I just love certain parts of Michael's Songs (Instruments/Sound Appreciation)

Gonetoosoon

Proud Member
Now as we are all avid listeners of Michael's masterpieces, we have no doubt observed the differing layers of instrumentation and sounds within his work. A great majority of what was released by Michael came from within his own head.

Which parts of songs do you appreciate most from a instrumental, sound or sonic point of view? Which are your favourite sections of songs that really move you? Which passages have you subtly noticed by opening up your ear and really listening?

I have many but he's a few. Excuse my lack of musical knowledge surrounding different types of instruments..

-In 2000 Watts near the end of the song (around 4:07) we hear a transition from one drum set to the next - which rings out till the end of the song.

-In Privacy with about 20 seconds to go we hear a great sequence of deep drums which travel from left to right and back again. The song concludes with a very faint siren in the background

-Don't Walk Away - the beautiful strings ahhh ^_^

-Darling Dear - I love the bass that goes throughout the whole piece. It's so Michael :)

I've got plenty more but too many to write here! Those are just off my head.

Anyone got their own favourite moments from Michael's songs?

Last edited:
One of my favourites is the beginning of "Who Is It". The beat and the violins sound soooo amazing!

Keep it in the closet towards the ending when michael does the adlibs (I dont know). The instrumentation o that part is unebelieveble great!

The Lost Children instrumental, I really enjoy it.

Leave me Alone, well.. what can I say, it's just so funky!

Dirty Diana, The chorus is very powerful, but the verses have such an awesome mood to it... I love it.

Stranger In Moscow, Nuff Said.

Why You Wanna Trip On Me, I LOVE the intro to this song.

Billie Jean, Nuff Said.

Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, Nuff Said.

Childhood, Nuff Said.

Little Susie, Nuff Said.

His entire freaking catalogue... Nuff Said :p

The Piano in Is It Scary

and the hiccups...! He has a way of altering his sound of hiccups with the mood of the song...I feel they are haunting hiccups in Is It Scary...very cooL!

I know this thread is about instruments, but of course, Mike's voice was an instrument :D

I really love the little guitar part at the ending of Stranger in Moscow...do do Dooo do do do do.. :D

The Instrumentals in Hold My Hand
The Violin?? intro to You Rock my World
The Intro to Got to be There

Was listening to Beat It, Thriller and Black Or White this morning and noticed the bass that goes throughout all of those songs. So subtle but really enjoyable. I find for example during the solo of Beat It you can notice other really enjoyable sounds behind what's most obvious. There's something to be found in every corner of a Michael song. It just depends on where you choose to focus your ear!

For instrumentals

Liberian Girl
Stranger in Moscow
In the Back
Morphine
Human Nature
Who Is It
Billie Jean (Bassline)
I Can't Help It

and as I'm listening to it now Van Halen's guitar solo on Beat It. Don't ask me about the instruments on the others because I'm pretty much a moron when it comes to instruments lol.

i love the piano in Stranger in Moscow.
also the instrumentation of
the Lost children (after the last chorus!)
Monkey Business (the Organ/Keyboard)
Heaven Can Wait (The Beginning before the Chorus starts)

I could probably think of many certain parts in almost every Song :)

Great thread!

The beat in Billie Jean and the riff in Black Or White.

Back