Ice Hockey World Championship 09

The One.

Proud Member
Yes, I had to make this thread again :D

I've been impatiently waiting for the games to get closer so I could make this thread but I can't wait anymore, 7 days!!!

I hope MJJC has got some ice hockey fan -members since the last games. I really hope here would be someone to discuss with :)

So, the games are in Switzerland this time.

Group ACanadaSlovakiaHungaryBelarusGroup BFranceGermanySwitzerlandRussiaGroup CAustriaLatviaSwedenUSAGroup DNorwayFinlandhttp://www.yle.fi/urheilu/tapahtumat/jaakiekon_mm_2009/leijonien_esittelyDenmarkCzech Republic

Gooo Hungary! LOL

I know it's a little miracle that our national group is taking part in the ice-hockey world championship!!!! Yay!

I think I have to watch at least the matches when Finland plays... hopefully we would see Kimi there. If there isn't a GP weekend or other thing for him to do... then I'm sure he'd go to matches to cheer for them!

Really??? No other fans? :(

Only 4 days to the tournament start!

Here's the schedule for Friday April 24th: (Switzerland time)

4.15 PMGER - RUS4.15 PMBLR - CAN20.15 PMSUI - FRA20.15 PMSVK - HUN

Russia for the champions wooo! :D

Hey I'm big hockey fan and I'm wating for April 24th too (;

:bump

Tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow! :wild:
Finland has its first game in Saturday, though. Can't waittt!

Yess I love hockey :heart:

Finland - Norway 5-0

Our goal keeper was great! He played for the first time ever in Finland's national team on any level.
The referees had quite interesting decisions few times though, otherwise the game was good.

Jarkko Ruutu is my love :rofl:

Results so far
BLR - CAN 1-6
SVK - HUN 4-3
GER - RUS 0-5
SUI - FRA 1-0

USA - LAT 4-2
NOR - FIN 0-5

Today will be played also SWE - AUT and CZE - DEN :)

^ So is Finland :yes:
Gooo Finland!!! Our powerplay rocks (6 pp goals in 2 games!)

FIN - DEN 5-1 :dancing:

It's a big thing for a little country like Hungary with very few ice rinks that we are at the world championship. We may lost the game against Canada - which isn't a surprise - but my colleague said that the Canadian coach said afer the match that: "we would like to have such supporters like you got". The Hungarian people who travelled to Switzerland to support our national team are very very great and loud!!! :D

It's a big thing for a little country like Hungary with very few ice rinks that we are at the world championship. We may lost the game against Canada - which isn't a surprise - but my colleague said that the Canadian coach said afer the match that: "we would like to have such supporters like you got". The Hungarian people who travelled to Switzerland to support our national team are very very great and loud!!! :D

That's what our commentator said too! :yes: :D They also said Hungary will be hope of the future (or how should I say) and they have even in this tournament played quite well, against Slovakia they lost with only one goal! It's very good for such non-ice hockey country. And also the game against Belarus which I watched little bit was even until the 3rd period.

That's what our commentator said too! :yes: :D They also said Hungary will be hope of the future (or how should I say) and they have even in this tournament played quite well, against Slovakia they lost with only one goal! It's very good for such non-ice hockey country. And also the game against Belarus which I watched little bit was even until the 3rd period.

Really, that's what they said?! Wow, it's sweet!:yes:

We lost the match against Belarus.... :( the miracle didn't happen... Oh ,well *sigh* we were there at least! :cheeky:

I'm definitely watching the games where Finland plays! Everything seems good so far! :) woot woot

Alriiight, Finland-Czech Republic 4-3, that's the way to go! :cheers:
Yay! :cheers: Though our players made my heart skip a beat with those aaaawful mistakes they did, especially defencemen.. :bugeyed Niko Kapanen was on fire!
But we really deserved to win, two last periods were totally in our control :yes: Can't wait for tomorrow, Saturday and Monday! :D

There's swine flu suspects in Switzerland also, hopefully it won't get to the players! :angel:

Hanna! You won't believe it but I watched this match yesterday. This was the first ice-hockey match that I've seen from the beginning till the end. To my biggest surprise, I quite liked it. The players were really fast, I couldn't follow the disk most of the time. They are very rude, I mean, those big fights and pushing, etc. OMG! I don't understand the rules yet but it was enjoyable. I laughed a lot of times, it was funny. The atmosphere was great too. I didn't see Kimi, they didn't show him but I've read that he was there and Heikki too!!! :D

Hanna! You won't believe it but I watched this match yesterday. This was the first ice-hockey match that I've seen from the beginning till the end. To my biggest surprise, I quite liked it. The players were really fast, I couldn't follow the disk most of the time. They are very rude, I mean, those big fights and pushing, etc. OMG! I don't understand the rules yet but it was enjoyable. I laughed a lot of times, it was funny. The atmosphere was great too. I didn't see Kimi, they didn't show him but I've read that he was there and Heikki too!!! :D
Haha great! I'm glad the first game you witnessed was very good hockey :D

I hadn't heard that Kimi & Heikki were there too! Cool!

I Love HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wild: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Hmm.. I saw the first period of CAN - CZE and based on that Canada wouldn't have deserved its 5-1 win.. Czechs dominated the first period imo and Canada's 3 first goals were kind of lucky ones, though Czechs made mistakes.
But that's the way it is, the yshould've just played better.

Also, the little I saw from RUS - SWE, Russians' play didn't convince me that much, though they won the game.

The Power Rankings are for the enjoyment of IIHF.com readers, and reflect the progress of teams during the IIHF World Championship. They are distinct from the official IIHF World Ranking.

Power Rankings (as of April 29)

1 CANADA
More powerful than a Tim Horton's doughnut

2 RUSSIA
Kovy is kruisin'

3 SWEDEN
Wow, that was just like playing Finland

4 FINLAND
Shut up, Sweden--we won too!

5 CZECH REPUBLIC
Some guy called "Niko-las" kept scoring on us

6 SWITZERLAND
Following the Gospel According to Ralph

7 UNITED STATES
IIHF.com would never question Ron Wilson's integrity

8 LATVIA
Sorry, Austria (well, not THAT sorry)

9 BELARUS
We beat Hungary: potato pancakes all around!

10 SLOVAKIA
Should add Peter Stastny for the next round

11 NORWAY
Tommy Jakobsen isn't getting older, he's getting better

12 FRANCE
Forget the Habs--we are the Flying Frenchmen

13 DENMARK
We've seen this Lars von Trier movie before

14 GERMANY
Everybody but us can get relegated--how sweet is that?

15 HUNGARY
Magical Magyars? What Magical Magyars?

16 AUSTRIA
Two goals in three games? Call Dr. Freud now

Sweden and Finland :rofl:

Last edited:
Oh man, two last games from Finland hasn't been very fun to watch.. we lost to Belarus yesterday! :blink: Better get things going til Monday when we play against Canada..

CAN - FIN 3-4 (penalty shots)

Haha, you could definitely tell from the game that Canadiens aren't used to lose! Especially their captain Shane Doan was very anxious in the beginning. Though we lost our two goal lead it definitely proved that our team is GOOD and we are in this tournament to WIN it! Doesn't matter if we don't have our best NHL players, I'm so proud that in the end we won Canada. And after all, Finland controlled a big part of the game! Goalkeepers' saves tell something about it (Roloson 50 - Rinne 29) so considering those we should have won the game in primary time, but I don't complain!

Tomorrow FIN - USA!
There's a poll in IIHF's website "Who will be the winner of the Finland-USA clash?"
Result: Finland: 89.9% - USA: 10.1% :sarmoti

^^^^ woooooow :wild:

Gooooooooooo Finland!!!! :clapping::punk: For sure!!!!:cheeky::D

I'm disappointed because yes, again, our team would have deserved to be in the top 4. Though right after the game yesterday I didn't even feel that sad but then the interviews. *sigh* Our players were so disappointed, I feel so bad for them because they would have deserved to win USA. If I remember correctly Finland hasn't lost to USA, not even once in the 00's but now it happened.

And again, the goalkeepers' saves: Esche 47, Rinne 32. I feel bad especially for our goalkeeper Rinne who really was playing awesome game but all the goals he let through were impossible for him to save.. But well, this is hockey. We should've just played better.
I'm already waiting for next year and the Olympics, lol.

I hope the Czechs win this tournament.

I really don't know anything about ice-hockey, but I thought Finland's is a much better team than the US team. Well, what can you do? *sigh* That's life. :(

I really don't know anything about ice-hockey, but I thought Finland's is a much better team than the US team. Well, what can you do? *sigh* That's life. :(
Finland IS better team :cheeky: We just had the black 4 minutes in the second period when they scored 3 goals and our game never returned to its own level after that.

Back