In Memoriam: The Ronettes' Estelle Bennett (1941-2009)

troubleman84

Proud Member
Ronettes singer Estelle Bennett dies at age 67
by Jay Lustig/The Star-Ledger
Thursday February 12, 2009, 5:10 PM

She sang on '60s rock hits like "Be My Baby," "Baby, I Love You" and "Walking In the Rain," and toured with groups like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

But fame was fleeting for Estelle Bennett of The Ronettes. After the trio broke up in 1966, she rarely appeared in public again. "I'm Estelle of The Ronettes," she said in the brief acceptance speech she gave upon being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007, as if she needed to remind people who she was.

Police found Bennett dead Wednesday, at her Englewood apartment. She was 67.

"To my beloved sister, rest in peace, you deserve it. I love you," wrote her sister and fellow Ronette Ronnie Spector (nee Veronica Bennett), on her website.

"Not a bad bone in her body. Just kindness," she added in a press statement.

Nedra Talley Ross, a cousin of the Bennett sisters and the third member of The Ronettes, said that Estelle had led a hard life, struggling with schizophrenia and anorexia.

Ross, of Chesapeake, Va., also said Bennett had dated people like Mick Jagger, George Harrison, Johnny Mathis and George Hamilton, decades ago. "She was quiet," said Ross. "She was not pretentious at all, but she carried herself with a sophistication that a lot of guys thought was really sexy. And she had a very, very good heart."

Estelle, Ronnie's older sister by two years, grew up in New York City and stayed there most of her life. She had been living in Englewood for only a few years. She was found at her apartment Wednesday after a friend, Kevin Dilworth (a former Star-Ledger reporter), went there to check on her, concerned because he and others had not been able to reach her. She did not answer the door, so Dilworth called the Englewood police, who entered the apartment and determined she was dead.

Dilworth said she was last seen alive on Monday afternoon.

The time and cause of death have not been determined yet. "I think she really just died of a broken heart," said Dilworth. "After that group disbanded in 1966, I don't think she was ever right again.

"The only time I really saw her come to life was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (ceremony). When they came out of the main ceremony room, when she walked down the hallway, and the paparazzi ... all the flashing cameras, and the people asking for autographs ... her eyes just lit up. She was so excited, and she was back on top of the world again. But she went right back to anonymity."

The three Ronettes began singing together as children in the Washington Heights section of Manhattan.

"We grew up learning three-part harmony," said Ross. "We had a sound that was a family sound: when you are blood, there's a blood sound that can blend together in a different way than when you're not."

"Estelle was valedictorian at her high school (George Washington High School in Manhattan)," said Ronnie's husband, Jonathan Greenfield. "She was a bookworm and, also, very much into fashion. She was the one who was always reading 'Glamour' and 'Vogue' and all the fashion magazines."

Performing as The Darling Sisters, the three won an Apollo Theatre talent show in 1959. Later they recorded as Ronnie and the Relatives, and sang backing vocals for Bobby Rydell, Del Shannon and Joey Dee.

Producer-songwriter Phil Spector started working with them in 1963, and helped them make their landmark recordings as The Ronettes. The thunderous "Be My Baby," released in 1963, is widely considered their masterpiece. Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys once called it the greatest pop record ever made.

Spector married Ronnie in 1968, but they divorced in 1974. In 1988, The Ronettes sued Spector for failing to pay royalties. They won the case, but it was overturned on appeal.

In addition to Ronnie Spector, Bennett is survived by a daughter, Toyin Hunter of Santa Monica, Calif.; and three grandsons. Funeral arrangements had not been made.

p050113ronettes.jpg

Estelle on the far right

ronettes.jpg

On the far right again

ronettes.jpg

On the far right...

So if anyone asks which one was Estelle (we know Ronnie was in the middle), she was always on the right. :yes:

Back