How will UK commemorate 25th June?

bobmoo79

Proud Member
MODS: Can you change the title from 'celebrate' to 'commemorate'? THANKS!

I have been wondering how Michael Jackson's first anniversary will be commemorated in the UK. Despite all the negative stories the UK press threw at Mike over the years, Mike always had a strong following here.

This may seem morbid, but I do think Mike deserves the event to be remembered somehow and so I have contacted various radio and TV stations to ask what they plan to do to celebrate / commemorate the first anniversary of Mike's death, and will list their responses here if / when I receive them.

It's not a good start I'm afraid.

BBC Radio 2: (the UK's most listened-to radio station)

Dear Chris,
Many thanks for your message.
Radio 2 has no plans to mark Michael Jackson's anniversary. :no:
We hope this answers your query.
Best wishes,
Radio 2.

BBC Radio 1:
Dear Chris,

Thanks for your email.

I'm not aware of any at the moment but will pass your message on.

Best Wishes,

The Radio 1 Team

ITV:
Dear Chris
Thank you for your email regarding Michael Jackson

ITV's schedules are only confirmed for 10 days ahead, so I regret that I am unable to provide any information this far ahead. If you care to contact us again nearer to the time then we may may be able to advise.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to contact us here at ITV as we always welcome viewers feedback.

Regards

ITV VIEWER SERVICES – AT

If you have asked similary questions in the media, please let us know what they said in this thread.

Last edited:
Re: How will UK celebrate 25th June?

i would have at least expected somesort of mtv all day long tribute

i think we should celebrate his birthday date, not his death date

Celebrate his death? WTH?!!!!!

I think its more about celebrating his life, not his death

Well there has been a lot of MJ top 40, 20 ect. on TV alot recently on Kiss, Channel 4 music, and Smash hits, and his music has come on the 80's hours and other shows a lot more, so I just guess there will be a few top 10 MJ songs or something like that,
I don't mind anyway as I probobly won't watch TV that day..

There should be something put on here in the UK for MJ. For me personally, it will not
be a day of mourning, but will be a celebratin of his life. I have read (think on here)
that there is a fan meet up thing on that day, St James Pk, London. Not sure if i am
going to go to London, but i would love to, but depends if i am able to afford it, as
i am a lone-parent.

The OP didn't mean celebrate his death - they probably worded it wrong. They obviously meant celebrating his life.

There should be something put on here in the UK for MJ. For me personally, it will not
be a day of mourning, but will be a celebratin of his life. I have read (think on here)
that there is a fan meet up thing on that day, St James Pk, London. Not sure if i am
going to go to London, but i would love to, but depends if i am able to afford it, as
i am a lone-parent.

MJJC is indeed organising an event in London. It won't be a party atmosphere, more a chance to meet up, talk to other fans, light candles and have a drink and something to eat together. It should be a great day:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87607

Hannah x

I have been wondering how Michael Jackson's first anniversary will be celebrated in the UK. Despite all the negative stories the UK press threw at Mike over the years, Mike always had a strong following here.

This may seem morbid, but I do think Mike deserves the event to be remembered somehow and so I have contacted various radio and TV stations to ask what they plan to do to celebrate / commemorate the first anniversary of Mike's death, and will list their responses here if / when I receive them.

It's not a good start I'm afraid.

BBC Radio 2: (the UK's most listened-to radio station)

Dear Chris,
Many thanks for your message.
Radio 2 has no plans to mark Michael Jackson's anniversary. :no:
We hope this answers your query.
Best wishes,
Radio 2.

Very soon after Mike died, Steven Gateley from 'Boyzone' died and although it didn't receive anywhere near the amount of coverage Mike's death did, the estate was very quick to react. They very quickly released a new album, and the remaining band members appeared in a TV tribute on mainstream TV. So far neither of these has happened for Mike in the UK, which is very disappointing.

If you have asked similary questions in the media, please let us know what they said in this thread.

If it was Paul McCartney, they would, but Michael? Forget it.

I would much rather celebrate Michael's life on August 29th

i think we should celebrate his birthday date, not his death date

I agree, the title of this thread is rather confusing :ph34r:
How anyone can celebrate June 25th when there's nothing to celebrate.

this is sooo sad. england is where it was all gonna kick off again for MJ and the fans. SIGGHHH I was so thankful to be living here a year ago. but now i hate it :/

Um yeah, I worded the topic badly.

I meant a day of celebration for celebrating MJ's life and career. Not really celebrating his death.

sorry about the confusion.

Sadly I haven't had any responses from any other media yet.

Perhaps you could all write emails too?

I think we'll get all the usual all day showings of all his videos such as Top 20 MJ videos and stuff like that on all the major music channels. Apart from that I've not heard of any tributes happening here in the UK, I'm sure many people will flock to London where they can visit his waxwork at Madame Tussaud's and go to the Thriller musical.

UPDATE:

BBC Radio 1:
Dear Chris,

Thanks for your email.

I'm not aware of any at the moment but will pass your message on.

Best Wishes,

The Radio 1 Team

A silent prayer for him on June 25. Stevie Wonder concert in Hyde Park on June 26th. And if Stevie doesn't pay his respects, I'll be amazed - he's played MJ tributes almost every night since Michael's passing.

A silent prayer for him on June 25. Stevie Wonder concert in Hyde Park on June 26th. And if Stevie doesn't pay his respects, I'll be amazed - he's played MJ tributes almost every night since Michael's passing.

I'm going to that and I'm expecting Stevie to sign a few Michael songs. I know I'll be in buckets of tears though when he does :cry:

UPDATE (ITV):

Dear Chris
Thank you for your email regarding Michael Jackson

ITV's schedules are only confirmed for 10 days ahead, so I regret that I am unable to provide any information this far ahead. If you care to contact us again nearer to the time then we may may be able to advise.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to contact us here at ITV as we always welcome viewers feedback.

Regards

ITV VIEWER SERVICES – AT

Ur going to Hard Rock Calling?! Are you just going on the one day then?

Yeah, just for the day. Just wana see Stevie :) A lot of us are going, Becca is going, Stacey is going so its like a mini MJJC meet up. Plus we figured after the day before we're gonna need a pick me up. I'm dreading June 25th, I really am :(

Back