Hurricane Irene hits the south US & north US

Ms.MJ Fan2007

Proud Member
N.J. prepares for Hurricane Irene, for better or worse

Published: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 7:42 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 7:42 PM

By Star-Ledger Staff
Follow

ShareEmailPrint

National Hurricane CenterThe probability of tropical storm force winds affecting the east coast over the next several days.

What a week.

One day it’s earthquakes, the next it’s a hurricane barreling toward New jersey.

While a rare room-rattling trembler stole the show Tuesday, all eyes are now fixated on Hurricane Irene, the intensifying and expanding tropical system slowly swirling its way toward the East Coast and, perhaps, New Jersey.

The storm’s exact itinerary remains cloudy at best.

"I have to say since I’ve been here, we haven’t had any real bad weather that has concerned me as much as this hurricane," said Paul Kupchok, a Brewster, N.Y., native who has owned a vacation trailer in the Long Beach Island Trailer Park in Holgate for the last 16 years. "They’re talking about it getting pretty rough here."

Irene rumbled across the Bahamas today packing winds in excess of 120 mph and appears poised to impact North Carolina tomorrow before tracking north off the New Jersey coast Sunday.

"Irene could track as far west as Pennsylvania or far enough offshore that it wouldn’t affect any of us," Anthony Gigi, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Mount Holly, said today afternoon. "It’s too early to tell."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/post_229.html Be papare for this amazing storm :bugeyed

I was watching the update how it looks like it will perhaps,may miss some of Florida and hit the upper East Coast States up through New England even.. Stay Safe. So strange Just like the East Coast Earth Quake the other day on the East Coast of The United States Shook like 10 States. That is a Rarity* for sure.

Blessings

:heart:
souldreamer7

It'll be interesting to see what will actually happen. This is probably the most interesting thing to happen in the area I live--ever. :p

^^ You be safe up there...

Oh wow.. God Bless those who are about to go through that. I had to cancel my Sons trip with his friends due to that. he was to go to the city Raleigh North Carolina... I am glad I made that decision seems like it will be pretty heavy.. Hope you all on the east coast will be alright.

I wouldn't view hurricanes (and other severe weather) as "exciting", like it's a carnival ride or something. These storms can be (and often are) killers. I just want those that are told to evacuate to DO IT. My cousins that live in coastal NC have been told to leave and they have. We're out of the cross hairs of it in Georgia, at the moment.

Here's a storm tracker link I've been keeping an eye on from weather.com. Stay safe, East Coast!

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker

^Of course they are potentially deadly and always devastating, however, by exciting, I mean--it's the first newsworthy thing to come out of the area I live in for a long time, so evereyone is talking/thinking about it. Excitement is not always positive. One can be excited out of fear, or out of anger, for example. Excite, by its very definition, means to arouse the emotions. Think of the term like an emotion amplifier--so that, whatever it is one feels, the magnitude of such emotions exemplifies--it excites. In the general regard, our area can be said to be excited (in this case, out of fear) because of the hurricane.

With that said, I'll make sure to cancel my tubing trip to the New Jersey area. I was going to go anyway, but just for you guys, I won't. :p

Oh, we can most definitely see this one coming...even from space.

HURRICANE-IRENE-NASA-PHOTO.jpg

Although our area is not on the radar for the eye of the storm, there is already a general sense of panic, as people are rushing to the stores and purchasing as much water, non-perishable foodstuffs, and as many batteries/flashlights/lanterns/candles as they can. Seeing as we've already had a particularly rainy spring and summer, I wonder if Irene will cause some areas which are not on the radar for the most dangerous part of the storm to flood. I reckon we'll wait and see.

Interestingly enough, some people are more than willing to "ride it out," including surfers heading to the beaches (despite evacuation) in hopes of riding the big ones.

I've been at my sister's place for almost a week and I feel like I've missed all the big news (they don't have a tv and papers didn't write much about anything either)

Be safe everyone around there!

http://n.pr/oatbLi

First Irene-Related Deaths Reported
Categories: Weather, National News, Accidents and Disasters

by Mark Memmott

The first deaths in the U.S. related to Hurricane Irene to be reported come from North Carolina.

The Raleigh News & Observer writes that:

"Emergency officials in Nash County said a man was crushed to death outside his home by a large limb blown down by the storm. Nash County Emergency Management Director Brian Brantley said the man was walking outside his home in a rural area of the county about 10:20 a.m. today when the limb struck him.

"An unidentified Onslow County man who was putting plywood over the windows of his home suffered a heart attack and died, said Ernie Seneca, spokesman for the N.C. Division of Emergency Management.

"Authorities say another man has been reported missing in the Cape Fear River in Castle Hayne."

The deaths underscore why authorities are strongly urging anyone in an area affected by Irene — even well inland, such as Nash County — to say inside.

Another young man 22 years old dead from surf in Virginia.

I hope everybody will be safe out there!:unsure::angel:A lot of flights to the USA are cancelled here in Germany.

Last night I saw a map on The Weather Channel that showed my area was basically in between the zones of "downed limbs," and "flying debris." :ninja: The rain started here a few hours ago.

Yeah, it's started here a little. I'm hoping things aren't too bad.

It's gotten kinda bad out here, it's raining pretty hard, but it's gonna get worse earlier in the morning so I've gotta be on my watch all night. :S

Irene was downgraded to a tropical storm so that helped. Just outside DC were I live, some overturned tree due to the ground being wet and higher than normal winds. Tress that fell in the road way were cut and removed very quickly. Some places lost power but were restored by this morning. Business as usual in the Northern Virginia area.

Well, I survived Irene. The anticipation of it was a little scary but the actual hurricane didn't turn out as bad as it could've been, thankfully. I was mostly afraid of losing power, internet and cable. My internet and cable did go out for a little while but it quickly came back.

These photos were taken where my mom lives just about a half mile from me:

ByChristina1.jpg

ByChristina2.jpg

ByChristina3.jpg

Wow the last photo looks scary. I hope no one in that building got hurt by the trees!

Well, I survived Irene. The anticipation of it was a little scary but the actual hurricane didn't turn out as bad as it could've been, thankfully. I was mostly afraid of losing power, internet and cable. My internet and cable did go out for a little while but it quickly came back.

These photos were taken where my mom lives just about a half mile from me:

ByChristina1.jpg

ByChristina2.jpg

ByChristina3.jpg

Wow! :eek: And everyone OK here? :unsure: :angel:

Pres. Obama declares N.J. a major disaster area, expedites federal relief funds in Hurricane Irene aftermath

Published: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 5:35 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 6:34 PM

By Matt Friedman/Statehouse Bureau
Follow

ShareEmailPrint

EPA/Shawn ThewPresident Obama in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, D.C. Wednesday. The president declared a major disaster area for New Jersey, expediting federal relief funds to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Irene.

TRENTON — President Obama has declared a major disaster area for New Jersey, expediting federal relief funds to deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Irene.

The move had been requested by Gov. Chris Christie and New Jersey’s congressional delegation.

“Hundreds of thousands of New Jersey families and business owners have endured incredible losses and stress during the last several days,” said U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-8th Dist.).

"Municipalities all over the state are operating beyond their budget in order to rebuild communities and continue basic municipal services. I am relieved that New Jersey residents and businesses will have an opportunity to be compensated by the federal government and I will ensure that FEMA is adequately responsive to my constituents.”

Obama's announcement comes days after he declared a state of emergency for the Garden State, a move that made federal resources and funds available for Irene's cleanup. Monday, Christie lobbied the president to make the state a disaster area, enabling federal funds to help individuals and communities recover from the Hurricane immediately without first having to go through assessments.

Obama plans to visit Paterson, in Pascrell’s district, on Sunday.

Soruce: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/pres_obama_declares_nj_a_major.html

Obama is going to visit Paterson, NJ on this Sunday to take a tour of the flooded area! :) :(

Back