i didn't know michael has a total of 19 grammy awards

billyworld99

Proud Member
i've always thought it was 13

The Grammy Awards (originally called the Gramophone Awards)—or Grammys—are presented annually by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences of the United States for outstanding achievements in the music industry. The awards ceremony features performances by prominent artists, and some of the awards of more popular interest are presented in a widely-viewed televised ceremony.

Jackson has won a total of nineteen awards throughout his career. In 1984, he won a record eight Grammy Awards.[20]

In 1993 he was awarded the Grammy Legend Award. In 2010, he was awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, accepted by his children, Prince and Paris and their cousins, 3T.

Year Nominated work Award Result
1980 "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" Best Male R&B Vocal Performance Won
1984 Thriller Album of the Year Won
"Beat It" Record of the Year Won
Thriller (with Quincy Jones) Producer of the Year Won
"Billie Jean" Best R&B Song Won
"Someone in the Dark" Best Recording for Children (Narration) Won
"Thriller" Best Male Vocal Performance (Pop) Won
"Billie Jean" Best Male Vocal Performance (R&B) Won
"Beat It" Best Male Vocal Performance (Rock) Won "The Girl Is Mine" (with Paul McCartney) Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals Nominated
"Billie Jean" Song of the Year Nominated
"Beat It" Song of the Year Nominated
1985 The Making of Thriller Best Long Form Video Won
1986 "We Are the World" (with Lionel Richie) Song of the Year Won
We Are the World Record of the Year Won
We Are the World Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal Won
We Are the World Best Music Video, Short Form Won
1988 Bad Album of the Year Nominated
"The Way You Make Me Feel" Best Performance Music Video Won
"Bad" Best Male Vocal Performance (Pop) Nominated
1989 "Man In The Mirror" Record of the Year Nominated
1990 "Leave Me Alone" Best Short Form Music Video Won
"Moonwalker" Best Long Form Music Video Nominated
1993 Living Legend Award Won
"Black Or White" Best Male Vocal Performance (Pop) Nominated
"Jam" Best R&B Song Nominated
1996 "Scream" Best Short Form Music Video Won
HIStory Past Present & Future Album of the Year Nominated
"You Are Not Alone" Best Male Vocal Performance (Pop) Nominated
"Scream" Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals Nominated
1997 "Earth Song" Best Short Form Music Video Nominated
2002 "You Rock My World" Best Male Vocal Performance (Pop) Nominated
2010 Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award Won

[edit] Grammy Hall of Fame
Two of Jackson's albums were inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2008.[21] The Jackson 5 song, "I Want You Back", was inducted in 1999.[21]

Year Nominated work Award Result
1999 "I Want You Back" (with The Jackson 5) Grammy Hall of Fame Inducted
2008 Thriller Grammy Hall of Fame Inducted
2008 Off the Wall Grammy Hall of Fame Inducted

I don't think they count the grammys that were won for WATW and the 1993 Living Legend Award. That's why MJ is listed as having 14 total Grammy Awards imo.

Last edited:
Who cares about the grammys nowadays.it's lost its lustre.It's now divided into so many genres now,that any tom,dick and harry can win it.it's more of politics ,you cant compare its prestige to the oscars or its relevancy in the past.

Who cares about the grammys nowadays.it's lost its lustre.It's now divided into so many genres now,that any tom,dick and harry can win it.it's more of politics ,you cant compare its prestige to the oscars or its relevancy in the past.

yeah that's true but the grammys still had an important value to in the 70's, 80's and even 90's which all of these awards was won in those time periods but i agree nowadays people win grammys b/c they are popualar with the young crowds not so much how good the quality of the artist's music, lil wayne won four grammys in 2009, taylor swift, ciara won songs but it was mainly b/c it they were popilar during that year i think maxwell should have won album of the year for this years grammys but i think beyonce won it

One Jazz female singer (I dont know her exact name) has won 26 Grammys, so who cares about her...?

U2 have 22, Stevie Wonder 20, Beyoncé 16 if Im correct...

One Jazz female singer (I dont know her exact name) has won 26 Grammys, so who cares about her...?

U2 have 22, Stevie Wonder 20, Beyoncé 16 if Im correct...

the one with 26 grammys i think its barbra streistand, yeah beyonce has 16 and one 6 in one which is a record for a female artist and stevie has the most for a solo artist and u2 i don't really know who they are so i'm going check them out on youtube

Ridiculous how Beyonce or even Barbara Streistand won that much and MJ with 14 or 19. He deserves to be the most awarded artist. Really bewilders me!!

yeah that's true but the grammys still had an important value to in the 70's, 80's and even 90's which all of these awards was won in those time periods but i agree nowadays people win grammys b/c they are popualar with the young crowds not so much how good the quality of the artist's music, lil wayne won four grammys in 2009, taylor swift, ciara won songs but it was mainly b/c it they were popilar during that year i think maxwell should have won album of the year for this years grammys but i think beyonce won it

You are right,that is why I said " it's relevancy in the past" .The awards were prestigious till the 90's, afterward everything kind of fell apart.that is why its ratings has been declining over the years and only had an uptick this year because of the MJ tribute.
Taylor swift won album of the year but beyonce won song of the year.maxwell should have won album of the year,like you said,grammys is a popularity contest now and no longer based on quality.
It's sad that U2 have more grammys than the beatles and beyonce have 16 grammys for saccharine pop songs.It's sad that mj has only 14 and bad didnt receive a single grammy.

the one with 26 grammys i think its barbra streistand, yeah beyonce has 16 and one 6 in one which is a record for a female artist and stevie has the most for a solo artist and u2 i don't really know who they are so i'm going check them out on youtube

no, its not Barbara Streisand, I dont know exact name of the singer.

But Michael has more Grammys than Elvis and The Beatles together... :punk::dont_mention_it:
I dont think the Grammy awards are the gauge of quality of artists.

no, its not Barbara Streisand, I dont know exact name of the singer.

But Michael has more Grammys than Elvis and The Beatles together... :punk::dont_mention_it:
I dont think the Grammy awards are the gauge of quality of artists.

how many did elvis and the beatles won?

and mj is the most awarded entertaine ever

Jackson's other achievements include 13 Guinness World Records—including one for "Most Successful Entertainer of All Time"—19 Grammy Awards, 26 American Music Awards, 12 World Music Awards and the sale of over 780 million units worldwide.[3] Winning numerous awards for his humanitarian endeavors, the singer has been honoured by two Presidents of the United States. He has also been named as the artist of "the Decade", "Generation", "Century", and "Millenium" and was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2002. He is the most awarded artist of all time [4] and has more Guinness World Records than any other artist.[

beatles won 7
elvis 3 plus a lifetime achievement awards.

Michael only has 14 grammys. He won those grammys during a time period when awards were really about TALENT and not about popularity. Anytime Beyonce and U2 can have more grammys than Prince, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, James Brown??? you know a grammy means absolutely nothing... The grammys and award shows GIVE out awards to artists who are POPULAR its not about TALENT anymore and even though all these great artists should have won more grammys based on the prestigeous title the grammys use to hold it doesnt matter because they are ALL legends that innovated music and they dont need no award to prove that.

No no, Alison Krauss is the one with 26 awards, Streisand wouldn't have as many as Michael, who was (for one reason or another....) meanly shunned by the Grammys for everything he released post-Thriller...

agree

Anyone wins a Grammy nowadays. Its the same with the Oscars. Anyone wins an Oscar now. All these ceremonies that used to be so prestisious have lost that value. MJ winning 8 awards in one night is simply phenomenal when you consider it was the mid 80s. Winning 8 awards now would be a huge deal but not like it was then. It was unheard of to do it but you know Michael, when someone told him something couldn't be done he managed to do it that left everyone spellbound.

Back