-cultural and tries to teach others about racism I've seen it so many times, when in fact the US itself is the most racist place in the world

Racism can only exist when different races are forced to live in the same territory. Besides hostile attitudes towards interracial marriage are much higher in places like Israel, Japan, Korea, Russia, etc.

Back