How to do MJ's Spin?

Gatesy2006

Proud Member
Does anyone have any dancing tips on how to do MJ's spin? I can do it but can only spin twice at the most before I lose momentum, anyone any tips?

Apologies if this is wrong section!

Does anyone have any dancing tips on how to do MJ's spin? I can do it but can only spin twice at the most before I lose momentum, anyone any tips?

Apologies if this is wrong section!

I recently found some good youtube videos the other day on how to do MJs famous moves. Seem quite good, but I haven't tried them yet. Try this...

Last edited:
I guess lots of practice...and that vid will help definately but at the end of the day it is practice alll the way...
note even michael couldn't do the spin as continiously until around the bad, dangerous era.
it shows he also had to practice it on it very much. and now look!

Michael did five spins on Motown 25, and dude was spinning like a top, without losing momentum, even around 75, 76. He could always spin tightly and quickly and keep it up.

I looked this up recently, cos I've had dance classes since I was 4, and his spins would never fail to amaze me. I always used to try and do it failing horribly! I was convince Michael had some kind of gravity defying magical ability :p. Now it all makes sense :lol:

forget it. lol. it's a gift. i saw him do it on the wiz dvd. it's a michael thing. a lot of people spin, and a lot of people moonwalk, but they don't do either like Mike. even in that o.p. vid, that guy is never shown full body from a distance and he didn't look like he was doing it right.

When I was a kid trying to learn the spins I'd spin ~2½ times and right into the chest of drawers, that shit hurted... real bad... :D

When I was a kid trying to learn the spins I'd spin ~2½ times and right into the chest of drawers, that shit hurted... real bad... :D

Yea that was pretty much my experience as well! lol

I do think the guy in the vid has the right foot technique, just hasn't got the upper body style right...its just a bit...erm....camp??!?

There are other vids as well...moonwalk being one of them, which is quite good cos it doesn't just focus on the feet

Last edited:
Lol i can sorta do the spin...but not very much.. :lol: :blush:

see..Michael looks like he's not thinking about it.
you never know when he's going to do it...but when he does do it, it's like it took him over.

here's him spinning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD2OsUcgb00

edit: i would have added the link from the 2001 mtv awards when MJ performed with NSync(and demonstrated that knockout spin) but, 'coincidentally', mtv took it down from youtube, due to a copyright claim, on the seventh of march, when...lol....the london sellouts occured, and mtv america started their idea of 'experimenting' with bringing back videos, in the wee hours of the morning. hmmm..do i sense that mtv is reseeing the value of MJ? and that things are looking up for MJ in many other avenues?

Last edited:
I can do about 2 or 3 revolutions on the spin. The key is to spin fast so it looks like your going longer. I have been trying to do more than 2 or 3 spins though. Will have to check out that video...

I tried to do his spin only once, and when I made myself so dizzy that I fell flat on my butt and actually bruised my tailbone, I decided I'd leave it to the expert! lol

i dont even get dizzy anymore. when i was like 3 and 4 i remember getting headaches tho lol

Back