how many remixes is too much for a song?

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
thinking about Usher's love in this club and all the various mixes an folks who are on board on that one song got me thinking when is it too much for a song with several remixes,etc..?? are you the person who says 1-3 or you need up to 5? speak on it.

I have two different maxi singles for "In The Closet". They both have 8 mixes. So that is 15 different mixes (one contains a remix for "Remember The Time"). So that might be overkill, lol. I also have a few Mariah Carey 12" singles and most of them have at least 10 mixes. I have Janet's "State Of The World" and it has 13 mixes. I don't really get into remixes today, most of the ones I have are 1980s.

no harm done on any amount. a lot of the time the same remixer could make more than one mix of the same tune and on the same disc or the original producer might want to showcase their different cuts.

speaking of ^ In The Closet, i love all three of Kiyamma Griffin's mixes (Newark, Freestyle, KI's 12") and actually think the Newark Mix comes close to the original and i consider a lot of remixes to be better than the original.

remixes also cater for different tastes and styles and outlets (club, after-club, or just plain street as opposed to the mainstream pop of the original) so i think the more the merrier.

What's different about Mariah's is that she actually participates in the remixes and records different vocals for each mix (Destiny's Child and Bell Biv Devoe did this as well), rather than most mixes where it's just some different music over the original song's vocals.

Last edited:
Remixes is an interesting medium but yeah, sometimes it goes too far, like the cases where the labels just pump out mixes that really has no intention at all (Kanye West's Billie Jean mix is a superb example)..

What's different about Mariah's is that she actually participates in the remixes and records different vocals for each mix (Destiny's Child and Bell Biv Devoe did this as well), rather than most mixes where it's just some different music over the original song's vocals.

I always considered "remixes" that have re-recorded material like many R.Kelly mixes is more like making a kind of "part 2" type of thing or doing a new version of a song than making a real remix. Don't get me wrong thou, nothing wrong in tracks like that, just the fact that remixing originates in the experimentation of mixing sounds, hence the name remix.

i consider a lot of remixes to be better than the original.
This was certainly the case in the 1980s. I remember the radio would play the remix of a song, but if you bought the album, the version on there sometimes was lame or not as good.

This was certainly the case in the 1980s. I remember the radio would play the remix of a song, but if you bought the album, the version on there sometimes was lame or not as good.

You're absolutely right - remixes used to have such a great importance, and in rare cases they still have.

The version of "Whitney Houston - It's Not Right But It's OK" that people mostly heard was the Thunderpuss Remix, that was the version that got airplay and that she performed live with.
The video featured the Thunderpuss remix also If I'm not mistaken - it was a huuuge hit!
BTW, Whitney sang to the Freemasons remix edit of Million Dollar Bill on X-factor a while ago.

Another great remix moment is "Madonna - What It Feels Like For A Girl" where the video version featured Above & Beyond's fantastic remix.

Man, I just miss going to the record store picking up Maxi Singles that is filled with remixes - that was my high light as a kid.
Today's remixes are for the most part absolutely redundant.

Mmm, I guess more than 10 or 15, maybe? I don't mind remixes for a song as long as they each have something different to offer. A lot of instances have artist just hand over their original vocals and give it to some producer, making it a "typical remix". Nah, I want some creativity, to make it a different song, with a different feeling, like with Mariah, as someone said here. Otherwise, don't bother.

You're absolutely right - remixes used to have such a great importance, and in rare cases they still have.

The version of "Whitney Houston - It's Not Right But It's OK" that people mostly heard was the Thunderpuss Remix, that was the version that got airplay and that she performed live with.
The video featured the Thunderpuss remix also If I'm not mistaken - it was a huuuge hit!
BTW, Whitney sang to the Freemasons remix edit of Million Dollar Bill on X-factor a while ago.
Didn't like that. I like the original album mix. Here's some songs where I like the remix or extended version better than the regular album mix.

No One Is To Blame ~ Howard Jones {The single had Phil Collins on drums and background vocals and the album version didn't, although I like it too.}
Hard Day (Shep Pettibone Mix) ~ George Michael
Everything She Wants ~ Wham!
Freedom (Single Remix) ~ Wham!
Bad (False Fade Mix) ~ Michael Jackson
You Can't Win (Part 1 & 2) ~ Michael Jackson
Torture ~ The Jacksons
State Of Shock ~ The Jacksons
Smooth Criminal (Extended Dance Mix) & (Annie Mix) ~ Michael Jackson
Dynamite ~ Jermaine Jackson
Don't Take It Personal ~ Jermaine Jackson
Do What You Do ~ Jermaine Jackson
I Wanna Sex You Up ~ Color Me Badd
All of the singles from Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison" album.
NE Heartbreak ~ New Edition
Every Little Step ~ Bobby Brown
Like A Prayer (12" Club Mix) ~ Madonna
Keep It Together (12" Remix) ~ Madonna
Angel ~ Madonna
Erotica ~ Madonna
Don't You Want Me ~ Jody Watley
Real Love ~ Jody Watley
Secret Rendevous ~ Karyn White
Keep On Walking ~ CeCe Penniston
Things That Make You Go Hmmm... ~ C+C Music Factory
Show Me ~ Cover Girls
Point Of No Return ~ Expose
Miss You Much (Mama Mix) ~ Janet Jackson
Pleasure Principle ~ Janet Jackson
Rhythm Nation ~ Janet Jackson
We'll Be Together ~ Sting
If You Love Somebody (Set Them Free) ~ Sting
Early In The Morning ~ Gap Band
Party Lights ~ Gap Band
Beep A Freak ~ Gap Band
Big Fun ~ Gap Band
You Dropped A Bomb On Me (12" Version) ~ Gap Band
Anotherloverholenyohead ~ Prince & The Revolution
Kiss ~ Prince & The Revolution
Thieves In The Temple ~ Prince
Let's Work ~ Prince
Partyman (Video Mix) & (Purple Party Mix) ~ Prince
Scandelous (Scandelous Sex Suite) ~ Prince
Housequake (7 Minutes MoQuake) ~ Prince
Method Of Modern Love ~ Daryl Hall & John Oates
I Can't Go For That ~ Daryl Hall & John Oates
Always Be My Baby (with Da Brat & Xscape) ~ Mariah Carey
Notorious ~ Duran Duran
The Reflex ~ Duran Duran
I Don't Want Your Love ~ Duran Duran
Back And Forth ~ Cameo
She's Strange (12" Rap Version) ~ Cameo
Dance Little Sister ~ Terrence Trent D'Arby
Do It Again ~ Falco
The Sound Of Muzik ~ Falco
Why You Treat Me So Bad ~ Club Nouveau
Hurt Me! Hurt Me! ~ Samantha Fox
Too Late ~ Junior
I Wonder If I Take You Home ~ Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
Buddy ~ De La Soul & others

There's a lot more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Didn't like that. I like the original album mix. Here's some songs where I like the remix or extended version better than the regular album mix.

Torture ~ The Jacksons
You Dropped A Bomb On Me (12" Version) ~ Gap Band

You have quite a fantastic taste in music.

Just so that I've not missed anything - with Torture you're referring to the video version that build up more and not a complete different remix - right?

I love that Gap Band song, only heard the regular version before I now found this one - is this the 12" version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRadA7074wk
Never heard it with that little intro before.

Another remix that not necessary is better than the original but is still on point is the Blackstreet remix of "Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely".
Everybody's talking about Timbaland's beatboxing - but Teddy ain't bad, especially if you listen to the instrumental. (If you want, I can hook you up if you don't have it)

I'm late as hell, but I'm just starting to learn about Prince's Crystal Ball project.
I didn't knew until today that there are several different versions (and an original version) or "LoveSign (Shock G's Silky Remix)"
That remix shits on many, real talk.

There's a lot more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

LOL, I can't even think of that many original Michael Jackson songs off the top of my head :lol:

You have quite a fantastic taste in music.

Just so that I've not missed anything - with Torture you're referring to the video version that build up more and not a complete different remix - right?
Yeah, that's the version on the maxi single with Jackie ad libbing at the end. There's an instrumental on the other side.

I love that Gap Band song, only heard the regular version before I now found this one - is this the 12" version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRadA7074wk
Never heard it with that little intro before.
No, that's the album version {Gap Band IV}. The version without an intro is the 45 single edit. A lot of songs back then were cut for the singles as they were too long. The 12" version is a little over 13 minutes long.

Another remix that not necessary is better than the original but is still on point is the Blackstreet remix of "Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely".
Everybody's talking about Timbaland's beatboxing - but Teddy ain't bad, especially if you listen to the instrumental. (If you want, I can hook you up if you don't have it)

I'm late as hell, but I'm just starting to learn about Prince's Crystal Ball project.
I didn't knew until today that there are several different versions (and an original version) or "LoveSign (Shock G's Silky Remix)"
That remix shits on many, real talk.

LOL, I can't even think of that many original Michael Jackson songs off the top of my head :lol:
The "Crystal Ball" that he released in the mid 1990s has nothing to do with the original 3 record set he was planning to release around 1987, but Warner Brothers refused. A lot of the original "Crystal Ball" wound up being the "Sign O' The Times" album. Some of the "Crystal Ball" songs wound up on bootlegs. Others were released in different versions on other albums like "We Can Funk" on the "Grafitti Bridge" album. The version on "Grafitti Bridge" has George Clinton, the original didn't and was recorded with The Revolution. A few songs did wind up on the 1990s "Crystal Ball", but that was just a lot of unreleased stuff and demos and a newly recorded album called "The Truth".

Honey (So So Def Mix feat. JD and Da Brat) - Mariah Carey
My All/Stay Awhile - Mariah Carey
Got Till It's Gone (Jay Dee Revenge Mix) - Janet Jackson
I Miss You (Dobie's Rub Part One Mix) - Bjork

Just some highlights for me. Especially the first two, which fits into the "different song/aura" desscription.

Gosh, I am sooo on the wall with remixes. They're either really good or really bad to me. There's no in-between. And this generally happens within the first listen for me. I'll be able to tell if I like it or don't like it on the first go around.

That being said, 1 remix will do it for me. I don't need 4-5 different kinds. Although I will point out that it is nice to choose which one you like with the multiple remixed songs.

Remixes are a blessing and a curse.

Remixes are a blessing and a curse.

Wow so well said...

Some artists I love for their remixes and enjoy the 15 different versions as every single one brings a new feeling. Others I just don't bother listening to. I rarely pick up singles anymore everything has gone so mainstreem and boring. I miss those remix days and the odd radio programs playing them - Everything all about music and enjoing music. maybe now the internet offers what I've been missing, any good sugestions for interesting radiostations?

Any amount is fair game. Quality is another issue.

Some of my favorite remixes:

MJ - They Don't Care About Us (Charley's Dirty Remix)

Dru Hill - In My Bed (SoSo Def Remix)

Prince - The Greatest Romance Ever Sold (Neptunes Remix with Q-Tip)

John Legend - Selfish (Solo Remix/Remix with Kanye West) (Original version produced by Dilla featuring Slum Village with Legend/Kanye)

R. Kelly with Ron Isley - Down Low (Live To Regret It Mix)

R. Kelly - Homie, Lover, Friend (Lookin' For My Homie Remix)

R. Kelly does a lot of remixes where he basically creates a whole new track. He really needs to go back to those days.

A lot of instances have artist just hand over their original vocals and give it to some producer, making it a "typical remix". Nah, I want some creativity, to make it a different song, with a different feeling, like with Mariah, as someone said here. Otherwise, don't bother.
If someone makes a different song, it's not really a remix. It's more of a song with a different arrangement. James Brown did a lot of this, re-recording different versions of earlier songs.

Back