How much did Michael Jackson really earn?

putte

Proud Member
I know that this may not be an important question to many.

But I think it would be very interesting to know how much money Michael Jackson really earned. I`m sure we never really will have the exact figure. I have heard a lot of different figures true the years and sometimes its almost understandable low knowing that Jackson had such huge success with a lot of albums and tours and sponsorship.

It is said that Jackson donated his income from tours to charity. But would it be fair to speculate that his enormous debts may not have been as huge if he had taken the money himself?

If I don't remember wrong its scary how low his income was the last couple of years before he died.

What was his stake on This is it tour? Could that really solve his money problems? what do you think?

Yes I know a lot of questions

Is that really important?
He earn a big amount of money,few millions between different figures are insignificant :D
Yes he did donate for charity and that kind off stuff.
And then you have to know that he has a lot of his people-bodyguards,doctors,maid,batler...
And ofcourse his expenses on pricey things (remember Bashires documentary where he spend over 1 million pounds for furniture),then loan for house,maintenance of Neverland,life style etc...
One of his tour promotor sais that he was always inovative in touring and that he barely earn anything from tickets sales,because of cost of tehnology inovations (Dangerous-rocket man,TII 3D screen..).
Although he make money from selling rights for showing his concerts on tv.
He really loved his fans and wanted to give them best concerts ever.
One intersting fact:
"DID YOU KNOW
HIStory tour 1996/97 Michael Jackson refused to have high priced tickets and picked a price 14,50$ and 15,50$ per ticket which left him -25 million $ in losses in first leg of the tour.He wanted his fans to have fun not to break the bank."

I dont know whats his stake for TII tour,but i belive he would earn a lot of money at the end.
He could easily sold 200 shows (since tickets for 50 shows were gone in few minutes!).
He had debt but he would be back on his feet.
And if he put future income in bank to saving he would earn a lot of money just on interest. :O
He had ideas for more project that includes acting,producing...(His special tv show on Halloween with him as host showing his movies like Ghosts,Thriller... http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...loween-TV-Special-In-2009?highlight=HALLOWEEN ,and produce movie “They Cage The Animals At Night” ,Pinocchio 3000...)
So yea he would be rich again :)
Hope this helps.
p.s. yeah,i ask many questions too ;D

Back in the 80s, He probably made 100-200 million dollars, and then later He made 30-50 million dollars a year. This is just a guess, It could be more or less during these years.

I don't think we'll every really know the true figure. He had money coming in from everywhere: his albums, his catalog holdings, licensing, investments ect.

He donated his share of the tour earning because he said he didn't need the money and there was plenty of other people out there it could be helping. If he was in that dire of financial straits I don't think he would have shelled out his money to charity like this.

The people running the Estate said that the biggest source of Micheal's money problems was Michael himself. He kept spending money like it was 1984. The Estate has five warehouses full of Micheal's stuff as proof of that.

As far as This Is It goes, from what I have read, Michael had no choice really but to go out and tour again. He had borrowed against the ATV catalog and was in deep with Sony. He hadn't released an album in eight years so there wasn't much money on that front except from sales and royalties of his back catalog. He had somewhere around 20 open lawsuits against him asking for millions: ex. John Landis and Ola Ray suing for not being paid for the 2001 re-release and the 2008 25th Edition of Thriller.

all I could really say is Michael would have HAD to have made over a billion dollars in his lifetimes.. Overtime that is!

It would be silly to even try to guess but for the heck of it, i agree with KOPV's estimation :)

There is just no way to bring numbers to that, we can only count wants on the public books... There are side projects that we have no idea if he got paid or got royalties for, various venues/public appearances he visited that celebs often would get paid to show up but we don't know which or any of these he got paid for, and if he did how much... the list is very very long outside the public books of knowledge..

All we know if we count up the recorded info it goes over 1 billion, (never actually a billionaire in the terms we use it) but throughout his life royalties have been paid out to him (according to our knowledge) over $1 billion

While digging around a little I found this:
jp7ss5.jpg

If you can't read what it says: "Guinness World Record Certificate. The most successful entertainer of all time is Michael Jackson (USA) who in 1989 alone earned $125 million from single and album sales."

If you are really interested in in Michael's finances. Zack O'Malley has done a lot of research on the subject and he is a well respected writer and MJ fan. But he will write the facts not just all positive to cater to fans. He will not disrespect MJ in his book. or write Tabloid trash either.

Michael Jackson, Inc. Zack O'Malley Greenburg, Forbes Staff
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...-Staff/page4?p=3952153&viewfull=1#post3952153

While digging around a little I found this:
jp7ss5.jpg

If you can't read what it says: "Guinness World Record Certificate. The most successful entertainer of all time is Michael Jackson (USA) who in 1989 alone earned $125 million from single and album sales."

What year was this?

Back