I started thinking about a future Estate project centred around MJ's short films

ChrisC

Guests
A lot of people have expressed their wishes for the Estate to release Michael's music videos in HD/Blu-Ray, particularly following the disappointment at the Vision package.

Subsequently, many have expressed concern over the costly nature of this task and the sheer amount of work required to recreate the digital effects etc. for such a project.

To me this is something that feels really important. Not only for now, but for generations to come to enhance and preserve Michael's visual masterpieces. When I look at Michael's videos broadcasting on television today they look so messed up, cropped and stretched and worse than SD. The magic is of course still there, but I feel these works of art deserve to prosper and be seen, really in the way they were meant to be. The quality of the videos doing the rounds today just leaves a LOT to be desired to me.

So the idea I had was largely fantasy, but practically it makes a lot of sense to me...

Could the Estate not handpick say 5-7 of Michael's most noteworthy music videos, transfer them into HD, remaster, yaddy yaddy yadda, do accompanying short making ofs and impact retrospectives etc. with the directors and whoever else and then release individually onto Blu-ray and/or do a television special? Each week a new video released/shown on television - similar to the Visionary project I guess.

With Bad Wembley the quality was poor, we all knew that, so I wonder how many people didn't bother to buy physical copies and just watched on youtube etc? I'm sure a blu-ray project like this would sell extremely well amongst fans AND the public. The public have all sorts of opinions when it comes to Michael, we know that. But one thing there's rarely any argument over is Michael's dominance and brilliance in the music video medium. I think a series like this would get a fair amount of attention. Additionally, with the posthumous albums, and the holograms and whatever else, there's always a question over whether this is the right thing to do by Michael but I can't see how anyone would object in theory to a project such as this. What I couldn't really say is if the cost to make it would be prohibitive etc. I know some of the short films had effects that were edited on video and would need to be re-created. It seems this would indeed be an expensive undertaking.

But you look at Jaws and The Wizard of Oz and whatever other audio visual marvel, they have all had the remaster Blu-ray treatment due to their importance. To me Michael's short films are just as important.

I'd be interested to know what everyone thought.

Could the Estate not handpick say 5-7 of Michael's most noteworthy music videos, transfer them into HD, remaster, yaddy yaddy yadda, do accompanying short making ofs and impact retrospectives etc. with the directors and whoever else and then release individually onto Blu-ray and/or do a television special? Each week a new video released/shown on television

Why not do all of them? I love the thought of making ofs, retrospectives, directors, et al, featuring Michael Jackson short films every week on television. The formats available now remain hugely popular.

I love the idea and if it were on TV like MTV or VH1 or something it would achieve the purpose of introducing Michael to the new generation. Pretty much the way I discovered Shirley Temple back in the day with her weekly Saturday show.
I still watch my old copy of The Making of Thriller and I LOVED Bad 25 doc, just wanted more of it.
If they do a series on tours I'd add the "Motown to Showtime" stuff and the "dangerous" rehearsals. I love watching them more than the show.
The possibilities are endless. There's so much material.

The easy way would just be do the ones like Thriller or Ghosts as standalone releases.

I really hope they put the money into doing all the videos. And I'm talking going as far back as CAN YOU FEEL IT. That video is dying to unearth the film reels and completely remake the effects.

If and when they do so, they should REALLY emphasize the work it took to make it (like the recent Star Trek The Next Generation Blu Rays. They had to go back to the film reels and recut every episode and redo all the visual effects).

AND 5.1 AUDIO MIX LIKE THE DAMN HISTORY/DANGEROUS DVDS!!

If they do it and have to re-make some of the effects it's imperative that they don't try to "improve" the effects or modernize them. They need to get them as close as humanly possible to the original effects. They need to do it with lover, care and detail. Not quickly, cheaply and just for a profit.

Why not do all of them? I love the thought of making ofs, retrospectives, directors, et al, featuring Michael Jackson short films every week on television. The formats available now remain hugely popular.

Don't get me wrong I'd love the whole lot, and I'd buy them all individually no problem. But if the cost really was an issue, I figured a small number of 'highlights' might make a more successful business model as it were.

Since yesterday I was wondering about the cropping. You know a lot of MJ's videos were shot on film, but nearly all have a 4:3 screen ratio.

I'd love to see them in a widescreen format, is that possible? Is that altering Michael's vision if so?

I guess we can be pretty certain Thriller will end up getting this treatment. But it'd be nice to see more than just that.

Don't get me wrong I'd love the whole lot, and I'd buy them all individually no problem. But if the cost really was an issue, I figured a small number of 'highlights' might make a more successful business model as it were.

I agree with you. (I have to keep my insatiable desire for all things MJ in check. :laugh:) I also love the idea of something like this being available on MTV, vh1, BET. :yes:

Isnt there someone that already does his videos in HD on youtube hang on see if i can find them *two mins*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey8mzM5_MPI

there is one but got to admit it doesnt look HD, but if this was an idea of releasing all his videos on blue ray etc i would be up for it

That's not how making his videos into true HD works...

capt-picard-facepalm-2.gif

I definitely agree with the idea of picking a select few. As much as I love Michael's short films/music videos, those filmed for Off the Wall (Don't Stop, Rock With You, She's Out of My Life) are all extremely boring in comparison to ones Michael would make only three years later. "Making of" featurettes can't shed any interesting light on them, I would imagine.

I think they should just remaster and reair the Making of Thriller.

Don't you think a Blu Ray of a Bad Tour is more of a priority for most fans than another Short Films release ?

I definitely agree with the idea of picking a select few. As much as I love Michael's short films/music videos, those filmed for Off the Wall (Don't Stop, Rock With You, She's Out of My Life) are all extremely boring in comparison to ones Michael would make only three years later. "Making of" featurettes can't shed any interesting light on them, I would imagine.

I think they should just remaster and reair the Making of Thriller.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't even look like the Off The Wall videos were even shot on film. All looks like tape (She's Out Of My Life definitly is tape). So they wouldn't even be able to do much with those.

Since yesterday I was wondering about the cropping. You know a lot of MJ's videos were shot on film, but nearly all have a 4:3 screen ratio.

I'd love to see them in a widescreen format, is that possible? Is that altering Michael's vision if so?

I guess we can be pretty certain Thriller will end up getting this treatment. But it'd be nice to see more than just that.

Vision Smision!
4:3 was just the basic standard for videos back in the day.

However:

As I mentioned with the Star Trek TNG blu rays, they ran into the same issue.

All of the episodes were presented/transferred in HD, but 4:3 ratio because that's how all of the episodes were framed.
Regardless if the film prints had the full 16:9 frame or not, they didn't film it with that in mind. SO, it's possible there were set pieces/lights/cables/boom mics/film crew off to the sides for whatever reason.

MEANING, even if the prints are 16:9, it wasn't ever the final desired framing so there could always be unwanted things visible outside the 4:3 space.

So they could still do HD transfers and re-do effects, but it would need to remain 4:3. Which is fine if that's what the final actual video turned out to be.

But some of the videos (like Thriller or Ghosts) were shot with the 16:9 frame in mind for theatrical screenings and such.

Also, more info on the Star Trek Blu Rays.
This info applies to any project where they need to go back to film prints or re-create effects:

The original show was shot with an aspect ratio of 4:3 and edited and postprocessed with standard resolution in mind. The final visual effects were created only in standard resolution, e.g. all exterior shots of the starship Enterprise, phaser fire or beaming fade-ins and -outs. To include such footage on Blu-ray, using only a picture blow-up, would have resulted in a larger, but blurred image and, when watched on a wide-screen TV set, the common black bars on the left and right edge of the image.

CBS decided to use a more detailed approach to bring the show to high-definition, adhering to the 4:3 aspect ratio for different reasons (mainly original intention when filming)

A news release on startrek.com announced on September 28, 2011, in celebration of the series' twenty-fifth anniversary, that Star Trek: The Next Generation would be completely re-mastered in 1080p high definition from original 35 mm film negatives (consisting of almost 25,000 reels of original film stock). Effects would be recomposed from their large-format negatives specifically for each episode, accompanied by 7.1 DTS Master Audio.

An initial disc featuring the episodes "Encounter at Farpoint", "Sins of the Father", and "The Inner Light" was released on January 31, 2012 under the label "The Next Level". The six-disc first season set was released on July 24, 2012, and the second season was released in a five-disc set on December 4, 2012. The third season was released on April 30, 2013. Eventually, the entire re-mastered series will be available for Blu-ray release, television syndication, and digital distribution. Mike Okuda believes this is the largest film restoration project ever attempted.

Don't you think a Blu Ray of a Bad Tour is more of a priority for most fans than another Short Films release ?

Both desirable. But I reckon the short films would have way more impact. Particularly if they were heralded with TV retrospective documentaries etc. I think attention to Michael Jackson's art would benefit greatly from it. Not to mention that the videos would be in a format making them fit for the future. When you watch videos like Bad on large HD screens on modern television channels, it looks pretty horrendous.

Sure a Bad tour blu-ray would be lovely. But it's more of a one time thing. Michael's music videos air constantly, every day, in countries across the world.

Also, more info on the Star Trek Blu Rays.
This info applies to any project where they need to go back to film prints or re-create effects:

Have they ever commented on how successful this project was. Did it make money?

All short films should be released in HD on Blu-Ray. The snippets that can be seen in Moonwalker Blu-Ray are awesome! I really hope Estate is taking a good care of the film material they have(short films, concerts and studio footage).

Here are great short documentaries about film restoration if somebody is interested:

Last edited:
They should release all short films, movies and concerts that they can create feature length releases from.. anything is possible! airing's of his footage is only gonna get worse as they will continue to be upscaled from old mtv beta tapes! his work needs to be digitized and shown publicly in the highest resolution possible, to cement his genius for further generations.

I was just thinking about this today. special effects technology has surely improved since the time these videos were originally recorded, so I doubt a HD Blu-Ray compilation shouldn't cost more than the production of a single music video. I'm sure they have all the blu-prints saved for each video, so I doubt this is that intense of a project. I just don't think they have thought about doing such a project. The music industry is always the last to catch on to these types of things, so i'm not surprised. The movie industry has to do the same thing for an entire movie, so this is definitely possible.

Have they ever commented on how successful this project was. Did it make money?

Season 1 of the blu ray release in its first week of release: 95,000 units and generated $5.73 million in revenue.

Reading your post actually got me excited about seeing behind the scenes footage of the "Off The Wall" videos and also "Can You Feel It?" Can you imagine? I am so thrilled whenever I see some kind of black and white photo of them working on those-I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT if somebody happened to even have some kind of home movie camera filming them filming!!!!!

Back