I feel intimidated by my Manager. I need help...

JenAndMichaelForever

Proud Member
Hi, i started a job in a supermarket about 3 months ago. Most of the staff there are fairly new. I have a supervisor (not so much a manager) whos female and pretty young (early 30's) who I feel extremely intimidated by.

I'm generally a quiet person and I don't talk a whole lot to the supervisor or co workers. Id rather do my work and I am really nice and kind to all the customers. I do my job well.

When I don't know how to do something, she thinks I should just know how to do it. And when I ask for help, she acts like its a chore to come and help me. I can tell my her expressions and tone in her voice. I see her with other co workers and see her laughing and joking with them, but when i need help, the smile goes from her face and I feel like she hates me.

Every day I feel depressed in work and whenever she walks by me I feel so intimidated. I'm always on the lookout for her and I feel like I need to do something more to impress her, even though I'm already doing my work to the best of my abilities.

I feel that because I'm quiet she feels like she can say anything she wants to me.

I would look for another job but there isn't anything out there at the moment. What can I do for myself to not feel so intimidated by her. Because every day I am miserable at work.

On days that she has a day off, I feel "free". I feel so much more confident knowing she isn't around. But most days she is there and I am so unhappy and frightened all day.

Please help me?

I am work in the grocery field too, so I can relate. Is it union? I am in the union, and they really help you when you feel like you are being treated unfairly.

You can also try talking to the store manager too. Sounds like she just works in the cash office, and assists when there are problems. See your general manager. (The real one in charge)

Hope I helped.

Ugh, sounds like my boss when I first started. It's normal to feel like that though, since you are new. She sees you as a stranger now, and perhaps is trying to test your ability to perform the job the right way. Once you get the hang of it, I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable with her, and she will give you more confidence. Just be nice and talk to her from time to time lol, she will eventually like you, and if not, oh well, not everybody is going to like you in this world. Just be confident, and do your job.

Hi, i started a job in a supermarket about 3 months ago. Most of the staff there are fairly new. I have a supervisor (not so much a manager) whos female and pretty young (early 30's) who I feel extremely intimidated by.

I'm generally a quiet person and I don't talk a whole lot to the supervisor or co workers. Id rather do my work and I am really nice and kind to all the customers. I do my job well.

When I don't know how to do something, she thinks I should just know how to do it. And when I ask for help, she acts like its a chore to come and help me. I can tell my her expressions and tone in her voice. I see her with other co workers and see her laughing and joking with them, but when i need help, the smile goes from her face and I feel like she hates me.

Every day I feel depressed in work and whenever she walks by me I feel so intimidated. I'm always on the lookout for her and I feel like I need to do something more to impress her, even though I'm already doing my work to the best of my abilities.

I feel that because I'm quiet she feels like she can say anything she wants to me.

I would look for another job but there isn't anything out there at the moment. What can I do for myself to not feel so intimidated by her. Because every day I am miserable at work.

On days that she has a day off, I feel "free". I feel so much more confident knowing she isn't around. But most days she is there and I am so unhappy and frightened all day.

Please help me?

Have you tried asking your team members for help when there is something that you don't know how to do? It seems like she's singling you out or is really impatient. Just be polite to her.

Don't feel like you need to do something to impress her. Just do your best at work. I also agree with Earth_Song1 about talking to somebody higher up like the manager. You could talk to HR (Human Relations) about it too. Just be careful with that though. I know of situations where the HR/Team Leader goes back to the person and says 'Oh so-and-so says you are bullying her and hate her.' Let the HR/General Manager/Team Leader know that it's affecting how you feel at work-clearly it is; you said you feel unhappy and frightened all day.

i guess you guys only help people who say they feel like killing themselves. thanks for your guys help..

:eek:hmy2:

Just because you didn't receive a reply two hours after your original post doesn't mean people don't care.

Have you tried asking your team members for help when there is something that you don't know how to do? It seems like she's singling you out or is really impatient. Just be polite to her.

Don't feel like you need to do something to impress her. Just do your best at work. I also agree with Earth_Song1 about talking to somebody higher up like the manager. You could talk to HR (Human Relations) about it too. Just be careful with that though. I know of situations where the HR/Team Leader goes back to the person and says 'Oh so-and-so says you are bullying her and hate her.' Let the HR/General Manager/Team Leader know that it's affecting how you feel at work-clearly it is; you said you feel unhappy and frightened all day.

:eek:hmy2:

Just because you didn't receive a reply two hours after your original post doesn't mean people don't care.

Yeah, sometimes we do not see new threads right away. We all care here.

Back