I Am a Fan, But... (What Makes You Heretic Among Other Fans?)

I think MJs mammoth success does actually take away from other artist's and overall respect for the craft. Sometimes it is fair to "not" mention him at times.

That hardly means the Beyonce stans and the Chris Brown stans have any clue what they're talking about.

This doesn't really apply to Michael's music, or his fanbase in general...but I remember feeling like a totally conflicted outcast for wanting to believe in him during the original 1993 allegations period. I still listened to some of his songs at the time, and I usually enjoyed doing so, but deep in my heart all I could think was, "My God...what if he actually did this?"

To understand my reaction, you have to remember that the world was very different 30 years ago. The Internet was in its infancy (I'm not even sure if it had gone public at the time), and so most entertainment news was still controlled by the mainstream press outlets and the tabloids. If you wanted to know something about a famous person's life or behavior, those were pretty much your only two options. When Michael and his reps settled with the Chandlers and the public got wind of it, that alone was all they needed to brand him a pedophile...and he spent the last 16 years of his life trying to escape that decision. When the second allegations happened, I just started thinking "Oh God, not again", and because everything was online now it was 100 times worse. When he was found innocent, I was definitely relieved, but I still had some lingering doubts. Reading Aphrodite Jones' book "Michael Jackson Conspiracy" helped calm my thoughts and emotions down a lot, though.

The periods of doubt were even more terrible at the time when we didn't yet have the proof... My God...

Now, thank God, we know a lot about what happened back then, but that wasn't the case at the time it happened.

Otherwise, what makes me a little original compared to other fans and that I prefer Invincible to History. It's a competition between the two, for me Invincible is better.

In fact the other heretical thing is that I am the only one in the global fandom to deeply hate History and everything that even remotely concerns it. Whether it's its promotion (pushed to its maximum, going as far as derivative products like snowshoes... when will History diapers for your baby? Don't forget to buy the History shelves with the gold logo to place your books relating to the album and also the History dentures for your great-grandfather John who threatens to die at any moment, give him this beautiful gift especially if he does not know or no longer knows who Michael Jackson is , the Godfather of Music because of Alzheimer's *wink*... Even Bad did not benefit from such a level of promotion), to the album through the clips, the tour ( gold pants *3*) and Michael's short straight bob haircut (rips the beautiful long hair from bad at L'Oréal Shanghai).

More seriously, I have the impression that the era had an impact on a lot of fans. It is often referenced en masse in the world of collectors as well as many other fans which makes this era more annoying in my opinion. We often talk about the History Tour, Taj's website refers to the title of the album, the album is cited as being one of the best of his career. For me, in the long run it annoys me a little (I'm in a French fandom, there it's 98% History, 2% the other albums except Invincible which is 0% - there was even a magazine special at that time). BUT as long as it's Michael, it's ok ^u^ He was always as cute as whipped cream during this period and he always helped poor people. In the end that's what counts <3

When I first discovered MJ's tours they seemed like the best ever (he was the first artist that I did a deep dive into their work). But time has passed and as much as I love his live performances, they're full of missed oportunities and repetitiveness - which would lead me to frustration if I were alive when he was an active performer. For example, if I were a fan in 1987 and discovered that his new tour was pratically exactly the same as his previous (with his brothers even, and now dancers are doing their parts), I'd be mad. DWT and HWT were almost identical in several parts with just switched songs - Human Nature and Stranger in Moscow for example. The first song would always be preceded by him just standing there. J5 Medley was the same since forever. And so on.

I didn't know there was a text limit, you teach me something... notice it wasn't written in the rules then... 🙃
There is no text limit. Members should feel free to express themselves as they want, obvious rules apply - maintain the language respectful, no mis-information etc.

The Smooth Criminal hate in here is making me nauseous!

Mine:

HIStory is so much better written than any other MJ album.

The Smooth Criminal video is better than Thriller.

I don't really care for Remember The Time, especially the video. Jam is miles better.

Dangerous and Invincible have no Grammys, the rest of Michael's solo albums with Sony do. That's wholly accurate in terms of MJ's albums' quality.
no dangerous deserved a grammy fs invincible sucked

Any of Michael's albums are better than the best album made by any other artist.
Off the Wall is the weakest of his studio albums
The Lady in My Life should have been replaced with Carousel
Paul's version is wholly inferior to the solo home demo of The Girl is Mine
Another Part of Me (Captain EO version) is better than anything on "Bad" other than Man in the Mirror and Liberian Girl

• You Rock My World is underrated but MJ’s dancing sucked in the video.
  • -Can't Let Her Get Away is a very good and catchy song.
  • Invincible album is painful to listen to and awful.
  • I skip PYT and the Way You Make Me Feel, those songs suck.
  • Michael made excuses for himself and probably lied a lot.
  • Using lip-syncing as a crutch is frustrating.
  • A lot of his songs I can’t listen to on a regular basis.
  • Cry, The Lost Children, the Earth Song, Heal the World, break dawn suck.
  • Childhood sucks.
  • Butterflies and You are my life suck
  • Off the Wall is underrated but I never want to listen to any of the songs.
  • Dangerous needed to be condensed. In the closet, remember the time, jam, heal the world, gone too soon, we’ll you be there sucked and didn’t need to be in it.
  • His little underwear costume is ridiculous
  • Made himself look suspicious
  • Tired of him saying I DIDN’T HAVE A CHILDHOOD
  • Victory tour sucked
  • Ds/Come together cheesy live but decent songs
  • Streetwalker and speed demon are pretty decent.
  • Moonwalker sucked

• Whatzupwitu is good
  • Michael victimized himself too much on interviews
  • kinda narcissistic
  • I don't agree or disagree with (some of) the allegations
  • Bad era is good
  • Don’t like the children choirs and the stage acts
  • Most of Michael's rap features were pointless fillers.
  • “Heaven Can Wait” is a mediocre song
  • Rarely listen to thriller album
  • not big on Jackson 5

yeah I pretty much agree with a little bit of everyone

• Childhood sucks.
  • Dangerous needed to be condensed. In the closet, remember the time, jam, heal the world, gone too soon, we’ll you be there sucked and didn’t need to be in it.
  • Victory tour sucked
  • Moonwalker sucked

• Whatzupwitu is good
  • kinda narcissistic
  • Bad era is good
  • not big on Jackson 5

I am kind of curious to see how big your list of things you love is because the negatives are huge 😀

• Childhood sucks.
  • Victory tour sucked
  • Moonwalker sucked

• Whatzupwitu is good
  • kinda narcissistic
  • Bad era is good
  • not big on Jackson 5

I’ve reported you for this one. Hopefully you’ll be removed soon. Maybe go and get a hobby, or better still, a life. You have no business on here.

I would encourage fans to report this clown.

I'm not sure how to take away bullet points all together so I did it individually which was a pain :(

Correction to your list guccigirl123 or whatever your name is.

You Rock My World IS underrated. The dance off scene is absolutely incredibly. I never fast forward through the video because the dancing is phenomenal :)

Can't Let Her Get Away is catchy and it's fast which I love! It makes me feel as if I'm wanted and special inside. I'm not sure why I cry to it.

The Invincible album isn't my favorite but Heaven Can Wait, Heartbreaker, Whatever Happens and You Are My Life are good and sweet listens.

P.Y.T and the Way You Make Me Feel, I don't listen to a lot but whenever I do they always pick me up and brighten my smile.

Try to dance and sing live. I sometimes am disappointed that he lip-synced a good bit. I think somewhere else someone said they wished he realized his concerts didn't need to be theatrical, and have a lot of special effects. I second that, his fans were there for him. Being in the same room as MJ is enough and breathtaking and awe inspiring. I'm not dissing his concerts or lip sync. They were one of a kind, non replicable, timeless concerts no doubt but simpler is where the sweet spot is at :)

There is a song for everyone. Michael is that creative, intuitive and understanding; Cry, The Lost Children, the Earth Song, Heal the World, Break Dawn, Childhood might not be for everyone. I must admit I'm not heads over heels in love with them but someone out there is touched by those melodies. Don't reduce them to nothing.

Off the Wall is underrated. I think everyone should take some time to listen to the album even if it's not your taste because it is a gem and classic. I don't listen much to the Thriller album at the moment but I love how transitional, fresh, inventive and awe-inspiring each album and era of MJ is.

Dangerous did need to be condensed. It's top tier but lengthy. Jam, Heal the World, Gone Too Soon, We’ll You Be There aren't my personal favorites but there's a song for everyone and every song is a story and has a life of its own. Actually Jam had grown on me especially after watching the video ;)

I don't prefer his underwear costume...I'm not sure what it's called but the gold fabric and just style from that era is heavenly.

The he made himself look suspicious accusation is a loaded statement. I do think that he should have adhered to the advice - to avoid being around children after the allegations - so all the drama could die down a bit. I'm a hard headed person. It takes a lot to change my mind. I don't always appreciate honesty because sometimes it hurts my feelings and makes me feel as if I'm doing everything wrong and that my thoughts, feelings, beliefs, sentiments are invalid or retarded. I'M NOT SAYING MJ IS ME AT ALL BUT SOMETIMES ITS HARD TO ADMIT YOU'RE ACTING NAIVELY OR WITHOUT GOOD JUDGEMENT AND ITS EQUALLY AS HARD TO GIVE UP SOMETHING YOU LOVE AND HAVE A HEART FOR, FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR REPUTATION, MARRIAGE, PERSONAL GROWTH, CAREER, FRIENDSHIPS ETC. I love my way being the highway but sometimes it best for me to follow the advice of those who can see five steps ahead and love me.

**HE DIDN'T HAVE A CHILDHOOD PERIOD. NO CHILD STAR HAS A CHILDHOOD. THEY ARE MONEY MAKING MACHINES FROM BIRTH.

I'm not a diehard fan of the rap in his songs either. I'm an old soul so maybe that why. I admire and appreciate how he included and experimented with all forms of genres, and styles and tried to harmonize them :)

I think the Victory Tour was a needed transitional time - from the Jackson 5 era to THE Michael Jackson. I think it gave fans a time to mourn and cherish the old and commend and celebrate the new.

If I'm honest I have never been a Jackson 5 fan but my favorite song by them is I'll be there. It always makes me tear up and feel regret for why me and my four siblings didn't follow in their footsteps lol :) I love their bond too.

I loved D.S./Come Together mixed together. I do they wish they were preformed live and not lip synced but individually and together I LOVE those songs.

Whatzupwitu is cute/catchy and Streetwalker and Speed Demon are phenomenal. Moonwalker isn't my favorite but it's a classic no doubt.

BAD era is pretty. I wasn't a diehard fan of children choirs and the stages acts either but I LOVE how they demonstrated how his music and artistry wasn't just one genre or type. He wasn't just rock, R&B or ballads, he mixed and crossed and invented so many different faces/genres/styles/rythmns to himself and his music. He thought outside the box. I think his heart for children and humanity is so lovely and lovable.

This one is probably going to get me reported and I apologize in advance. Only God and MJ knows what the truth is about the allegations. I know we have evidence, reports, testimonies and experts but at the end of the day, the creator and creation only know. I know there's probably fans on either end of the spectrum no judgement. At the moment - go ahead and report me for trolling - I'm not sure what side I'm on. I independently want to keep educating myself about the ordeal. I WILL not rally against, or harass or judge anyone else to thinks differently :)

I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD CALL ANY OF HIS ALBUMS OR SONGS OR PERFORMANCES MEDIOCRE OR SAY THEY SUCK OR ARE AWFUL.

I'm probably going to get hate or admonished for my post :( but not as much as you guccigirl or gucci123 :)

Last edited:
I kinda like Norm McDonald and think he was funny. Not his insults at MJs expense but many of the other things. Idk, he seemed like a reasonably smart, unfortunately self assured type of tabloid reader.

Back