I Heard It Through The Grapevine

DuranDuran

Proud Member
These are the different versions of this classic. Although the version by Gladys Knight & The Pips was the one released 1st, the ones by The Miracles and Marvin Gaye were recorded before the Pips version. The Miracles version was never a single, but just an album track. Gladys wasn't happy about the Marvin take (which had been rejected for release earlier by Berry Gordy) was released as a single a year after hers was a hit.
[youtube]LOFzn_5alVE[/youtube]

Creedence Clearwater Revival

I've always like the long instrumental jam on this one. Air guitar, lol.
[youtube]0teFWakgTyA[/youtube]

Roger Troutman

This was a big jam in 1981.
[youtube]B49lSz-bSyQ[/youtube]

For indie rock 'n' roll fans, I've always loved this cover by the Kaiser Chiefs.
Reminicent of early ska (esp. Specials)

[youtube]z2U7DQ_i3Pg[/youtube]

Re: Marvin Gaye

Holy Cow, theses folks there don't have a single hair moving on them? That's almost creepy to watch!
I don't remember the name of this TV show, but it was one that generally appealed to an older audience and not screaming teenagers, lol. Actually, during the 1960's on some of the youth music shows (except dance type programs like Shindig or American Bandstand), the audience just sat there politely and then applauded at the end. It was similar to going to see an opera or something.

I know, I know, it's just that most chamber music or opera audience showed more reaction even in the 60ies than those guys. Can you imagine being Marvin Gaye and they all just sit there like stones? That's gotta be strange for any performer.
I've heard many acts say in interviews that they were used to screaming kids or people dancing during a concert, and then go to Japan where there was no reaction from the audience, and the performers thought that the Japanese didn't like them. But at the end of the concert, the audience suddenly erupted in cheers and applause.

Back