Instruments of Funk

Foxy..

Proud Member
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
What makes Funk sound so good? Percussion, vocals, horns, clavinet, slap-bass? What else? Here are some examples;

Clavinet

Overview

Stevie Wonder - Tuesday Heartbreak

Slap Bass

Larry Graham

Level 42 - Love Games

I think this studio version of Superstition is a perfect representation of funk music and the instruments used whilst a song is being produced.

Last edited:
ahhh juicy topic! love this kind of stuff.

i've never been a fan the Clavinet but when Stevie wah-wah's it like in Higher Ground, you can't help but fall in love with it. come to think of it, i love anything that's been wah-wah'd - guitars, trumpets, Rhodes, strings (digitally),,, just something about the effect.

and we already mentioned this yesterday, but one of my favourite sounds came from Bernie Worrell's synth play, laying down deep bass Moog lines that defined P-Funk's sound (as well as inspiring later disco/r&b/boogie, electronic music, hip-hop, and even Stevie):

arpms.png

Funkadelic
Knee Deep

ilzko2.png

Baha! I almost spat my Cup o' Tea when I read the rep comment. But.. we can continue our little disagreement in not being on the completely same wavelength with the sound of the Clav ;) I think for me, the sound the Clav brings to funk is so iconic, but very dated now.. I would however, love to hear it in some contemporary music, I only ever hear it in Jamiroquai's work and a couple of unsigned acts.

I love your example of the 'wah-wah' sound, and its true, I also love the edge it gives to an instrument of almost any kind, the opening of Knee Deep and indeed Me Myself and I is now SO well known because of this amazing sound.

Blame it on the Boogie has some HEAVY 'wah-wah' use of guitar and plenty more funky sounds inside. It is a shame it is considered a cheesy track, because its production is so so intricate.

Jacksons - Blame it on the Boogie

The clavinet goes without saying, most definitely.

Absolutely love Curtis Mayfield's guitar work and his method of bringing the funk to just about anything he wanted to, whether it was just a slow rhythmic track, a soul track or whatnot. His string sections were pretty amazing to, as exemplified in "If There's A Hell Below, We're All Gonna Go".

images

Staple Singers: Let's Do It Again (Curtis Mayfield penned/produced)

Of course, as mentioned, the moog and arp synths are pretty well tied to the sound as well.

images

Stevie Wonder: Jesus Children Of America

Moving Violation (1975)

hmmm, well for example the clean Clav sound on Superstition isn't all that attractive to me (it sounds like a toned-down harpsichord). but then when he puts the wah-wah effect on in your first example (and especially a bit more subtly in Higher Ground), it really becomes a different animal and i love it because nothing else sounds like that.

and funnily enough, having not heard Blame It On The Boogie for a while, i just recognised the clean Clavinet in the beginning and in the mini-breaks and it sounded good. it's a brill song.

though the one Jackson 5 track which i remember for its stellar Clav work is Body Language:

2yxkfpi.jpg

Body Language

In Body Language, did they sample War.. or was it the other way around?

Great examples of the uses of instruments in Funk.. And Superstition, its ok - i'm with you on the Clav ;) Arx just doesn't know what he's talking about :ph34r:

f_laugh.gif
hey, different strokes! (but i'm always right o_o)

and yeah they interpolated the War hook in there (and that track was also filled with Clavs haha). there's a really nice re-edit of Body Language by some 21st century DJ but for the life of me i can't find it in my files.

The talkbox also brings a great funkiness to music, whether the track itself is funk (More Bounce To The Ounce) or simply an R&B/rhythmic track. The talkbox will essentially turn it into a funk track regardless.

Definately with you on talkbox, I have much to post about Zapp & Roger, who I think are a staple of Funk music.

And Arx..Different strokes..? You are one stroke from getting Clavinet ;) i'm just 2cool4skool.

Find that revamp of Body Language if you can, I would love to hear it and i'm sure that if its from your collection it will be gold. But wait.. I remember you posting, in fact, creating a thread about organisation of albums/songs/composers.. so whats all this jive about you misplacing a song! It should be at your fingertips!

Just thought I would post a key and well known riff of slap-bass - personal favourite. Very sparce use of the bass guitar actually enhances its prominance in the track. Imo.

Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots

ahh the talkbox
f_loveblush.gif

and not to repeat the term "wah-wah" for the dozenth time, but it rides on exactly the same concept. i might be on to something here.... along the lines of "wah-wah" being the key to life.

Find that revamp of Body Language if you can, I would love to hear it and i'm sure that if its from your collection it will be gold. But wait.. I remember you posting, in fact, creating a thread about organisation of albums/songs/composers.. so whats all this jive about you misplacing a song! It should be at your fingertips!
haha, yeah i've been slacking and am now left with a 40-odd gigabyte "temp" folder of disorganised junk o_o

and Patrice Rushen! legend in all popular African-American genres.

thread of the month, this.

oh no you di'int!

aelc2w.gif

oh the funk has just been raised......

all bow to Sir Cliffster, the real Peter Pan of Pop (sorry, Mike).

Last edited:
From here on out, we have to endeavour to keep this thread as funky as possible! Just because I posted the Cliff video, kryptonite to funk.

That .gif is fantastic! It has certainly raised the metaphorical bar of tha' funk!

This should get us back on track, proof of Funk being heavily used in by some great Hip-Hop acts. The electric guitar (maybe someone can inform me of the style/way the guitar is employed.. plucked is all I can think of..) is just wonderful on this track.

Q-Tip - Lets Ride

Last edited:
found the re-edit. i first came across this on one of Gilles Peterson's worldwide shows. one of these little things that give you a better appreciation for a track.

emphasises the funk, also adds a bit more of a go-go feel to it which i love.
afro.gif

2luxso5.jpg

Body Language
(Fat Camp Edit)

I really enjoyed that reinvisioning of Body Language. It almost gave it more of 70's disco feel than the original (if that if even possible!) maybe because of the recurring bass hook it just transports me into bellbottoms and big collars... Its really groovalicious!

After re-hearing this track in the movie Semi-Pro (which has a top notch soundtrack), I just fell in love it again. Subtle guitar and bass, raspy chorus mixed with smooth vocals.. Layers and layers to hear in this one, its what makes it so good!

Brothers Johnson - Get The Funk Outta My Face

One word: Stuart Zender!

Kudos! I love his work with Jamiroquai..

& this solo is wonderful..

&& whilst on the subject of Jamiroquai;

Jamiroquai - Shoot the Moon (Live @ Montreux) - Unreleased.. and why I love the funky vibes.. the electric guitar is so good and it just sounds so progressive and tight. Just how funk should be!

Last edited:
I know it's almost clique to mention this song but a Glam Rock band to take on the funk and succeed is a huge achievement in my eyes.

I'm talking about, Another One Bites The Dust!

A song from No Doubt, ''Hella Good''.

It's all about the Bass Line for me!

Back